SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

Mannassau's asset is that he is home grown.  He loves the University and has put down roots here.  I like that he has the football background as a former player and coach here, so I would think he would be more apt to put an emphasis on football, basketball, and all other sports.  I fear that Porter and the "Job-Jumper" are just looking at the hockey program as a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things.  

For those that have their sights set on a huge fund raiser, I'm not sure that Mannassau is the guy, personally.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Mannassau's asset is that he is home grown.  He loves the University and has put down roots here.  I like that he has the football background as a former player and coach here, so I would think he would be more apt to put an emphasis on football, basketball, and all other sports.  I fear that Porter and the "Job-Jumper" are just looking at the hockey program as a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things.  

For those that have their sights set on a huge fund raiser, I'm not sure that Mannassau is the guy, personally.  

Who is then?

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Who is then?

I don't know.

People bag on Faison for being aloof an not very personable to potential donors.  Personally, I don't feel that Mannassau has a stellar personality either.  Just my two cents.  

For me, it doesn't matter who is the AD, it won't affect my level of donations.  I support the University, not the guy or gal that is cashing the checks.  They will come and go.  The University will always be here, and so will I................

• Upvote 2

http://www.allstarleaderpodcast.com/episode033/

Was searching for a podcast where I could hear Bill Chaves speak and i found this gem.  Its basicly a guy asking Bill a bunch of leadership/job interview-like questions.  Im about a third of the way through and so far Bill has talked about what he looks for when he hires people and what his biggest challenge is at ewu.  Basically said that their pres focuses on academics and limits athletics recourses... talks about their relationship a tiny bit (if you can read between the lines, so to speak)

A topical listen if you have time.

Just a general note regarding the regime change at the top of UND athletics.........

I've always been a fan of Brian Faison's leadership.  

Does anyone else think it may be more than a coincidence that he his stepping down just before we enter membership into the Summit League? 

I loved the press conference he held a few years back where he basically called Summit Commissioner Tom Douple a lying P.O.S. when Douple alleged that the UND administration asked behind closed doors for the Summit League to use the nickname issue as a scapegoat for not offering membership at the time.   That was classic IMO.  Douple was trying to save face for us not joining his league, and Faison was basically giving him the middle finger.

But now we get to play NDSU more often, so all is forgiven...................................:silly:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Just a general note regarding the regime change at the top of UND athletics.........

I've always been a fan of Brian Faison's leadership.  

Does anyone else think it may be more than a coincidence that he his stepping down just before we enter membership into the Summit League? 

I loved the press conference he held a few years back where he basically called Summit Commissioner Tom Douple a lying P.O.S. when Douple alleged that the UND administration asked behind closed doors for the Summit League to use the nickname issue as a scapegoat for not offering membership at the time.   That was classic IMO.  Douple was trying to save face for us not joining his league, and Faison was basically giving him the middle finger.

But now we get to play NDSU more often, so all is forgiven...................................:silly:

You honestly think Faison is "stepping down"?  

21 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

No.

I think Kennedy wants a new guy.

And part of that is that is because Faison and Douple would have a horrible working relationship.

Kennedy said early on that it is important to him for UND to have "natural rivals", which means he wants to associate with NDSU as much as possible athletically.  

I think Faison had a bigger vision for UND sports.  But most folks around here would rather topple NDSU in anything rather than blaze a new path...................

Faison’s vision? A shoestring budget for most sports screams vision to me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Faison... in the latest sit down and cheer podcast, he stated that he prided himself on not dropping any sports, but had no choice with the budget cuts.  Later in the podcast he says that UND probably should have cut sports at the beginning of the transition.  wtf faison.

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Budgets and salaries went up under his watch for football and basketball.   He got the High Performance Center done as well as many upgrades to the Alerus and the  Betty.  The stature of volleyball has gone through the roof since he's been here.  He hung onto Mussman and Jones for too long.  Hardee ended badly but be turned the VB program around.  Prior and Bubba we're good hires.  He was the architect behind the NCHC and got us into the Big Sky.  He wasn't all bad IMO,...........

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Faison... in the latest sit down and cheer podcast, he stated that he prided himself on not dropping any sports, but had no choice with the budget cuts.  Later in the podcast he says that UND probably should have cut sports at the beginning of the transition.  wtf faison.

He’s a sackless smug twat. Good riddance. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Budgets and salaries went up under his watch for football and basketball.   He got the High Performance Center done as well as many upgrades to the Alerus and the  Betty.  The stature of volleyball has gone through the roof since he's been here.  He hung onto Mussman and Jones for too long.  Hardee ended badly but be turned the VB program around.  Prior and Bubba we're good hires.  He was the architect behind the NCHC and got us into the Big Sky.  He wasn't all bad IMO,...........

Budgets and salaries are still too low. The budget he gave Mussman was a joke. He doesn’t inspire confidence. His smug anti social attitude has held us back.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Football and basketball salaries are still embarrassing for both.  We have lost assistants in both sports to FCS level schools.  UND logo still missing from 50 yard line after new turf was installed.  Giving Alerus upgrade credit to Bubba and Kennedy.  Video boards at the Betty are nice, but that place has needed taller risers ever since it was built.  Any somewhat competent AD could have gotten us into the Big Sky, except Faison was unaware that USD was going to bail and join the Summit/MVFC, which we are finally joining.  

I give him major props for Volleyball and NCHC, but almost everything else he did was !@#$.  The NCHC move took guts, though, and most AD's would not have taken the chance to create a new conference, imo.  Huge props for that.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Anyone recall who the finalists were the last time around when Faison was hired?

Found a link to Jim Dahls blog post on the candidates. http://blog.siouxsports.com/2008/02/25/a-look-at-unds-athletic-director-candidates/

Old thread that he links to with discussion for the last AD search http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/9441-unds-next-athletic-director/

7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Did those things happen because of Faison or despite of him? Be honest with yourself. Faison was in charge of the department for basically the entire DI era. Many of those accomplishments you mentioned were de facto changes based purely on the reclassification from DII to DI. 

Also, I think Prior and Bubba are in two different tiers of coaching. Bubba is 24-22 at UND (.52) whereas Prior is 103-40 (.72). Again, though, it seems some are merely satisfied with just winning more than you lose here at UND. 

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Budgets and salaries are still too low. The budget he gave Mussman was a joke. He doesn’t inspire confidence. His smug anti social attitude has held us back.

These are all thoughts I can't really argue with. All in all, I think many big-time boosters have formulated the same opinion, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Faison was under the fiscal "too many sports for the dollars" bus before he ever got here.

Lest we forget, Acting AD Phil Harmeson (post Buning fiasco) saw reality long before others dare face it

• Upvote 1