SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

If we didn’t have the injuries like we did and went 3-8 then I would question a coaching change especially after the hype this team had to start the year, but if next year we sh*t the bed and go 3-8 or even 5-6 then maybe a change at the top is warranted. We need to know if this is a one time thing or a pattern. 2002 saw a less than stellar year for Lennon and looked what happened the following year. Lots of questions for the offseason.

It's time to get off the injury thing and move on.   Everyone keeps saying "If we didn't have injuries",  but that happens to all teams.   It's just that good teams work around that.  

"If we didn't have injuries".   Well "if" pigs had wings, they'd be eagles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct. Biggest reason I would like Rudolph replaced.  I also think the QB situation and how it was handled is Bubba's biggest mistake as a head coach.  There was absolutely no reason for them to pull Studsrud's redshirt at the end of a year we weren't going to make the playoffs. Hanson could have finished the season handing the ball off and Studsrud would be a senior next year.  We all gave Keaton a pass for 3 years and much of this year because of the O line and receivers dropping passes.  We never gave either Mollberg  or Bartles a pass for the same problems.  Their  1st 2 yrs our o line was as bad or worse and we had no running game.  Their 1st yr they had talent at WR but those guys including Hardin had too many drops and the Fr Golladay and Jackson weren't always running the correct nor disciplined routes. Look at some of the old film and see what kind of protection those guys had.  Mollberg was developing his Soph year before he got hurt and both years you should have been able to see the potential.  Our staff did nothing to develop any of these three QB's.  What progress Studsrud made was more the result of his own initiative and hard work than coaching.  I know Mollberg and Bartles turned the ball over too much their Fr year but they also had no pass protection.  Keaton had more Int than TD's his senior year.  He also turned it over on a couple of fumbles.  Whose is to say how Mollberg would have played but he should have been given a chance. They didn't let him play even when Keaton was injured.  He got hurt when he was starting to play better and was told at the end of the season he was no longer in their plans.   Rudolph treated him like crap and he didn't deserve that. You don't do that to a kid who gets hurt playing for you.  The following August he was healthy and could have played.  For those who think it was because he wasn't healthy you don't know what you are talking about.  At the end of his Junior season one of the RB's told Mollberg Rudolph had commented he would never see the field Again as long as he was coaching here.  Mollberg said he would play any position they thought would help the team so he was moved to TE. They also hinted they would cut his scholarship.  I know some think my opinion is only because he was from DL.  Maybe you are right.  I also told UND Adam Thielen had the best hands of any HS receiver I had seen and I guess that must have been my DL bias too because UND didn't recruit him.  Incidentally, Mollberg set a DL BBB career scoring record his senior year breaking Adam Thielen's record.  He was Bohl and Vigen's top QB recruit his Sr year and they seem to know something about QB's. (Brock Johnson, Wentz and now Josh Allen).  How the hell Rudolph and Bubba didn't want to at least give him a fair shot at coming back from his injury will never make sense to me.  He was an excellent student, great athlete and great kid.  He had as good of an arm as I have seen at UND in the almost 50 yrs I have been involved with UND FB.   Had Mollberg been QB his last 2 years, he would have pissed off Rudolph because he would have changed some of the dumb ass play calling but I think we would have been better both years and made the playoffs 2 yrs ago and gone further in the playoff last year.  No way to know what would but if anyone doesn't think we need a QB  coach I disagree and I would bet all three of those QB's would agree.   I think Bubba did what he thought would be best for the team and what he was trying to establish offensively.  I disagreed with his decision but he is at practice and he is coaching.  He is the one held responsible for the decisions.  In that I supported him. They way Rudolph treated Mollberg was not acceptable and I will support his dismissal.

I have only one critque/comment on your post. 

Carriage returns, paragraphs, please! :D 

• Upvote 2

Regarding the drug busts on the team, I have an idea of why the football team seemed to be so heavily targeted this year.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4360732-narcotics-detective-enters-crowded-grand-forks-county-sheriffs-race

Narcotics detective enters crowded Grand Forks County sheriff's race

Note:  This does NOT excuse the former players, it just seemed strange to me that UND athletes were seemingly targeted when there are a lot worse/bigger dealers out there.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What progress Studsrud made was more the result of his own initiative and hard work than coaching. 

Devil's advocate here:
Isn't that initiative and hard work what we want?
Doesn't that initiative to work and develop move him up the depth chart. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Devil's advocate here:
Isn't that initiative and hard work what we want?
Doesn't that initiative to work and develop move him up the depth chart. 

Yes.  My understanding is Ira is ripping the lack of coaching, not Studsrud working to improve himself.  Both should be happening.

• Upvote 2

Reading this thread is like deja vu of when Rudolph was at MSU Beavers. But in addition people were also concerned why kids that Minot should be getting or were getting were going to Dickinson, Jamestown, Mary? His offense was very predictable and scheming didn't match opponent, basically if his football team had the better football players, offense looked and worked OK, if players were equal or little less, adjustments weren't correctly made in the week before game or gametime. When he left believe it or not there were some sighs of relief.  But if MSU would of known the problems they would have just hiring a coach period maybe they would not have wished him gone!

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, stonebreaker said:

Reading this thread is like deja vu of when Rudolph was at MSU Beavers. But in addition people were also concerned why kids that Minot should be getting or were getting were going to Dickinson, Jamestown, Mary? His offense was very predictable and scheming didn't match opponent, basically if his football team had the better football players, offense looked and worked OK, if players were equal or little less, adjustments weren't correctly made in the week before game or gametime. When he left believe it or not there were some sighs of relief.  But if MSU would of known the problems they would have just hiring a coach period maybe they would not have wished him gone!

Well this doesn't make me feel any better about Rudy and the future of this offense......

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

Well this doesn't make me feel any better about Rudy and the future of this offense......

I know for a fact Rudy is a high character guy and a good position coach.  Do question his creativity as a OC and HC.  Jury is still out on his recruiting.  The two Minot High kids are going to be really good D2 players, watched them play HS, but were not D1 recruits.  Not sure if schollies were used to get them but if they walked on I guess great, but if schollies were used that year, they should have been used on higher end gets if at all possible or juco spot fillers that were proven.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, UNDColorado said:

This is a bold statement. Care to elaborate?

The best thing to ever happen to Minot State Football was for Rudy to be offered a job at UND....that sums it up. While NDSU and others are hiring DI coaches we are hiring an OC from Minot f#$king State....the rest of the staff are like the old creepy guy showing up to high school parties. They just never leave town to experience anything "bigger and better". Okay, I might be exaggerating just a bit but I'm just sick of all the excuses.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

The best thing to ever happen to Minot State Football was for Rudy to be offered a job at UND....that sums it up. While NDSU and others are hiring DI coaches we are hiring an OC from Minot f#$king State....the rest of the staff are like the old creepy guy showing up to high school parties. They just never leave town to experience anything "bigger and better". Okay, I might be exaggerating just a bit but I'm just sick of all the excuses.

You know, I agree with essentially all of this, which is very upsetting. If Bubba doesn't want this fixed, then the new athletic director better be ready for an early and very important move on his part. 

The team went 3-8 during a season with championship expectations. That's not due to just injuries. Bubba expects things to get better with simply another trial (season), no changes. That is insanity to me and it will likely show next season. This could mark the beginning of the end.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

Minot State is on their 3rd coach in 4 years and they've amassed a record of 8-36 in that time (of which 6 of those wins were against equally crappy if not worse UMary and Crookston)...I'm on record saying I don't like Rudy as OC but it's not like he left Minot and the Beavers became a powerhouse.

2 hours ago, TRex said:

It's time to get off the injury thing and move on.   Everyone keeps saying "If we didn't have injuries",  but that happens to all teams.   It's just that good teams work around that.  

What happened to us doesn’t happen to all teams, when your defense looks like a 3rd string party you know you have problems. Our injury list was the worst I have ever seen, and I have followed UND football since 1985. If it was one or two guys out that’s one thing but when 3/4th of the starters are watching the game from the sidelines you have a problem. Good teams work around it, like whom? Whom this season had 3rd stringers start multiple games on defense, whom has had most of their defensive starters on the bench with injuries. Please enlighten us, that injuries didn’t play a huge part in our 8 losses.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

The last time Minot State was any good they consisted of a bunch of 25 year old Canadian of which more than a few were cycling steroids.  That was back in the NAIA days, Minot is a really hard place to recruit but they were able get some guys back then that couldn't get through the NCAA clearinghouse.  I think Mary is running into some of the same problems now, they were a pretty good NAIA team but have struggled with the move to D2 football.   

18 minutes ago, Feff said:

When people in the stands are calling out what the play is going to be on greater than 50% of the offensive plays, you know you don't have much imagination at the OC spot. 

This issue is nullified a ton by having a good defense, which is what Bubba and Schmidty want UND football's identity to be. Unfortunately, when injuries on defense changed that identity this season, the offense couldn't improvise/compensate. It is very frustrating to know that is the kind of coaching/philosophy going on. 

51 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Minot State is on their 3rd coach in 4 years and they've amassed a record of 8-36 in that time (of which 6 of those wins were against equally crappy if not worse UMary and Crookston)...I'm on record saying I don't like Rudy as OC but it's not like he left Minot and the Beavers became a powerhouse.

They must be dealing with injuries too....hmmmm

54 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You know, I agree with essentially all of this, which is very upsetting. If Bubba doesn't want this fixed, then the new athletic director better be ready for an early and very important move on his part. 

The team went 3-8 during a season with championship expectations. That's not due to just injuries. Bubba expects things to get better with simply another trial (season), no changes. That is insanity to me and it will likely show next season. This could mark the beginning of the end.

Amen...I can honestly pick out on this site who are Minnesota Vikings fans and who are not just by the "okay with mediocrity" responses. We need more fans with balls and who live life with the "if you are not first....you are last" mentality.

3 hours ago, TRex said:

Dohkay.  

I don't recall any of Bubba's prior seasons having this many injuries; and, last year there really weren't all that many. 

I'm not sure how to measure "injuries", but, I suspect this season was what is called in statistics circles "a return to the mean" meaning we probably were below the long-term average for a couple years and this year it went markedly back above. 

Remember: the average isn't average; the average is the average of the highs and lows. 

All that said, what this year exposed first and foremost is a glaring lack of ability to cover an injury (meaning a real lack of depth).