SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

@Old School Guy,

please read comprehensively before replying and assuming an argumentative stance. 

I agreed with you, as I prefaced my comment. 

The ststment "if you, ..." was hypothetical and not directed at you. I could have worded that differently. 

I believe the shortcomings of the defense ARE in fact everybit as concerning as Rudolph and his playcalling, scheming, and player evaluations. In fact, Bubba wants UND to have an identity of good aggressive defense and ball-control (i.e. boring but safe) offense. 

The defense lapsed because of the injuries AND the players behind the injured; they didn't play well. Many of those players that did not play well in 2017 will never play well for UND in the future; this is the concern. Bubba and his staff produced insufficient defensive depth for the 2017 campaign and it cost the team this season. 

The ILB, S, and CB is where the defensive injuries took a huge toll and its where Blubaugh(F), Shannon(F), Rastas(RF) were called into service long before i think anyone thought they would be ready to contribute at a high level.  I also think that all three of them would have looked substantially better if they were the only one of the 3 on the field at one time. 

So much of football is about confidence and momentum.  IMO Blubaugh will be a player when the guys around him are all solid, the defense is stopping the run and also able to get pressure on the QB.   Shannon looked the best of all three of them IMO, but the nature of his position is much different than CB or ILB.  I don't think Rastas will ever be able to be the guy at ILB, I think if he can put on 20-30 lbs of good weight he can be a solid spot duty guy as long as the other ILB is  very solid.  In UND 3-4 scheme the ILB and S play huge roles in bringing pressure and the CB in being able to cover for 3-5 seconds.

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Not equally, and not even that close.  Coaches evaluate and recruit players based on their ability and character.  Coaches decide who plays what position and what type of O & D to run.  Coaches call the plays.  Coaches can put the right guys in the right spots on the field to make plays, or not do that, but it is up to the staff.  Coaches decide philosophy and how conservative/aggressive to be and when.  Coaches can put checks and balances on the team.  (diet, workouts, drug testing, etc)

So, you probably didn't mean equally, right?  These coaches are big boys.  They know this year sucked.  You don't have to provide cover for them.

Coaching in football is always supreme.  Did any of you see Wisconsin's 2-3 star players pound Michigan's 4-5 star players?  As Gundy said, this terrible season is on the coaches.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I did not assume that. 

It's quite evident, though, that the good teams around the country have a higher percentage of contributors in their classes than the poor teams. That is, well, the foundation of college football: recruiting. In terms of LB and corner, for example, Bubba has done poor recruiting and with attrition. The disaster at those two positions completely derailed this season. 

While I don’t completely disagree with some attrition, this is where completely ignoring the amount of injuries at those positions is a mistake.  The concussions for O’Brien set things in motion.  It was late enough that you can’t replace that spot.  To try and replace it, you take your best OLB and move him to ILB because it’s such an important position.  Than preseason you lose the youth expected to contribute, (Larsen) and 1st quarter of game #2 you lose Rogers.  Tough to prep for that.  

Now they did miss on a JUCO and had some recruits bail prior to signing day but with not a lot of upper class depth, you are relying a lot on the three full recruiting class Bubba had.  

Same could be said with OL.  

I don’t disagree with coaching staff needing to evaluate a lot of things, starting with development at certain positions and schemes. 

I agree that none of them were ready and your point is good that if only one of them had to play, their lack of readiness could have been covered by a Reyes or other more experienced guy. I think that Rastas played his guts out and is smart enough to know the D, and IF he puts on 20 pounds, he will be able to handle the job. But with Larson and Rodgers hopefully there next year, he will be a nice backup.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What really bothers me about the ILB spot and our recruiting misses there is that's a position with plenty of the right body type recruits in the upper Midwest.  We lost a senior as of spring ball and lost a sophomore in game 2. The only other capable ILB was a true freshman who also got injured?! Why were we needing to depend on a true freshman for depth anyway? No excuse for us being as thin there as we were.

We didn’t cover up the holes from attrition.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What really bothers me about the ILB spot and our recruiting misses there is that's a position with plenty of the right body type recruits in the upper Midwest.  We lost a senior as of spring ball and lost a sophomore in game 2. The only other capable ILB was a true freshman who also got injured?! Why were we needing to depend on a true freshman for depth anyway? No excuse for us being as thin there as we were.

#12deepatdline

• Upvote 1

There was certainly attrition in prior years but this last season saw O'Brien retire and Poole get kicked off the team. Hunt was injured towards the beginning of the year, Larson missed the season (smartly not to burn the redshirt), and Rodgers got hurt the second game of the year. Attrition hurt, but injuries and idiocy finished the ILB off. 

I agree the coaches failed to backfill last year and the year before for ILB. For the kind of defense UND runs, we need at least 8-9 ILBs on the roster. You play 4 or 5 rotating through, and you have the others filling in on special teams or redshirting. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, shep said:

I agree that none of them were ready and your point is good that if only one of them had to play, their lack of readiness could have been covered by a Reyes or other more experienced guy. I think that Rastas played his guts out and is smart enough to know the D, and IF he puts on 20 pounds, he will be able to handle the job. But with Larson and Rodgers hopefully there next year, he will be a nice backup.

No question Rasta's gets an A for effort.  Just not sure he can be the kind of full-time player UND needs to run the style of defense we run.  

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We didn’t cover up the holes from attrition.

Lost all 4 LB starters to graduation and retirement and after Rodgers(maybe Larson earlier too) went down, we never found suitable answers.  Probably could have made due, but then when it was safeties and corners too, it was goodnight.

2 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I think Rudolph's play-calling is reflective of the conservative nature of Bubba and himself combined. This staff needs to go back and watch film and copy what worked against us.The offense seemed more fluid against EWU; minus the turnovers, we win that game against a ranked opponent.We are not a smash mouth team...we are best when we stretch field and get guys the ball in space on offense.Bubba and Rudy need to adjust accordingly.

Won't happen, we might score too quickly and lose the time of possession battle.  That's why I for one am sick and tired of this offensive philosophy.  After this debacle of a season I was optimistic for next year right up until I heard Bubba's end of year press conference.  No changes to the staff.   I guess we'll keep imagining we're bigger tougher stronger than everyone else for at least another year.    

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Not equally, and not even that close.  Coaches evaluate and recruit players based on their ability and character.  Coaches decide who plays what position and what type of O & D to run.  Coaches call the plays.  Coaches can put the right guys in the right spots on the field to make plays, or not do that, but it is up to the staff.  Coaches decide philosophy and how conservative/aggressive to be and when.  Coaches can put checks and balances on the team.  (diet, workouts, drug testing, etc)

So, you probably didn't mean equally, right?  These coaches are big boys.  They know this year sucked.  You don't have to provide cover for them.

I say equally because some games we got out prepared and out coached and some games we got outplayed. Some games, we got the triple whammy (out coached/prepared and out played). I know players read this board and they too need to know, they need to step their game up and be responsible for their own success and failures. This is D-1 ball not, Pop Warner.

Regarding coaches, its seems like we recruit talent and decent character guys, then it falls apart once they get on campus. I agree, and I have said myself, nutrition, strength/condition, development and schemes all need to be evaluated and improved. That's on the coaches, primarily but not solely.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

@Old School Guy,

please read comprehensively before replying and assuming an argumentative stance. 

I agreed with you, as I prefaced my comment. 

The statement "If you ..." was hypothetical and not directed at you. I could have worded that differently. 

I believe the shortcomings of the defense ARE in fact everybit as concerning as Rudolph and his playcalling, scheming, and player evaluations. In fact, Bubba wants UND to have an identity of good aggressive defense and ball-control (i.e. boring but safe) offense. 

The defense lapsed because of the injuries AND the players behind the injured; they didn't play well. Many of those players that did not play well in 2017 will never play well for UND in the future; this is the concern. Bubba and his staff had produced insufficient defensive depth for the 2017 campaign and it cost the team this season. 

Thanks for clarifying your wording...  (handshake)

I'm not willing to say players will "never play well" at UND.... But if we keep the status quo this off season...even with the injured returning, 2018 will be a carbon copy of 2017. This team was unfocused and unprepared this year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Won't happen, we might score too quickly and lose the time of possession battle.  That's why I for one am sick and tired of this offensive philosophy.  After this debacle of a season I was optimistic for next year right up until I heard Bubba's end of year press conference.  No changes to the staff.   I guess we'll keep imagining we're bigger tougher stronger than everyone else for at least another year.    

My exact thoughts as well. 

There is a lot of posters here thinking that is was only this year that everyone is on he hate train for Rudolph.  Not the case.....been three years plus. Or maybe its just me?  I've felt Rudolph would be at his best calling out bingo numbers at a local dive bar or nursing home...a  much better place for him.       Bubba is definitely in the cross hairs now that he proudly announced everything is all good in his presser 

Santiago is so much better than 700 yards for the year. 

JJ is so much better than 250 yards for the year 

izzy is so much better than 95 yards rec on the year 

luke is so much better than 35 yards rec on the year 

Und plays in the d-less big sky for @&&!  sake!!!!  They don't need four all American OL to succeed in this conf!  Outside of UNC, they were unable to score more then 3 tds offensively in any conference game ?????? 21 points is the best they could muster up?????    Big sky!  Bad defenses !!   Santiago will have one more year of powering it up the gut.....wasted year and career ........frustrating!!  His stats just get worse every year. I expect little from him next year with Rudolph coming back.   MVCF teams will eat this offense up

The offense has talent ...that's what makes it so frustrating!  Used properly and they could excel 

Since no changes will be made .....they open next year on the road against Washington and San Houston......what's the best we can hope for??? ...winning the TOP !? Is that the coaches quota ?  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

My exact thoughts as well. 

There is a lot of posters here thinking that is was only this year that everyone is on he hate train for Rudolph.  Not the case.....been three years plus. Or maybe its just me?  I've felt Rudolph would be at his best calling out bingo numbers at a local dive bar or nursing home...a  much better place for him.       Bubba is definitely in the cross hairs now that he proudly announced everything is all good in his presser 

Santiago is so much better than 700 yards for the year. 

JJ is so much better than 250 yards for the year 

izzy is so much better than 95 yards rec on the year 

luke is so much better than 35 yards rec on the year 

Und plays in the d-less big sky for @&&!  sake!!!!  They don't need four all American OL to succeed in this conf!  Outside of UNC, they were unable to score more then 3 tds offensively in any conference game ?????? 21 points is the best they could muster up?????    Big sky!  Bad defenses !!   Santiago will have one more year of powering it up the gut.....wasted year and career ........frustrating!!  His stats just get worse every year. I expect little from him next year with Rudolph coming back.   MVCF teams will eat this offense up

The offense has talent ...that's what makes it so frustrating!  Used properly and they could excel 

Since no changes will be made .....they open next year on the road against Washington and San Houston......what's the best we can hope for??? ...winning the TOP !? Is that the coaches quota ?  

O line play have anything to do with it?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, homer said:

O line play have anything to do with it?

The three rbs had 271 carries 1602 yards for 5.9 ave.   Is that decent or bad?  With the opposing defenses lining up 9 in the box and knowing nearly every play I think that's not to bad.  IMO, the pure talent from the rbs is perhaps the majority of the reason why they were able to get those yards.   Does the line deserves a little bit of credit with a 5.9 rush ave though? The o line was not perfect but that's what an OC is for, recognize and adjust!  Use screen passes, two step drop passes ,usage of the TEs when the line is struggling....instead Rudolph is comfortably content on sending the 175 lb Santiago up the middle.  When the opposing D gets heavy push or sets up shop in your backfield....you design plays that counter that and work that angle until the defense adjusts accordingly.  Then go back to your mo-jo.  Rudolph has four plays! More like two but has occasionally used up to four in a single game.   Literally ANYBODY could be an OC in this offense. Caveman mentality....give ball to back, back run up middle, back make yard,  back mad!!! 

In regards to the OL,  this staff has had four years to bring in the talent they feel necessary to implement their philosophy.  The staff then starts what they feel is the best 5.  If the 5 they start are not up to par ...its on the staff.  They did the recruiting 

I agree that the line can take blame  just like everyone else that has an association with this years program...but with a combination of playing in the big sky and play calling ....the offense should not be struggling they way they are even with a subpar line.  This amateur play calling will get a heavy dose of reality when they enter mvfc play week in and week out. 

6 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

The three rbs had 271 carries 1602 yards for 5.9 ave.   Is that decent or bad?  With the opposing defenses lining up 9 in the box and knowing nearly every play I think that's not to bad.  IMO, the pure talent from the rbs is perhaps the majority of the reason why they were able to get those yards.   Does the line deserves a little bit of credit with a 5.9 rush ave though? The o line was not perfect but that's what an OC is for, recognize and adjust!  Use screen passes, two step drop passes ,usage of the TEs when the line is struggling....instead Rudolph is comfortably content on sending the 175 lb Santiago up the middle.  When the opposing D gets heavy push or sets up shop in your backfield....you design plays that counter that and work that angle until the defense adjusts accordingly.  Then go back to your mo-jo.  Rudolph has four plays! More like two but has occasionally used up to four in a single game.   Literally ANYBODY could be an OC in this offense. Caveman mentality....give ball to back, back run up middle, back make yard,  back mad!!! 

In regards to the OL,  this staff has had four years to bring in the talent they feel necessary to implement their philosophy.  The staff then starts what they feel is the best 5.  If the 5 they start are not up to par ...its on the staff.  They did the recruiting 

I agree that the line can take blame  just like everyone else that has an association with this years program...but with a combination of playing in the big sky and play calling ....the offense should not be struggling they way they are even with a subpar line.  This amateur play calling will get a heavy dose of reality when they enter mvfc play week in and week out. 

So the team averaged almost 6 yards/running play?? Wow. I would never have guessed it was that good and I understand that a couple of long runs boosts the average, and some of it was Studs running for his life, but ...

Is it possible, Bubba (and Rudy) saw the average and decided they could just keep running? I get it, it didn't work a lot of the time, but the numbers are better than I thought.

5.9 ypc?  That's a stat that just doesn't tell the truth.  The average run was for about .5 yards, then every fifteen plays or so someone would break one for 30+ yards.  That one long run was usually 100% player effort.  There's no consistency with that.  It seemed that UND coaches were banking on that one in fifteen play to get them where they wanted to be.

Sometimes the stats just aren't a reflection of how the games looked.  Look at Disterhaupt's first few games this year.  He was off to a great start with over 10 tackles per game until he ruined that ankle.  The stats looked great, but a lot of those tackles were catching guys from behind 5 or 6 yards down field.  That's not where you want to be making tackles.  Certainly not knocking his efforts AT ALL, but the defense had issues with that happening even though the "tackles" stat looks good.

Stats only tell part of the story.  Look at the time of possession stats this last season, for example.

Anyway, the only stat that really matters is the wins and losses.  I can see UND holding the same staff through this coming season . . . but if I see a dive play to Santiago on first down ever again I'll be the first to shoot the OC a glaring look.  Maybe even a strongly worded letter :D

6 hours ago, 77iceman said:

5.9 ypc?  That's a stat that just doesn't tell the truth.  The average run was for about .5 yards, then every fifteen plays or so someone would break one for 30+ yards.  That one long run was usually 100% player effort.  There's no consistency with that.  It seemed that UND coaches were banking on that one in fifteen play to get them where they wanted to be.

Sometimes the stats just aren't a reflection of how the games looked.  Look at Disterhaupt's first few games this year.  He was off to a great start with over 10 tackles per game until he ruined that ankle.  The stats looked great, but a lot of those tackles were catching guys from behind 5 or 6 yards down field.  That's not where you want to be making tackles.  Certainly not knocking his efforts AT ALL, but the defense had issues with that happening even though the "tackles" stat looks good.

Stats only tell part of the story.  Look at the time of possession stats this last season, for example.

Anyway, the only stat that really matters is the wins and losses.  I can see UND holding the same staff through this coming season . . . but if I see a dive play to Santiago on first down ever again I'll be the first to shoot the OC a glaring look.  Maybe even a strongly worded letter :D

As I mentioned....the talent of the backs were most likely the reason for those stats but to fault the line when they were set up to fail from the beginning is not right either. I also mentioned a couple posts back that they don't need four all Americans on the line to be successful in the big sky.  The play calling absolutely hurt a subpar o line. When opposing Ds stack the box you can't expect 5 guys to block 9.  They were definitely part of a big issue .....but the main issue was from higher up on the ladder