Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

FIRE RUDOLPH

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 77iceman said:

5.9 ypc?  That's a stat that just doesn't tell the truth.  The average run was for about .5 yards, then every fifteen plays or so someone would break one for 30+ yards.  That one long run was usually 100% player effort.  There's no consistency with that.  It seemed that UND coaches were banking on that one in fifteen play to get them where they wanted to be.

Sometimes the stats just aren't a reflection of how the games looked.  Look at Disterhaupt's first few games this year.  He was off to a great start with over 10 tackles per game until he ruined that ankle.  The stats looked great, but a lot of those tackles were catching guys from behind 5 or 6 yards down field.  That's not where you want to be making tackles.  Certainly not knocking his efforts AT ALL, but the defense had issues with that happening even though the "tackles" stat looks good.

Stats only tell part of the story.  Look at the time of possession stats this last season, for example.

Anyway, the only stat that really matters is the wins and losses.  I can see UND holding the same staff through this coming season . . . but if I see a dive play to Santiago on first down ever again I'll be the first to shoot the OC a glaring look.  Maybe even a strongly worded letter :D

I agree, it definitely doesn't tell the truth.  I'd be curious to see the YPC in the first half compared to the second half.  Seems like we got shut down many times in the first half, then we were behind and started throwing the ball in the second half....which opened up the run and there were some games we ran the ball pretty well in the second half.  That was one of my frustrations, yes I know we are a power run team but since we didn't have the OL for it yet, we needed to throw in the first half a bit more to set up the run but we didn't do it.  I'd say we did actually do that against Portland St.  Our first couple of drives there were a fair amount of passes, quick outs and things like that and they were working, which then allowed the running plays to be successful.  We drove up and down the field the first two possessions, but INT in end zone I  think we were still down 14-0 or 14-3 to start but we were moving the ball.  Fortunately the defense settled in after that.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

The "lack of imagination" isn't what bothers me about Rudolph. It's the poor timing of his "imaginative" play calls along with his inability to capitalize on the strengths of his players. That has been consistent all 4 years he's been here. His issues and fans' complaints about him begin well before 2017.

The complaints started the day he was hired and before he ever actually did any coaching at UND.  A lot of fans on this forum were pissed at the hire.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this post yesterday from an NDSU fan.   As people have been saying our offense is from the 80's etc. and the style is horrible......I would always think to myself, man it seems pretty much just like the offense from the school to the south.  I bet NDSU runs on first down 60-70% of the time.  I've watched some pieces of NDSU games here and there recently but generally not an entire game through so I'm no expert, but there offense seems very similar to ours......difference is they have a great OL and they just run the offense a lot better, which a lot of it is due to a great OL.   After this year though I would have been ok with a change in OC for his lack of creativity at times and not getting Santiago the ball in space more etc. etc..   NDSU has won multiple championships yet they complain about their OC too.  Like I said I would have been ok with a new OC this coming year, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  This post is more in defense of our style of play, it obviously can work very well.  Since Rudy will be our OC next year, at this point I'm just hoping he puts in a few more wrinkles etc., but the hope for JJ, Santiago and Brady on the field at the same time.....I just don't think it's going to happen.  Hoping our OL improves, we have a QB that throws the deep ball much better and it all comes together.  

NDSU post.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Saw this post yesterday from an NDSU fan.   As people have been saying our offense is from the 80's etc. and the style is horrible......I would always think to myself, man it seems pretty much just like the offense from the school to the south.  I bet NDSU runs on first down 60-70% of the time.  I've watched some pieces of NDSU games here and there recently but generally not an entire game through so I'm no expert, but there offense seems very similar to ours......difference is they have a great OL and they just run the offense a lot better, which a lot of it is due to a great OL.   After this year though I would have been ok with a change in OC for his lack of creativity at times and not getting Santiago the ball in space more etc. etc..   NDSU has won multiple championships yet they complain about their OC too.  Like I said I would have been ok with a new OC this coming year, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  This post is more in defense of our style of play, it obviously can work very well.  Since Rudy will be our OC next year, at this point I'm just hoping he puts in a few more wrinkles etc., but the hope for JJ, Santiago and Brady on the field at the same time.....I just don't think it's going to happen.  Hoping our OL improves, we have a QB that throws the deep ball much better and it all comes together.  

NDSU post.jpg

Ndsu runs more rb screens per quarter than we ran all year. But yes, power running game certainly can be successful, it's UND's execution both in play calling and guys on the field that is lacking. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, homer said:

Most fans watching would agree.  

Like i said yesterday, its not just coaching...players didn't get the job done either. The coach can't come on the field and block your man for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

Like i said yesterday, its not just coaching...players didn't get the job done either. The coach can't come on the field and block your man for you.

The coaches need to set a different tone this off season. Everyone in the program is playing/coaching for their jobs. Really though they should act they way each year. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Santiago would have 2000 yards a season at NDSU with that line and they’d actually throw him the ball.

The lack of a screen game with Santiago is an absolute sin. Just a disgrace - Rudolph is just a bit too traditional and narrow-minded in his offensive thinking.

UND needs new blood in its staff for the offense; since Bubba won't do it, new blood across the entire staff might actually be the solution this time next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The lack of a screen game with Santiago is an absolute sin. Just a disgrace - Rudolph is just a bit too traditional and narrow-minded in his offensive thinking.

UND needs new blood in its staff for the offense; since Bubba won't do it, new blood across the entire staff might actually be the solution this time next year. 

Apparently NDSU is sinning quite a bit too.  For 2017 Lance Dunn has 6 receptions, Bruce Anderson has 3, and Ty Brooks has 3.   Santiago has 10, Brady has 5, Johannesson 2.  So actually UND wins the RB reception battle against the #2 seed that runs a similar offense.   NDSU is so disgraceful, they definitely need new blood!   

For 2017 UND has a total of 184 receptions .vs 134 for NDSU.    UND QB's attempted 325 passes, NDSU QB's attempted 221.  NDSU ran the ball 498 times compared to 386 for UND.   Therefore NDSU ran the ball 69% of the time, UND ran the ball 54% of the time.   Which we threw the ball more this year than normal because we were behind.  If I look at our 2016 year we ran the ball 65% of the time.  

I think there is certainly room for improvement by the OC and seems like there are ways where he can get out playmakers the ball in space better etc..  But I guess this goes to my point that our offense isn't that much different than the team who won 5 of the last 6 Championships.  They have a dominant OL which makes all the difference in the world.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Apparently NDSU is sinning quite a bit too.  For 2017 Lance Dunn has 6 receptions, Bruce Anderson has 3, and Ty Brooks has 3.   Santiago has 10, Brady has 5, Johannesson 2.  So actually UND wins the RB reception battle against the #2 seed that runs a similar offense.   NDSU is so disgraceful, they definitely need new blood!   

For 2017 UND has a total of 184 receptions .vs 134 for NDSU.    UND QB's attempted 325 passes, NDSU QB's attempted 221.  NDSU ran the ball 498 times compared to 386 for UND.   Therefore NDSU ran the ball 69% of the time, UND ran the ball 54% of the time.   Which we threw the ball more this year than normal because we were behind.  If I look at our 2016 year we ran the ball 65% of the time.  

I think there is certainly room for improvement by the OC and seems like there are ways where he can get out playmakers the ball in space better etc..  But I guess this goes to my point that our offense isn't that much different than the team who won 5 of the last 6 Championships.  They have a dominant OL which makes all the difference in the world.  

Comparing Apples to Kumquats-

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

It’s time for this thread to fire up again. 

Is that what you took from that game?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Is that what you took from that game?  

He called a masterful 1.5 quarters then went into a shell after the fumble and never regained any rhythm. 0 points in the second half is unacceptable and that goes on him.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realizing that UND is not in the MVFC yet... That's a good thing. There is no way this coaching staff will produce winning records in the MVFC. Looking a LOT like Lennon's SIU teams. It's not just on Rudolph...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zonadub said:

Realizing that UND is not in the MVFC yet... That's a good thing. There is no way this coaching staff will produce winning records in the MVFC. Looking a LOT like Lennon's SIU teams. It's not just on Rudolph...

Und will average 10 points in the mvfc.....maybe. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Und will average 10 points in the mvfc.....maybe. 

You're being very generous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

He called a masterful 1.5 quarters then went into a shell after the fumble and never regained any rhythm. 0 points in the second half is unacceptable and that goes on him.

He did look good early. It’s always after something bad happens he falls apart. Like a bad gambler that’s up big after two shoes into the night and then starts to lose. He spends the rest of the night trying to regain his earlier chip count or dominance. Ends up by the end of the night looking like a Mel Brooks character down on his luck living on the streets. It’s a sickness. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He called a masterful 1.5 quarters then went into a shell after the fumble and never regained any rhythm. 0 points in the second half is unacceptable and that goes on him.

I wasn't claiming he was good overall but I saw a lot of far bigger issues than the offensive play calling. It was a bad game for both coordinators and a lot of players.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigGame said:

Is that what you took from that game?  

It's a big part of what I took from the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure he told the guys to fumble on the goal line and to drop the td pass on 3rd. Rudy didn’t call a great second half (first was pretty good) but it was the execution that hurt us the most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zonadub said:

Realizing that UND is not in the MVFC yet... That's a good thing. There is no way this coaching staff will produce winning records in the MVFC. Looking a LOT like Lennon's SIU teams. It's not just on Rudolph...

Winning records?  Here's what UND and ISU-Blue will be playing for annually, at this rate.  

eclectic-doormats.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 7:38 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

He hasn't had a head coaching job since those superb USF years; who knows what he could do if given the chance to lead a Division I football team as head coach. 

yeah...who knows?  faison is probably wondering right now too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×