SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

35 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

Bohl's "off-field baggage" is looking pretty good right about now. Looks like Bubba is recruiting more kids with "off-field baggage" than Bohl was at that time...

I'm not referring to anything his players were doing, though for what it's worth, he had some players with the exact same problems UND has recently faced.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

We were up 24-7. If the offense would have put together a single drive we win that game. Instead, we double reversed our way out of field goal range. Kinda like that 3rd and 10 draw play in our 2 min offense.

Or the defense could have made a stop on one of Richmond's last 4 drives instead of letting them score on 4 in a row. Blaming the loss on one aspect of the game is way off base, plenty of fault to go around.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

We were up 24-7. If the offense would have put together a single drive we win that game. Instead, we double reversed our way out of field goal range. Kinda like that 3rd and 10 draw play in our 2 min offense.

I went back and  watched most of the second half of that game and the only questionable play call  was the reverse which is a boom or bust play and a really bad call considering the run pass balance had been good and having success.  The numerous dropped passes killed the offense and the real reason we lost was on the special teams. The running into the kicker penalty which led to a TD and later a blocked punt.  Hate Rudolph all you want but to lay that game at his feet is BS.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

don't forget about the special teams or lack thereof in that game...or season?

The UND 360 guys made a pretty good point that special teams are struggling more than normal this year because the guys who would normally be on them are instead having to play. The injuries have been a trickle down across every aspect of the game.

13 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I went back and  watched most of the second half of that game and the only questionable play call  was the reverse which is a boom or bust play and a really bad call considering the run pass balance had been good and having success.  The numerous dropped passes killed the offense and the real reason we lost was on the special teams. The running into the kicker penalty which led to a TD and later a blocked punt.  Hate Rudolph all you want but to lay that game at his feet is BS.  

That game is just as on him as it is the special teams. That one play call was inexcusable. And it cost us. There have been plays like that over and over and over during his tenure that have left people questioning what the hell he was thinking. That and the lack of matchup exploitation are why we need a different OC. We are not ever close to getting what we can out of our offense this season. Same with last season.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That game is just as on him as it is the special teams. That one play call was inexcusable. And it cost us. There have been plays like that over and over and over during his tenure that have left people questioning what the hell he was thinking. That and the lack of matchup exploitation are why we need a different OC. We are not ever close to getting what we can out of our offense this season. Same with last season.

So he cost UND the game as much as the running into the kicker, punt block, and dropped passes?  I always think back reading these forums and all the doom and gloom about Dale Lennon's call to go for two and the win.  UND gets it and wins the game but if they didn't would people have talked about how inexcusable the call was and that he needs to be fired.  I will contend after watching the game again, Rudy called a good game outside of the reverse and if the WR hang on to the ball UND scores one of two more times and win the game in spite of the special teams disaster.  

6 minutes ago, BigGame said:

So he cost UND the game as much as the running into the kicker, punt block, and dropped passes?  I always think back reading these forums and all the doom and gloom about Dale Lennon's call to go for two and the win.  UND gets it and wins the game but if they didn't would people have talked about how inexcusable the call was and that he needs to be fired.  I will contend after watching the game again, Rudy called a good game outside of the reverse and if the WR hang on to the ball UND scores one of two more times and win the game in spite of the special teams disaster.  

All he had to do was run the damn ball with Brady and we most likely win that game. I used to try and defend Rudolph because he was trying to win with inferior talent at wr in the beginning and was trying to protect the defense but after 4 years it’s pretty clear he’s got to go.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

All he had to do was run the damn ball with Brady and we most likely win that game. I used to try and defend Rudolph because he was trying to win with inferior talent at wr in the beginning and was trying to protect the defense but after 4 years it’s pretty clear he’s got to go.

It was pretty clear going back and watching the OL was a lot better last season.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They certainly weren’t 4 underclassmen. And yet we haven’t seen a RB slip screen. 

Yes, that is a major weakness of the offense.  Screens take a lot of practice and timing but they would be well worth it considering the talent of the guys in the backfield.

8 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Yes, that is a major weakness of the offense.  Screens take a lot of practice and timing but they would be well worth it considering the talent of the guys in the backfield.

Opposing teams should have a nightmare scenario to prepare for with what we have in the backfield. Yet have we ever seen Olivera and Santiago on the field at the same time? You could even add JJ in there. There should be new wrinkles every game. Instead we smash two of the best rbs in program history straight ahead against 7, 8, sometimes 9 in the box. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BigGame said:

What Rudolph brings to the table is a consistent barrage of predictability, no in game strategies or changes, doesn't adapt to his personal,  has a difficult time reading what a defense is giving him (or doesn't care) and how to exploit a defense.  Instead he continually runs the same f&^*^+€  four plays! 

Only when they get down by three tds that he turns to page 2 in his playbook.  At that point the offense resembles an offense.    If he had any offensive aptitude  , he would see that sending Santiago up the middle on every €%^>!< 1st down is not working!!  The opposing Ds have set up shop along the line waiting to lay smack on the 175 lb.  A combination of luck and Santiagos skill/talent will get him more then 2 yards.....yet Rudolph keeps wearing that play out!!!  Everyone knows it's going to happen!  How much more of those hits can Santiago absorb? 

Can you tell me one way that Rudolph has used Santiagos skills/talent to better the offense this year or last?   Is it by powering him up the middle?  

Against the Ds in the big sky....Santiago should be around 150 -200yards ave (run/rec) per game without question.   Instead his junior has been flushed down the toilet.  We get one more year out of what is quite possibly the most explosive player to wear Kelly green.  

Is it a rule at UND to run on every first down?   What a waste of a down.  Wonder what would happen if they started a few series out with a pass?   Would someone's head explode?.....serious question

TEs usage?  Apparently he thinks TEs are not made/built for catching?   He will not use them....unless down by 20...then maybe, just maybe he will look their way a couple of times and then right back to Santiago up the middle 

He had heidelbaugh in front of zim?  Nothing else needs to be said 

Can the FBs roll out for a screen ? 

How about quick two step drops??  

Passing options on 1st downs?? 

Santiago out wide? 

Nothing!   Same four plays over and over.  

Last year.....UND should have offensively crushed most of the teams they played in the big sky.  They didn't .   The D was constantly bailing them out and getting them into position or even scoring.  

Is there other issues like , dropped passes, the o line needs to improve , not the fastest WRs?   Sure.  That's where a OC would typically recognize the personal he has and change up the philosophy enough to make suitable for the talent he has and then stray away from calling the same four plays that don't work.  He's incapable of everything that is offense. On a positive ....I hear he's a really nice guy

The four year experiment hasn't worked......it's time 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Class_of_98 said:

This.  You can't argue in favor of Rudy last season.  We barely squeaked out multiple games where we had the talent to leave no doubt.  This year has just got to be destroying our team's morale.  I pray they will recover.

For the earlier discussion, I'd take Bohl's bit of baggage if it meant we come into the Mo Valley and make noise.  If there aren't huge changes in two short years we will be destroyed by NDSU again and the following year we will be the laughing stock, bottom feeder, doormat (take your pick) of the valley.  Can you take any more of this?  I sure can't.  I'm so tired of facing my friends every weekend in the fall and taking their BS.

I'll stick with my alma mater but after the last dozen years this season is so depressing and changes have got to be made.

Although I agree with much of what you said, I don't believe we will or should ever be a doormat team in the MVFC.  As bad as this year is going, we still shut out Mizzou state.  I'd like to believe we are better than Indiana State as well.  I will also say I don't want to be a mediocre team year in and year out.  I'd hope we are in the top tier contending for conference championships more years than not. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

SUU had 494 yards on 89 plays.

UND had 445 yards on 61 plays.  

Keaton had a few terrible INTs.  The fumbled handoff due to a high snap killed a drive that could have given them the lead.  

Is Rudolph the next June Jones?  No.  But yesterday he was actually pretty decent.

34 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Keaton had a few terrible INTs.  The fumbled handoff due to a high snap killed a drive that could have given them the lead.  

Is Rudolph the next June Jones?  No.  But yesterday he was actually pretty decent.

That SUU defense is terrible, especially against the pass. No idea how they’ve won so many games. We left at least 20+ points on the field.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

89 plays in 20 minutes time of possession  

we had 61 plays in 40 minutes. 

I don't think I'll ever understand the slow it down, no rhythm, plodding approach allowing no room for error this regime is intent on running.

• Upvote 1