SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Faison was under the fiscal "too many sports for the dollars" bus before he ever got here.

Lest we forget, Acting AD Phil Harmeson (post Buning fiasco) saw reality long before others dare face it

Phil also set us back how many years by purposely pushing for Tom Buning when Rob Bollinger was right there, in house, waiting for his dream job.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Found a link to Jim Dahls blog post on the candidates. http://blog.siouxsports.com/2008/02/25/a-look-at-unds-athletic-director-candidates/

Old thread that he links to with discussion for the last AD search http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/9441-unds-next-athletic-director/

Burke jumped to UTEP, then Tulane and is now at Iowa.

Hickman is still at Mizzou.

Leonard jumped to SMU and is now the Athletic Director at Towson State.

Sadler is head of Arizona Sports and Tourism

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, Mama Sue said:

Mike deserves a chance.... he is here and committed to UND. In health care we call this “growing your own.” Our school system has done this with the superintendent position and we could not be happier.  I hope Mike is considered and can advance UND’s mission.

I'd like to see Mike get the position. I told someone this weekend, I'd like to see football take the next step and get more funding. If possible.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Phil also set us back how many years by purposely pushing for Tom Buning when Rob Bollinger was right there, in house, waiting for his dream job.  

Yup. And Phil got the "bucket and mop" after Buning was let go. But, Phil was not permitted (as an acting) to do what needed to be done. 

Maybe a naive question, but is there some "certificate" or "license" or "official training" that someone needs to have completed to be recognized as an athletics director by the NCAA. Or is the position just a title and a school can name anyone to fill it. 

I found the posting, but here's all it lists for Qualifications and a lot of that is boilerplate: 

• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
  • Direct experience in NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics for 5 years preferred.
  • Significant demonstrated experience in strategic leadership, financial and personnel management, communications, decision-making, teamwork, and innovation applied at the senior leadership level.
  • Significant successful college athletic administrative experience with knowledge of NCAA regulations and certification procedures, Title IX compliance, and fiscal and operational complexities of an intercollegiate athletics program.
  • Demonstrated fund development and/or revenue generation experience.
  • Demonstrated ability to build consensus and cooperation among athletic staff and other stakeholders and navigate difficult environments when necessary.
  • Experience in negotiating facility agreements and developing long-term relationships with external partners.
  • Experience with budget development and management.

The successful candidate will have strong verbal, written, interpersonal, and organizational skills; the ability to communicate with a diverse student population; demonstrated strong leadership; and the willingness to be part of a collaborative team. The successful candidate must embody strong ethical and moral standards and the highest personal and professional integrity. The University welcomes applicants who are dedicated to enriching the quality of life for all students and the community by embracing the educational value of diversity; promoting environmental sustainability; encouraging engaged citizenship; and serving as an intellectual, cultural, and economic resource.

41 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Burke jumped to UTEP, then Tulane and is now at Iowa.

Hickman is still at Mizzou.

Leonard jumped to SMU and is now the Athletic Director at Towson State.

Sadler is head of Arizona Sports and Tourism

Makes the point, do we want Jonny Jumper or a guy that is 'ALL-IN'?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Rob Bollinger was the right choice last time and Mike is the right choice this time.

To put these two in the same bucket as far as readiness as a potential new AD in the timeframe for each process is a total stretch IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Makes the point, do we want Jonny Jumper or a guy that is 'ALL-IN'?

Well.......going with option #1 does open up the probability for a lot more people to get on a committee at UND at some point so there is that!

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

WMU or EWU guy and elevate Mike in the department.  I think most could live with this.  If not, it will be ugly.

Agreed.  Is Brekke close to retirement?  Thinking hire Chaves, promote Mannausau when Brekke retires, and we have our AD in waiting.

• Upvote 1

Again, what is President Kennedy looking for?

I'm assuming he's attending these forums to see how the candidate "handles a room".
I assume he's also interviewing each privately (as the AD is a direct member of his staff). 
And I assume he's not doing the private AD interviews 1-on-1 but with one or two others of his staff. 

Or, at least that's how I'll do it when all y'all make me Kennedy's successor one day. 

But ultimately, it's not what you or I think best, it's what President Kennedy is looking for.
And I trust Kennedy because he's shown he's willing to be bold and make tough calls to fit to his larger vision. 

• Upvote 4