SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

29 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

That's a blast from the past, played him in high school.  He was a beast to tackle.

He's done a decent job  with what he has to work with in SMSU.  Still pretty young and has had some very good offenses. 

I don't think he will be considered honestly if a change were to be made, but I'd like to see what he could do with  more resources. 

16 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Well he doesn't appear to be a game day coach...   People are rah-rahing his enthusiasm and fund raising...

Lead a FB program before we talk about leading an athletic department.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is this true that rudy hasn't made gf his "home"....

I do know his wife is principal at an elementary school in Minot and his son plays qb for the Magicians, so his wife and kids are still in Minot. No idea what his living arrangements are. 

I have processed this a bit and am now on the fire Rudolph train. Calling a draw on 4th and 10 is so dumb, it's hard to believe it actually happened. Take some other coaches with him for all I care  at this point. This team is not even able to make simple adjustments.  I can understand that on D right now but the unwillingness to bend from the offensive scheme is unacceptable. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I have processed this a bit and am now on the fire Rudolph train. Calling a draw on 4th and 10 is so dumb, it's hard to believe it actually happened. Take some other coaches with him for all I care  at this point. This team is not even able to make simple adjustments.  I can understand that on D right now but the unwillingness to bend from the offensive scheme is unacceptable. 

3rd and 10 but still. I could live with it on second down but not third in that circumstance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Complain about play calling all you want but until the offensive line is solidified nothing will work. 

Who recruits that position? They should be looked at. Who builds them up physically? They should be looked at also.

They could bring in Mussman to coach the OL and it would be a huge upgrade. 

One thing that really bothers me about Rudy's playcalling is the jet sweep action. Not so much that it exists because it can be a great tool if used properly but how he uses it. Firstly, he often has one of our slow plodding WR's attempt it. That's never going to work. 6'3"-6'4" slow WR's are not the jet sweep body type, maybe Randy Moss, but not our guys. Running it with Izzy is a better option as we saw on Saturday. Secondly, the use of the jet sweep action followed by smashing the RB right up the middle blows my mind. All that does is bring another body into the already stacked box. It just doesn't make sense. No team respects our jet sweeps. They don't need to. Maybe next year with Izzy, Griebel, and McKinney it will be more successful, especially if it's a different OC. 

How long does Bubba's accumulated goodwill last?   

If it were any outsider running the team right now, there wouldn't be calls for multiple assistants to be fired; instead there'd be a serious look at the HC.   

I'll be a Bubba supporter right up until the day we hear Rudolph is back again for next year   That'll be my last straw.  My hunch is there isn't a fan of this team that can honestly say they think we can ever contend for a title with Rudolph running the offense.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

My hunch is there isn't a fan of this team that can honestly say they think we can ever contend for a title with Rudolph running the offense.  

I’ve seen it happen.  Granted, I’m old, and this was way back in 2016. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

How long does Bubba's accumulated goodwill last?   

If it were any outsider running the team right now, there wouldn't be calls for multiple assistants to be fired; instead there'd be a serious look at the HC.   

I'll be a Bubba supporter right up until the day we hear Rudolph is back again for next year   That'll be my last straw.  My hunch is there isn't a fan of this team that can honestly say they think we can ever contend for a title with Rudolph running the offense.  

You mean like the 2016 Big Sky Championship?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FightingHawkSioux said:

Alright - I am as loyal to the football program as you can be. I absolute bleed green and it’s probably a little embarrassing how engulfed with this program I am. I have always read the message boards but have never taken the time to create an account or else just have decided to bite my tongue. 

I’ve finally had enough....

Rudy has to go plain and simple. It is embarrassing how predictable we are with not even a hint of creativity. Clearly he is unable to tailor his offense to the personnel he has or adjust mid game. Here are my top thoughts: 

The fact that he continues to try and develop Brad Heidlebaugh tells me all I need to know on his gauge of talent. Nothing against Brad - but he’s not a division 1 quarterback. I don’t even know if he’s a division III qb. Clearly Rudy didn’t adjust his talent measuring stick after leaving Minot. (Side note - we need to bring in a scholarship quarterback every single year. The sole reason we missed the playoffs 2 years ago was the fact we didn’t have even a pulse as a backup qb and the coaching staff didn’t address the issue. If Ketteringham didn’t fall in our lap - do you guys realize what we would be dealing with next year? QB is the most important position on the team. Start acting like it. We are getting beat by teams with their backups and even 4th string. Our backups can hardly even take a snap). 

The fact that he hasn’t made Grand Forks his home tells me all I need to know about commitment to the community. 

We have the best runningback/offensive threat in the conference and legitimately a top 10 offensive player in the ENTIRE COUNTY and he sits on the sideline for at least half of our offensive snaps. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? John Santiago is that special of a talent and we are completely wasting it. The kid should NEVER leave the field. If you want to run Olivera and Johannason that is fine - but stick John out wide or have him run the jet motion. TEAMS WILL HAVE TO HONOR HIM. If he needs a rest - split him out wide and tell him to just stand there. TEAMS WILL HAVE TO HONOR HIM. I can’t even begin to fathom the stupidity of having our best player and one of the COUNTRY’S best player standing on the sideline. You can’t even make that up. How can we not have a package at this point with both John and Brady out there at the same time? Are you kidding me? Literally the 2 best running backs in the league and they both are on the sideline every other series, and now even more with JJ starting to get some reps.  Do people remember when McCaffery was at Stanford? The kid touched the ball every way possible. The only way Rudy can figure out how to give him the ball is pitch left and pitch right. Embarrassing. 

Can we please mix in a play action on first down and/or throw it deep early????? Not too many bad things happen when you throw it deep. Incomplete? Whoop-dee-doo. Very rarely does it get picked off. We shout it from the mountain tops that we are going to run first - which is fine - but when the opposing team has 9 in the box and both corners are standing on their tip toes coming down hill at the snap - even if we had a good offensive line - that’s nearly an impossible task. You have to be able to show it to at least put a SMALL thought in the defense’s mind. 

This is getting longer then it needs to and I could go on for days. I didn’t even scratch the surface but said enough to at least make me feel a little better. My last thought is that a healthy Keaton is still twice the QB then Zimmerman guys. It was great to see a backup come in and look like he’s held a football before - don’t get me wrong - but Keaton is twice the athlete and QB. We have to realize how bad the play calling is for Keaton and how much it sets him up to fail. He’s asked to hand it off 2 straight times into a brick wall and then on 3rd and long try to throw it (that is if we don’t decide to run draw). It is tough to get any qb in rhythm with those cards dealt. 

Alright - I think my heart rate has come down a little. Thanks for listening to my venting session.....

Agree with a lot of this, but not sure Keaton is twice the QB Zim is.  I like Zims arm better, and if you were going to make a highlight reel of great passes this year, Zim might have the top five.  Zim does have a couple of strip sacks to his credit over his past two games, but then again so does Keaton.  Zim might have a higher ceiling and seeing him throw the ball some more is one of the few things I am looking forward to this season.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

Agree with a lot of this, but not sure Keaton is twice the QB Zim is.  I like Zims arm better, and if you were going to make a highlight reel of great passes this year, Zim might have the top five.  Zim does have a couple of strip sacks to his credit over his past two games, but then again so does Keaton.  Zim might have a higher ceiling and seeing him throw the ball some more is one of the few things I am looking forward to this season.

Zim is our most efficient qb according to the stats.