SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Debatable? Not really.......Buning was a trainwreck and BF was marginally better. Just a 3 car pile up.

Chaves might not be "Mike" to some in the UND network but Bill will be better than our previous two ADs... guaranteed.

I was trying to be nice.  (Shocking, I know!!)

4 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Agree to a degree but a good AD:

--  knows who the larger donors are

--  acknowledges donors/supporters when he is in the same room with them or meets them on the street

--  accompanies the above folks once in awhile when they meet with donors (whether it means a trip to Bismarck or for a lunch in GF)

I think your point is the same as mine but and AD needs to acknowledge donors/supports regardless of how much they give.  I am not a big donor but a big supporter and small donor. 

BF wouldn't know me if I bit him in the arse even though I have met him a number of times and Brekke has introduced us a couple of times.  MM and Brekke get it and make those contacts and do acknowledge me when we are around each other.

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

.....at this point in time with the four finalists available the right choice was made. I talked to someone last night at the Ralph with deep ties to the athletic department that was in total agreement on the hire. He also said Mike, at some point, could be a very fine AD. 

Less than a year before everyone calls for his head because he didn’t fire a coach!

9 hours ago, tnt said:

Less than a year before everyone calls for his head because he didn’t fire a coach!

If many UND fans/supporters want to stop complaining about UND being a "hockey only" school then specifically the MBB and FB programs need to be elevated and have more consistency as far as being winning programs. IMO Jones is and has been a train wreck..........last year was a mirage. Bubba can't continue to get by as a "GOBC" pick. If you're into mediocrity just let UND-FB-FAN know...........he'd like to have a word with you!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If many UND fans/supporters want to stop complaining about UND being a "hockey only" school then specifically the MBB and FB programs need to be elevated and have more consistency as far as being winning programs. IMO Jones is and has been a train wreck..........last year was a mirage. Bubba can't continue to get by as a "GOBC" pick. If your into mediocrity just let UND-FB-FAN know...........he'd like to have a word with you!

Faison messed up the timing on the Jones extensions and if it had been handled correctly he would be in final year of contract now.

I love Bubba, but he is going to have to own the 2018 season under any circumstances. His recruits, his coaching staff. Any issues of talent shortfall or depth issues can not be accepted as excuses but should be looked at as issues within the overall program at this point.

• Upvote 1

If Faison was leaving a department that was humming along like a well-oiled machine, with experienced staff in all roles (not staff that just got outside review by 300 Twamley's consultants to see if they had the right skills mix), sure MM would be good to bring in and as he said in his interview, depend on this staff.

That's not where the department is right now. 

But, now is not the time to bring in a guy (no disrespect intended) that does not know what he does not know. Right now you need an AD that has "been there, done that", that knows what's what, and can recognize strengths and weaknesses in the department. 

Alternatively, Kennedy did a very smart thing: He brought to his staff what he doesn't have, namely, a ton of NCAA/Athletics administrative experience. Good leaders don't surround themselves with clones or "yes-men", they surround themselves with people that fill in their own weaknesses. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

To me, this quote is a red-flag of the disconnect between the committee and Kennedy. If this is a true statement, than why interview Elliot? If the President believes this, than they wasted time and money bringing her to campus. Also, how many of the 12 video interviews were people without hockey knowledge? 

“I think you need to know and love hockey to be able to effectively lead an athletics department at UND,” Kennedy said. “He’s been at three athletic programs that have had hockey. His son plays hockey. We’re looking forward to him immersing himself into the hockey culture here. He’s well along the way knowing what it takes to succeed in hockey.”

I'm not arguing whether Kennedy's statement is true... or that Bill is a good choice. My beef is with the process of the committee knowing what the decision maker wants. This is important because there will be future hires at UND using this same method.

2 minutes ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

My beef is with the process of the committee knowing what the decision maker wants. 

The committee shouldn't know the president needs an AD to run his FCS athletics department that includes a top-tier hockey program? 

10 minutes ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

To me, this quote is a red-flag of the disconnect between the committee and Kennedy. If this is a true statement, than why interview Elliot? If the President believes this, than they wasted time and money bringing her to campus. Also, how many of the 12 video interviews were people without hockey knowledge? 

“I think you need to know and love hockey to be able to effectively lead an athletics department at UND,” Kennedy said. “He’s been at three athletic programs that have had hockey. His son plays hockey. We’re looking forward to him immersing himself into the hockey culture here. He’s well along the way knowing what it takes to succeed in hockey.”

I'm not arguing whether Kennedy's statement is true... or that Bill is a good choice. My beef is with the process of the committee knowing what the decision maker wants. This is important because there will be future hires at UND using this same method.

Not that it matters, but she did have a 3 year stint in a few different roles for the San Jose Sharks a while back. I believe it was more so on the guest relations/facilities side but it is at least something related to hockey. Overall, she probably had the widest variety of experience and I have no issue with her being a finalist. In fact, I'm hoping she gave a few examples of some areas she saw potential revenue, I think she had some good ideas that could be tapped into.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Not that it matters, but she did have a 3 year stint in a few different roles for the San Jose Sharks a while back. 

Actually that does matter. Maybe hockey was a criteria in who was brought to campus? If true, then i stand corrected.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The committee shouldn't know the president needs an AD to run his FCS athletics department that includes a top-tier hockey program? 

My premise is that if you need to know and love hockey, and people that were interviewed had zero hockey experience, than you aren't on the same page. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, Shawn-O said:

Me thinks a personal connection with Mike is clouding the picture for you.  

I'm just catching up on posts after being in Knoxville last weekend.  (was able to see U of Tennessee recruiting up close). I don't believe Gundy's connection to Mike "clouds the picture" but naturally there is some bias because he knows Mike.( I believe that may be what you meant).  I lot of posters know Mike and believe he would be able to do an excellent job.  I also think had Mike been the choice, he would have . I think UND picked the person who they think will do the best job and I  trust that decision.  I mentioned before, I didn't meet any of the others, review CV's, or contact references.  Therefore, I couldn't say Mike was the best guy for the job. 

I think UND made a good choice and hopefully Chaves will move all programs forward and improve facilities with the sense of urgency I think is required.

• Upvote 3

I guess I don’t know if MM plans to stick with his current job or with the UND athletic department but I feel like even though we didn’t hire MM we are still getting his influence within the department (assuming he stays) while also getting the guy they wanted with experience. 

• Upvote 1

It would be nice if Chaves could take Mannasau or some other UND person under his wings and gave him some real executive experience.  Some AD's just want to hog all the pertinent experiences for themselves like often happens in corporations.  Healthy organizations are always grooming internal people to eventually take over.  In my mind, that has been a problem with UND leadership for more than a decade, as they are so intent on holding any power strings and vetoing leadership development.  Look at the UNDEERC, the Business school, entrepreneurial school, the Law School and Kelley as examples.  The Aerospace school seems to be an exception.  Kennedy and Chaves should foster that development.

Portland St just got a new AD from Willamette College, Jan 1st.  Their old one high tailed it to Ga Tech to become a deputy assistant AD.

An awful lot of AD turnover, especially on the side of the weaker or lesser financed Big Sky programs.  The Portland St board seems pretty convinced that a Big Sky split will happen soon, so jdub and southpaw need to be posting there to give them their reassurances.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Portland St just got a new AD from Willamette College, Jan 1st.  Their old one high tailed it to Ga Tech to become a deputy assistant AD.

An awful lot of AD turnover, especially on the side of the weaker or lesser financed Big Sky programs.  The Portland St board seems pretty convinced that a Big Sky split will happen soon, so jdub and southpaw need to be posting there to give them their reassurances.

You are a year behind on that one, PSU's new AD started 1/1/17. But I'd love to see the link to where they are discussing it.

http://www.goviks.com/news/2016/12/5/portland-state-names-valerie-cleary-as-new-director-of-athletics.aspx

13 hours ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

The committee had no mandate to bring in only people who know about hockey.

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Healthy organizations are always grooming internal people to eventually take over. 

I learned long ago: 
The first line item in your job expectations is: train your replacement.
The second line item is: learn your next job so you're ready when you're needed. 

If you haven't trained your replacement, and learned enough for the next job, you'll never move up. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Where are these people who are convinced it's going to happen soon?  I'm seeing lots of posts between their fans citing a poster on the WAC board who has shown he is consistently crazy and wrong about these types of things.  So then I got bored and wandered over to the WAC board and sure enough, there is a poster named NoDak who has a strikingly similar condescending tone to his posts as you do.  And sure enough, everyone there thinks he is an idiot.  

• Like 1