SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

3rd and less than a yard, you have to trust your o line and our RB to get you a yard on two downs. 

In other words, do what everyone else expects you to do. I have never understood that logic. But that's Rudolph for you. He would have been a great OC back in the 1950's.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

If you're not forcing the opposing team's D-coordinator to get creative to try stopping you, then you're not doing your job. 

As we slow the game down to a crawl the opposing DC and his linebackers can spread out a blanket and have a picnic between plays as they decide what is the optimal personnel and strategy for the upcoming play. 

Our hope is to bore them into defeat.  

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Why does Schweigert keep getting a free pass from almost everyone on this board? Bubba is the head coach. If Rudolph wasn't running the offense the way Bubba wants, he would have been corrected or replaced long before next Sunday.

He’s got a lot of equity but if he doesn’t make any big moves this offseason his leash will cease to exist with me and he better have us seeded and in the playoffs next year.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Not sure he's getting a free pass....been plenty that have called him out.  I believe it's been stated numerous times that bubba has this extreme loyalty thing.....definitely can be a good thing bad thing.   With Rudolph....definitely a horrible thing. Haven't cared for his calls for 4 years.  Bubba hires an OC and a DC....he then installs a philosophy or way he wants to play but it's up to those two to make the play by play calls and make corrective in-game decisions or adjustments.  Ultimately, everything rests on bubbas shoulders when things are not working. Minus the !@#$ show this year....the last two years were a massive improvement over the muss years.  For me....bubba currently gets a pass but will be skating on thin ice if there are no changes (Rudolph to start). 

I use the excuse....injuries.  A lot of important players and a lot players in general are gone. Most "next man ups" are not instant all Americans like Cole, Deion and Donnell.   With that said....they haven't adjusted....frustrating!  No way UND should be getting blown out they way have! They could still be 3-7 this year but they haven't even been competitive is so many games.   I'm calling this year an anomaly and looking for next year to be much much better .   But I'm still calling for Rudolphs head.  

I think you are on to something.    In reality, maybe there is no reason to hire a new coordinator because I'm sure he will have the same philosophy as we now have.    

1 hour ago, TRex said:

I think you are on to something.    In reality, maybe there is no reason to hire a new coordinator because I'm sure he will have the same philosophy as we now have.    

It is possible for a  different OC to have the same general philosophy, but go about it and execute it much better. 

• Upvote 4

I have concerns with the schemes and player prep. I've said that before, but I might be in the minority here when I say, I don't think coaches need to be fired in order to effect change. I will never speak on another man's money. Coaching is how Rudolph and everyone else on staff support their families. But, some self reflection and analysis needs to be done and starting with establishing a viable nutrition program, strength and conditioning and post workout recovery (this will help mitigate the occurrences of injuries).

I just hope the staff is not stubborn, inflexible and resistant to change. I think its possible to turn it around with a lot of work and reincarnation of the offensive and defensive philosophy.

We can start this week by not letting the opposing TE get a free release of the line of scrimmage like we did last week at SUU. That guy was killing us because no one put a hand or shoulder on him and he was allowed to run free in the secondary after running right past our LBs.

8 hours ago, TRex said:

For as long as Bubba is head coach , he will keep the same philosophy as a ball control run heavy offense ( which is what I prefer...just not this mess of one).  There has to be a competent OC to run an offense ...UND currently doesnt have that. So in reality.....UND needs to reach out and find a candidate that is able to or has the capabilities to use the Santiagos/Keaton's  of-the-world the correct way. You know.....the ability to run an offense in live game action...which is the reason why there is an OC position. 

8 hours ago, TRex said:

It’s not the philosophy it is the lack of wrinkles and execution.  The weapons we have are vastly underutilized.  Santiago should be on the field either in the backfield or slot on every play.  Adeotti should be used to stretch the field and loosen up the box making it easier to run.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, TRex said:

Personally, I think execution might be a bit harsh right now.   But then maybe if we have another dismal season next year.....................................

Certainly agree with this, which some of it is on the players.  If you have a great OL things sure are a lot easier.  Last Saturday NDSU had a 3rd and 4 from the SDSU 7-8 yard line, 3rd and 4 is probably more of a passing scenario.  NDSU line up with two WR's on the right side.....short side of the field, one RB in backfield.  Stick took the snap and ran to the right and picked up 5 yards for the first town to extend the drive and then eventually got a TD.   If we run that play we probably get stuffed for little or no gain.  Hoping our young lineman can use the experience from this year and put on some weight and muscle and can improve for next year....pretty critical for a run first type of team. We won't be making a deep playoff run until we have a stout OL.