SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ uw

AZSIOUX

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Much easier, I would never move the best dman to forward, I'd start with whoever would be the #7 dman that night and move him to the 4th line. 

Wasn't Tucker Poolman our best dman last year and was moved to forward? Or did that happen in an earlier season when he wasn't a top d?

19 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup,That was his freshman year. After Mark MacMillan’s knee injury towards the end. 

Correct, his freshman year, he would have been around the # 5 /6 dman on the team at the time. Schmaltz, Ladeu, Stecher, Ausmus & maybe Thompson ahead of him at the time. 

22 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

http://bit.ly/2A2WhZV

Sounds like Wisconsin wants us on the schedule in the future more than vice versa. Their extended period of mediocrity could have something to do with the hesitation.

I'm confused.... so, you're saying we haven't/hadn't had the desire to put them on the schedule? I'd be pretty surprised if that's the case.

I'm happy Granato wants to make this happen often, however, I don't see him as long for UW.

I'm sure UND's staff would love having UW on the schedule, as do the fans. It gets tricky when trying to setup arrangements with new teams, but I bet something gets done. If not every year, every other year.

Another interesting tidbit from that article is that CC is the only other opponent (other than MN) that has generated more Kohl Center sellouts than UND since 98. CC... that must have been in the early/mid 2000s when they were competing at the top of the WCHA. Which indirectly means that the Kohl Center doesn't sell out very often these days. Color me surprised.

1 minute ago, SiouxTupa said:

I'm sure UND's staff would love having UW on the schedule, as do the fans. It gets tricky when trying to setup arrangements with new teams, but I bet something gets done. If not every year, every other year.

Another interesting tidbit from that article is that CC is the only other opponent (other than MN) that has generated more Kohl Center sellouts than UND since 98. CC... that must have been in the early/mid 2000s when they were competing at the top of the WCHA. Which indirectly means that the Kohl Center doesn't sell out very often these days. Color me surprised.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a big group of CC alumni live in Madison? 

Kind of get a kick out of the quote: "Both programs should be on the rise to where we can be elite teams as we move forward. So I'd like to keep them on our schedule. Hopefully, they'll feel the same way."

When is the last time UND has been a mediocre program? They have made the NCAA tourney every year since I've started following them in '03. Wisco had a few down years, but to say BOTH programs should be on the rise is kind of funny.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Kind of get a kick out of the quote: "Both programs should be on the rise to where we can be elite teams as we move forward. So I'd like to keep them on our schedule. Hopefully, they'll feel the same way."

When is the last time UND has been a mediocre program? They have made the NCAA tourney every year since I've started following them in '03. Wisco had a few down years, but to say BOTH programs should be on the rise is kind of funny.

I thought the same thing when I read it, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that Sconnie has been down for a few years. I didn't see that as a swipe at us.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm confused.... so, you're saying we haven't/hadn't had the desire to put them on the schedule?

I'm happy Granato wants to make this happen often, however, I don't see him as long for UW.

The article said Granato is not sure the desire to continue playing after next season is mutual. Or that’s what the journalist interpretation was since there wasn’t a direct quote where Granato said we didn’t want to continue.

Frankly I’d be surprised if we didn’t want to continue playing. I know the scheduling agreement was set up by Hakstol and Eaves, but still. 

Side note: Did anyone else see Mankato is back on our schedule next year? It was reported out of Mankato but it was such a casual mention I almost missed it. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

The article said Granato is not sure the desire to continue playing after next season is mutual. Or that’s what the journalist interpretation was since there wasn’t a direct quote where Granato said we didn’t want to continue.

Frankly I’d be surprised if we didn’t want to continue playing. I know the scheduling agreement was set up by Hakstol and Eaves, but still. 

Side note: Did anyone else see Mankato is back on our schedule next year? It was reported out of Mankato but it was such a casual mention I almost missed it. 

After re-reading it, I definitely see that, now. Although I don't agree. Like I said before, I'd be pretty surprised to see them off our schedule for a significant period of time. Would be very unlike UND to avoid a rival.

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm confused.... so, you're saying we haven't/hadn't had the desire to put them on the schedule? I'd be pretty surprised if that's the case.

It sounds to me like the catch is the games are at the Kohl center, not the REA. So that could be why he is not sure the feelings are mutual...?

"Beyond history, there's also a numerical reason why UW wants North Dakota on its home schedule."

• Upvote 1

Just now, bigskyvikes said:

It sounds to me like the catch is the games are at the Kohl center, not the REA. So that could be why he is not sure the feelings are mutual...?

"Beyond history, there's also a numerical reason why UW wants North Dakota on its home schedule."

Also a good point. 

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

After re-reading it, I definitely see that, now. Although I don't agree. Like I said before, I'd be pretty surprised to see them off our schedule for a significant period of time. Would be very unlike UND to avoid a rival.

Especially if anyone thinks that Wisco isn't good enough for us. Total bs, they are one of just 2 teams to beat us in the Ralph during the 2016 championship season 

Just now, sprig said:

Especially if anyone thinks that Wisco isn't good enough for us. Total bs, they are one of just 2 teams to beat us in the Ralph during the 2016 championship season 

Definitely. I'm in the camp of wanting to see UW and Minny every single year it's possible. I want to play our rivals and I want to play the best teams in the country. 

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Hit it right on the head, I'm guessing there's some sort of 2 for 1 deal Granato thinks he can swing where they get 2 home series for 1 away.

That absolutely won't and shouldn't be allowed. UND doesn't cater to any school when it comes to scheduling deals. 1 home for 1 away or Wisco can pound sand.

I'd agree with that as well if that is what Wisco wants 

• Upvote 1

UND hosts Wisco next year (2018-19) with no games scheduled against them for 2019-20.  I believe we are scheduled to travel to Mariucci in 2019-20.  Wouldn't surprise me if UND is trying to angle for the next contract with Wisco to start at the Ralph in 2019-20 to have a schedule with either Minny or Wisco at home every year.  Wisco may be resistant to traveling to Grand Forks 2 years in a row.  Also possible UND tries for a destination game in 2019-20 vs Wisco.  I would hope Wisco knows better than to try to schedule a 2-1 or any of that BS.

• Upvote 2

On 10/30/2017 at 8:09 AM, I Ranger said:

Not going to happen. This same question was always brought up with Genoway in him playing forward. Some player's offensive instincts and abilities are much better served from the back-end. Just because you're an offensive minded d-man doesn't necessarily mean you would make a good forward.

totally agree.  A developing play looks a heck of a lot differently from the back end than it does from down low.  Because high level hockey is so incredibly fast, you can't just read and react, you have to anticipate the read and put yourself into position to react.  Again, this makes it really hard to switch from back to front and maintain that offensive ability.  They can all skate and read and react, but that anticipation is crucial. The ability I describe is what makes Jonathan Toews so unbelievably good.  He anticipates and positions himself perfectly on virtually every play- almost clairvoyant- on both ends of the ice.  Gretzky was even more of a fortune teller in the offensive zone.