SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I had full faith in Mike and glad to see Chaves is basically giving him the opening to get the experience he wants. Hopefully he takes full advantage of the opportunity as it should only strengthen the athletic department. In return, Chaves is going to make raising money a bit easier. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

This is a good start, there's potential here for a great athletic department.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Still can’t come up with reasons why Faison was so bad and what he could have done differently. You have to result to name calling. 

Darrell - I think if you would go back and read some of the posts (including mine), you would see what many feel were Faison's shortfalls.  However, at this point, there is no need to talk about it any further - it is history.  I do think Brian did some very positive things - most importantly, his coaching hires. 

So after looking at your responses in this thread, and your hatred for Faison, what should have been done differently? Budgets too low, how would you have gained more money for them when 2 governors are cutting your schools budget? Mussman didn't give the football team confidence as he sucked as a coach. He did nothing for this school and Faison's only fault in that was giving him an extension after the GWFC Championship in 2011. Easy fix to make salaries go up...cut Brad Berry's salary and pass that money around. But that would be political suicide from the hockey fans so instead he had to find money elsewhere while balancing a cut budget, cut sports was given an option as cutting education is not the way to go (even though some of it did get the axe). So he trimmed the fat by getting rid of women's hockey (which is still be talked about by the GFH and NYT), swimming, baseball and golf (funded if they can come up with the money). He had a lot on his plate and with the end of transition on the horizon and finding a conference with the nickname issue wasn't going to be as easy as USD had it. So I see your hatred, but what specifically could he have done to gain your respect?

• Upvote 1

Faison was horrible in my opinion and held UND back relative to what it was capable of.  That's my opinion. There's a reason he was fired.

I think Chaves will be much, much better and I am looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish, if nothing else from a personality and relationship standpoint.

Lets move on from Faison.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

When you're the face of the athletic department, not being a "prick" is part of the job.  During one of the greatest economic periods in ND history, we had an AD who donors didn't like.

The process to hire Bubba was also a joke.

Had no idea he was like that outside of his office and not on the field taking pictures. My favorite AD's of all time were Roger Thomas and Gino. They are really nice outside of the office work, and in touch with people. Had no idea that Faison could snub people like you describe. 

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Faison was horrible in my opinion and held UND back relative to what it was capable of.  That's my opinion. There's a reason he was fired.

I think Chaves will be much, much better and I am looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish, if nothing else from a personality and relationship standpoint.

Lets move on from Faison.

Do you think being from EWU and turning that school around will help us. I hope it does.

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Had no idea he was like that outside of his office and not on the field taking pictures. My favorite AD's of all time were Roger Thomas and Gino. They are really nice outside of the office work, and in touch with people. Had no idea that Faison could snub people like you describe. 

Gino???  Holy sh-t Darrel.  

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Gino???  Holy sh-t Darrel.  

He was a nice guy outside of work, and his wife was my health teacher at Central. Really nice people. I have no idea about his AD skills were as I was just a kid, but I know he was a good hockey coach.:)

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

BF was pretty good at the behind the scenes, nuts-and-bolts, administrative part of the job. He managed to get UND to convince a D1 conference to add UND in which they don't really geographically fit (which saved UND from independence purgatory, and then eventually got UND into closer conferences, one of which kept publicly saying they weren't expanding and had no reason to (other than some begging by the Summit). He also was one of the main drivers behind creating the strongest hockey conference in the nation, which saved the hockey program from being held back by some non-like minded schools in the WCHA. On top of that, he dealt with a whole pile of crap most AD's would never have to dream of (D1 transition, nickname issue, cutting sports). Could he have been a better public face and fundraiser? No doubt. But he managed some tough waters on the administrative side and has left a pretty clean plate for Chaves to step in and do his thing.

I disagree. With the exception of the NCHC, which I cant say for sure, Faison was FORCED to do most everything else. Kennedy and Schafer were the ones doing his job for him. Kennedy specifically gave directives on the Summit/MVFC and the budget cuts, which Faison should have proactively been in front of on his own. 

Football alums were told by Faison that the Summit/MVFC had no interest in having UND in their conference.That was all Kennedy's doing. Kennedy arrives on campus and magically the tone changes within the next 6-9 months for the Summit/MVFC? He was a hindrance more than anything regarding the conference move.

His hyper-delegation of duties and responsibilities were another big problem. Repeatedly falling asleep in important administrative meetings was another. Faison fell short in so many areas and basically just coasted when he was allowed to.  It's no coicidence that Faison was forced out when he was. Kennedy had seen and had enough in a very short time period.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Smile and/or say hi when someone tries to talk to him.  It would've been really easy.

I've carried on better conversations with myself than I have with BF.........................................................................to describe him as a public "prick", as some have, is being very kind.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I disagree. With the exception of the NCHC, which I cant say for sure, Faison was FORCED to do most everything else. Kennedy and Schafer were the ones doing his job for him. Kennedy specifically gave directives on the Summit/MVFC and the budget cuts, which Faison should have proactively been in front of on his own. 

Football alums were told by Faison that the Summit/MVFC had no interest in having UND in their conference.That was all Kennedy's doing. Kennedy arrives on campus and magically the tone changes within the next 6-9 months for the Summit/MVFC? He was a hindrance more than anything regarding the conference move.

His hyper-delegation of duties and responsibilities were another big problem. Repeatedly falling asleep in important administrative meetings was another. Faison fell short in so many areas and basically just coasted when he was allowed to.  It's no coicidence that Faison was forced out when he was. Kennedy had seen and had enough in a very short time period.

You obviously have some insight I don't, but the Big Sky and NCHC happened well before Schafer ever stepped on campus. I know for a fact that while it was publicly stated that there was no interest from the Summit/MVFC, that there still was continuous contact by UND gauging interest and let it be known that they were open to the possibility, again, well before either ever made it to campus. Were the budget cuts that were unattainable without a giant shift the final straws that put the move over the edge? Without a doubt, but that still doesn't happen without previous groundwork laid. Yes, Kennedy was involved, but considering University President's have the final say on conference affiliations, that is no surprise. The timing with some possible upcoming issues with other MVFC schools and more schools leaving the Summit certainly didn't hurt matters either, basically forcing the Summit to make a move and knowing that it couldn't be made without the MVFC's help.

The overlap between the two presidents you mentioned and BF was 2 years out of his 9.5+ year tenure. I think he probably stayed in the job 1-2 years too long but with the other turmoil on campus, it would have been even worse to try to bring a new person into that role and handle some of the messes he dealt with. Like I said, he was far from perfect, but to say he didn't do anything good is a stretch.