SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

One thing that really bothers me about Rudy's playcalling is the jet sweep action. Not so much that it exists because it can be a great tool if used properly but how he uses it. Firstly, he often has one of our slow plodding WR's attempt it. That's never going to work. 6'3"-6'4" slow WR's are not the jet sweep body type, maybe Randy Moss, but not our guys. Running it with Izzy is a better option as we saw on Saturday. Secondly, the use of the jet sweep action followed by smashing the RB right up the middle blows my mind. All that does is bring another body into the already stacked box. It just doesn't make sense. No team respects our jet sweeps. They don't need to. Maybe next year with Izzy, Griebel, and McKinney it will be more successful, especially if it's a different OC. 

We had like a 3rd and 2 on Saturday and put JJ in. Ran the sweep action and it caused a slight delay in the handoff and the defender was on JJ before he could even move. Just ridiculously stupid.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We won a lot of games in spite of our offense against a collection of teams with average defenses at best. The offense was painful last year at times. The d bailed them out with turnovers again and again. 

I agree with your assessment, and I don’t disagree with a lot of the criticism of Rudy. But Siouxphan27 said that we’d never contend for a championship with Rudy and we won the conference championship with him. That’s all I’m saying.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Complain about play calling all you want but until the offensive line is solidified nothing will work. 

Who recruits that position? They should be looked at. Who builds them up physically? They should be looked at also.

Yeah, well you have to adjust to what you have. That's the role of coaches, among other things, such as acquiring the offensive linemen you speak of. This isn't DII athletics anymore people; you succeed or you lose your job - it's the reality of being DI now. Sometimes poor coaches happen to be good people; difficult but reality. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I agree with your assessment, and I don’t disagree with a lot of the criticism of Rudy. But Siouxphan27 said that we’d never contend for a championship with Rudy and we won the conference championship with him. That’s all I’m saying.

When I read his comment I was thinking national championships. Not sure if he meant it that way.

• Upvote 3

For those who have coaching/college football experience (and armchair coaches also) - What in the hell kind of conversation and planning has to happen between coaches after watching game film for 7 weeks for us to come up with this offensive philosophy and play selection week after week?  Can they not see what is right in front of their faces?  I am baffled at the lack of adjustments and overall game plan week after week coming from a group whose job is to study game film and come up with a plan.  How can this group not see what is so obvious to all, especially given the results.  I am truly baffled.  Any insight other than a serious stubborn issue that blinds the coaches to reality?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

If you really break down the offense last season, what was season record without all the defensive and special team points and points that were scored on a very short field?  Season is much different last year with this years defense IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just a few thoughts:

- Did we throw to the TEs even once on Saturday? Cloyd was catching balls all over the field against UNC two weeks ago and I don’t think he got a ball this week. Fiedler was back, too, and didn’t get a sniff. You had a beat up QB to start the game - quick passing should have been the plan going in and the TEs should have been major targets.

- The draw play on 3rd and 10 is a “fireable offense.” Even If Santiago scores it’s a dumb call. Two weeks ago we had the ball on the 1, we put Brady in the slot and ran the jet sweep to him. Another fireable offense.

- Zimmerman looked really good. But let’s remember it was in the 2nd half of a game where we had barely shown a pulse on offense. Who’d be shocked if the Sac St. D had relaxed a bit? He did well and threw some nice balls, but it’s WAY too early to anoint someone as the ‘18 starter. I want to see a wide open battle for the job regardless of who the OC is.

- Studsrud has earned my respect forever. His toughness and competitive spirit overcome some of his shortcomings. There may be better QBs but the dude’s a gamer and I’ll take a team full of guys like that any day.

- Our O and D lines have not been physical enough this year, as others have pointed out. I don’t have a fix, but we’re not winning enough battles up front.

- I’m no fan of Rudy, but it’s not his job to catch the ball. The dropsies have got to get cured.

1 hour ago, UND92 said:

For what it worth,  Paul and Renae Rudolf purchased a house in Grand Forks on 6-30-2014.  Not sure if it is the same Paul Rudolf, but I would bet it is.

I also looked that up!  It is not much of a house - it totally is conceivable that he stays there by himself during the high seasons.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Really? How is this different from e-mailing Faison about game scheduling or some other issue?

First of all it wastes his time during a very busy time of year for him.  Second do you actually think Bubba is going to take into consideration what random fans think when they have little actual information about what is happening in the football offices.  If you want to email maybe save it for the end of the season but it is still a waste because as fans we don't know or have the expertise to discuss the topic with him.  I would bet Bubba has people in the football profession he trusts and can ask if he wants an educated opinion on the topic.  If Rudolph gets fire it isn't happening now, it will be the end of the season and it will not be decided because some message board titans spams his email inbox.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, BigGame said:

First of all it wastes his time during a very busy time of year for him.  Second do you actually think Bubba is going to take into consideration what random fans think when they have little actual information about what is happening in the football offices.  If you want to email maybe save it for the end of the season but it is still a waste because as fans we don't know or have the expertise to discuss the topic with him.  I would bet Bubba has people in the football profession he trusts and can ask if he wants an educated opinion on the topic.  If Rudolph gets fire it isn't happening now, it will be the end of the season and it will not be decided because some message board titans spams his email inbox.  

Well, if you don't want to send him a message, don't. If I do it, I won't do it until the end of the season, like you said. I just figured if we are going to bellyache on here, we might as well have the option to tell it to the person at the top. And I don't think Faison has "time to waste" reading our e-mails about scheduling and whatever else, so I guess we shouldn't bug him either, right? :silly: #wantsitbothways

I see a fan base that needs to blow off some steam...myself included. This year has become the exact opposite of what we all thought was going to be at the very least a competitive year. The injuries truly did snowball and I was pissed we did not beat nutsack state, but IMHO I wasn't surprised. The offensive play calling and lack of creativity with Santiago is concerning and I want to hear some non coach speak from the coaches after the season. 

This board needs some positivity and there certainly is some but not for this season. I see some good things for the future:

1) Z is a player and we are in for a great QB battle next season between him and Ketteringham. He will tighten up his pocket presence and throws a hell of a ball. The receivers on the other hand need to help him out. The drops have been disgusting. 

2) OL- These young guys are getting reps that they never should have. If they add some weight they could be really good. Might need a solid transfer here to fill in a gap though.

3) Cam Hunt- If he can stay healthy in the future he will be an all conference type player. Kid has a high ceiling.

4) Izzy- Kid is fast and will only get better. We have needed this type of player for quite some time and now have more than him in waiting. (Mckinney, Greibal)

5) Blubaugh- Kid will be a stud, book it. What do you really expect from a true frosh who is being targeted by every teams top receiver?

6) Harris will be back. Half the field will effectively be shut down next season. That alone goes a long way.

7) Linbackers will be much better next season. There is depth, size and skill. (Larson, Rogers, Hunt). Maybe a solid transfer is what is needed as well.

8) young safeties- Just like the OL these young guys are getting valuable reps they should not be getting so I have to think that will be huge for them after this season.

For the love of God, do not chime in saying my expectations are too low. I also live in reality and understand that this season is lost. This board needs some positivity. Now, there is plenty to complain about but I see enough of that. I also wouldn't be disappointed to see a new OC come in. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

8) young safeties- Just like the OL these young guys are getting valuable reps they should not be getting so I have to think that will be huge for them after this season.

Looking to next year, OL and safety are my biggest concerns.  Really sucks that Reyes got hurt and has to end his career on the sidelines, hate seeing that for such a player.  Silver lining is we will benefit from other guys getting more experience at that position.  Would rather have mistakes made this year when we aren't going anywhere this year.  

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Looking to next year, OL and safety are my biggest concerns.  Really sucks that Reyes got hurt and has to end his career on the sidelines, hate seeing that for such a player.  Silver lining is we will benefit from other guys getting more experience at that position.  Would rather have mistakes made this year when we aren't going anywhere this year.  

A couple solid transfers in these spots could go a long way. The coaches have an early bye again and no playoffs so they better get to work.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, if you don't want to send him a message, don't. If I do it, I won't do it until the end of the season, like you said. I just figured if we are going to bellyache on here, we might as well have the option to tell it to the person at the top. And I don't think Faison has "time to waste" reading our e-mails about scheduling and whatever else, so I guess we shouldn't bug him either, right? :silly: #wantsitbothways

I never mentioned anything about Faison but his case is different as he isn't coaching a team in season right now.