SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Joe's floor was higher than Bartels' ceiling.

I think we really expected too much out of Mollberg.    He was good, but not a superstar player.    I honestly feel that a lot of people felt that since NDSU was interested in him, he had to be the best.     The reality in all sports is that there's always one other guy out there that's better than you.  

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Outside of one season, UND has done !@#$ at the Division I level. For all you blow hards, UND football has a long way to go. 

I'm calling a spade a spade while the rest of you represent ignorance is bliss. 

In Bubba's second year we were seven and 4 and even bison fans have told me we should have been a lock for the playoffs. We would have likely won a playoff game or two that year; I think that was Bubba's best team. So we have had one rebuilding year, two good years and then this year. Despite not being a big fan of Rudy, I think there is still a lot of reason to think that this team will be decent next year. I think all but the most illogical would have to believe that at least some of the results of this past season can be attributed to injuries.  Team culture is it concern, probably brought on in part by how desperate UND was for talented recruits in these past few years.  I would expect Bubba well fix that issue. If he doesn't, the new AD should and  will replace him.  With the way the last few years have gone I would rather take my chances with having Bubba improve the culture and get the team back on track than roll the dice with a new coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, shep said:

It was probably an excuse made up by Bubba's backers as most of us want a mediocre team and will excuse anything.

Not everything, but they seem to excuse his backing of Rudolph which is pure idiocy. They seem to love that stone age offense.

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

Not everything, but they seem to excuse his backing of Rudolph which is pure idiocy. They seem to love that stone age offense.

I think you and some others may be failing to grasp what “they” are saying.  Rudy = scapegoat. The problems of this team right now are mammoth and bigger than one guy. Rudy is part of a larger problem. You get rid of him and leave the other issues unmitigated, you’re going to get very little, if any, improvement. “They” are saying it’s more than one person, and fixating on only one part of the problem is no more helpful than whistling past the graveyard.  How’s that for tough love?  Sorry to highjack this thread. I know there’s a better place for this. 

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

I think you and some others may be failing to grasp what “they” are saying.  Rudy = scapegoat. The problems of this team right now are mammoth and bigger than one guy. Rudy is part of a larger problem. You get rid of him and leave the other issues unmitigated, you’re going to get very little, if any, improvement. “They” are saying it’s more than one person, and fixating on only one part of the problem is no more helpful than whistling past the graveyard.  How’s that for tough love?  Sorry to highjack this thread. I know there’s a better place for this. 

You make. A good point but my question is why does Bubba sn to get a free pass.  At some point being a good old boy back slapper needs to meet the 21st centuary.  If this is the way Bubba wants the offense he needs to be gone too.  Why are we so content with mediocracy in the football program.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish said:

You make. A good point but my question is why does Bubba sn to get a free pass.  At some point being a good old boy back slapper needs to meet the 21st centuary.  If this is the way Bubba wants the offense he needs to be gone too.  Why are we so content with mediocracy in the football program.

Exactly. He and Schmidt get the pass because of their deep ties to the program and past D2 successes. Whereas Rudy is the interloper here and is easier to dismiss as an outsider and square peg in a round hole. I say everything needs to be reviewed but in the context that, excuses or not, injuries were ravenous toward this team this year .... and next year could see a marked improvement if even it’s just the injury situation that improves. Can’t throw the baby out with the bath water but definitely need to find a way to drain all the damn dirty water.  

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

At the end of his Junior season one of the RB's told Mollberg Rudolph had commented he would never see the field Again as long as he was coaching here.  ...   He was Bohl and Vigen's top QB recruit his Sr year and they seem to know something about QB's. (Brock Johnson, Wentz and now Josh Allen).  How the hell Rudolph and Bubba didn't want to at least give him a fair shot at coming back from his injury will never make sense to me.  He was an excellent student, great athlete and great kid.  He had as good of an arm as I have seen at UND in the almost 50 yrs I have been involved with UND FB.   Had Mollberg been QB his last 2 years, he would have pissed off Rudolph because he would have changed some of the dumb ass play calling  ...  [Bubba] is the one held responsible for the decisions.  In that I supported him. They way Rudolph treated Mollberg was not acceptable and I will support his dismissal.

If this is true, and Rudolph's actions support that it is true, it does not invoke much confidence in the current coaching style.

well said Ira

it would have been interesting to see what Mollberg could have done with Bohl and Vigen's coaching. (but at UND not SU)

1 hour ago, TRex said:

I think we really expected too much out of Mollberg.    He was good, but not a superstar player.    I honestly feel that a lot of people felt that since NDSU was interested in him, he had to be the best.     The reality in all sports is that there's always one other guy out there that's better than you.  

I don't think so.  I think we should have expected him to be able to carry an offense and win games for us when we needed him.  He hadn't developed into that guy in his freshman year but I think he was starting to mature his second year.  We never got the chance to see him develop. It wasn't because NDSU wanted him badly nor because Iowa,  Minnesota, Northen Illinois were "interested".   It was because of the potential he showed as a high school QB and as an outstanding athlete.  There wasn't one guy better than he was, there was a coach who didn't give a chance to return from an injury.  A lot of folks on this forum wanted a strong armed QB and Mollberg had all of the tools.  He needed time to adjust to the speed and complexity of the college game.  It's tough enough to do that as a freshman but it's a bitch to do that when you are trying to do that without pass protection, a decent running game and a QB coach.  Look we will never know for sure but whether you think he would have developed into the player we thought he would be or not he deserved a chance after his injury. His ankylosing spondylitis that another blogger mentioned was treated. He was a tough kid and he didn't let that affect him.  He not only played FB, he played basketball.  He and Studsrud were two of the toughest kids on the team. Both of these kids have completed their careers and I guess we move on but just like the coaches are always reevaluating players, Bubba and the staff need to always reevaluate their own performance and abilities.  Back to the subject at hand I think we need to upgrade at QB coach and OC.  For other reasons I would also upgrade at OLine coach.  Gundy explained that very clearly to me and I hope he communicates those thoughts to Bubba.

50 minutes ago, Irish said:

The type of offense you choose to run isn't really a major problem because NDSU seems to be fine running a power running offense.  How you choose to run and execute said offense is the real issue.  If UND went with a wing-t I would be fine as long as it was run well and timing and execution are good.  An offense like that tends to lack flexibility but it isn't like the offense has been super adaptable lately anyway. 

P.S. I am not advocating a switch to the wing-t.  I am just making the point that it isn't what you do, but how well you do it that matters.  

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct. Biggest reason I would like Rudolph replaced.  I also think the QB situation and how it was handled is Bubba's biggest mistake as a head coach.  There was absolutely no reason for them to pull Studsrud's redshirt at the end of a year we weren't going to make the playoffs. Hanson could have finished the season handing the ball off and Studsrud would be a senior next year.  We all gave Keaton a pass for 3 years and much of this year because of the O line and receivers dropping passes.  We never gave either Mollberg  or Bartles a pass for the same problems.  Their  1st 2 yrs our o line was as bad or worse and we had no running game.  Their 1st yr they had talent at WR but those guys including Hardin had too many drops and the Fr Golladay and Jackson weren't always running the correct nor disciplined routes. Look at some of the old film and see what kind of protection those guys had.  Mollberg was developing his Soph year before he got hurt and both years you should have been able to see the potential.  Our staff did nothing to develop any of these three QB's.  What progress Studsrud made was more the result of his own initiative and hard work than coaching.  I know Mollberg and Bartles turned the ball over too much their Fr year but they also had no pass protection.  Keaton had more Int than TD's his senior year.  He also turned it over on a couple of fumbles.  Whose is to say how Mollberg would have played but he should have been given a chance. They didn't let him play even when Keaton was injured.  He got hurt when he was starting to play better and was told at the end of the season he was no longer in their plans.   Rudolph treated him like crap and he didn't deserve that. You don't do that to a kid who gets hurt playing for you.  The following August he was healthy and could have played.  For those who think it was because he wasn't healthy you don't know what you are talking about.  At the end of his Junior season one of the RB's told Mollberg Rudolph had commented he would never see the field Again as long as he was coaching here.  Mollberg said he would play any position they thought would help the team so he was moved to TE. They also hinted they would cut his scholarship.  I know some think my opinion is only because he was from DL.  Maybe you are right.  I also told UND Adam Thielen had the best hands of any HS receiver I had seen and I guess that must have been my DL bias too because UND didn't recruit him.  Incidentally, Mollberg set a DL BBB career scoring record his senior year breaking Adam Thielen's record.  He was Bohl and Vigen's top QB recruit his Sr year and they seem to know something about QB's. (Brock Johnson, Wentz and now Josh Allen).  How the hell Rudolph and Bubba didn't want to at least give him a fair shot at coming back from his injury will never make sense to me.  He was an excellent student, great athlete and great kid.  He had as good of an arm as I have seen at UND in the almost 50 yrs I have been involved with UND FB.   Had Mollberg been QB his last 2 years, he would have pissed off Rudolph because he would have changed some of the dumb ass play calling but I think we would have been better both years and made the playoffs 2 yrs ago and gone further in the playoff last year.  No way to know what would but if anyone doesn't think we need a QB  coach I disagree and I would bet all three of those QB's would agree.   I think Bubba did what he thought would be best for the team and what he was trying to establish offensively.  I disagreed with his decision but he is at practice and he is coaching.  He is the one held responsible for the decisions.  In that I supported him. They way Rudolph treated Mollberg was not acceptable and I will support his dismissal.

I certainly don't agree with everything you say in this post but I didn't understand pulling the redshirt on Studsrud for not reason.  They also didn't give Mollberg the chance to come back and earn the job at QB which seemed foolish to me because Studs was still young and not really ready to go at the time.  As for the rest of your post, not so sure I can get on board because Joe didn't consistently show much in his playing time at UND.  Yes he had some good games but a lot of ugly was mixed in.   He came to UND as this athlete at QB and I think perception was a QB that you could run and get out of trouble and make plays when needed.  I never saw that and I think he bulked up to much and got slow or maybe he never was all that fast.  

7 hours ago, BigGame said:

I certainly don't agree with everything you say in this post but I didn't understand pulling the redshirt on Studsrud for not reason.  They also didn't give Mollberg the chance to come back and earn the job at QB which seemed foolish to me because Studs was still young and not really ready to go at the time.  As for the rest of your post, not so sure I can get on board because Joe didn't consistently show much in his playing time at UND.  Yes he had some good games but a lot of ugly was mixed in.   He came to UND as this athlete at QB and I think perception was a QB that you could run and get out of trouble and make plays when needed.  I never saw that and I think he bulked up to much and got slow or maybe he never was all that fast.  

You are correct.  I believe I already pointed out his struggles especially his freshman year.  We will never know how he would have developed.  I can't say he would have been the QB he seemed to have the potential to become.  My initial post to the subject of this blog was how he was treated by Rudolph.  If he was given a shot and wasn't their guy fine. Coming into UND he was a very versatile athlete with decent speed who could make all of the throws.  He was a hard working coachable kid. I would hope our staff will be able to help those players develop into their full potential. Thus my concerns about keeping Rudolph.  If you think Rudolph has done a good job then we disagree.  Obviously Mollberg is no longer an option.  

10 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

In Bubba's second year we were seven and 4 and even bison fans have told me we should have been a lock for the playoffs. We would have likely won a playoff game or two that year; I think that was Bubba's best team. So we have had one rebuilding year, two good years and then this year. Despite not being a big fan of Rudy, I think there is still a lot of reason to think that this team will be decent next year. I think all but the most illogical would have to believe that at least some of the results of this past season can be attributed to injuries.  Team culture is it concern, probably brought on in part by how desperate UND was for talented recruits in these past few years.  I would expect Bubba well fix that issue. If he doesn't, the new AD should and  will replace him.  With the way the last few years have gone I would rather take my chances with having Bubba improve the culture and get the team back on track than roll the dice with a new coaching staff.

When Bubba was hired, how many would've been satisfied with "decent" in Bubba's 5th season?

People need to step back and realize just how mediocre this coaching regime has been now due to this most recent season (3 wins, 8 loses). 

Obviously no staff changes are going to happen. But I'm making my thoughts known because I'm not expecting much success next season and I think the new AD may need to hire his own in 2018. Let's see what happens.

Go UND

30 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

When Bubba was hired, how many would've been satisfied with "decent" in Bubba's 5th season?

People need to step back and realize just how mediocre this coaching regime has been now due to this most recent season (3 wins, 8 loses). 

Obviously no staff changes are going to happen. But I'm making my thoughts known because I'm not expecting much success next season and I think the new AD may need to hire his own in 2018. Let's see what happens.

Go UND

If we didn’t have the injuries like we did and went 3-8 then I would question a coaching change especially after the hype this team had to start the year, but if next year we sh*t the bed and go 3-8 or even 5-6 then maybe a change at the top is warranted. We need to know if this is a one time thing or a pattern. 2002 saw a less than stellar year for Lennon and looked what happened the following year. Lots of questions for the offseason.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Go UND

Ok let's be realistic here...Bubba just received a contract extension after last year.  I don't remember the particulars of it...but if (and I mean if) we would have a disappointing year next season...where does the money come from to pay two head coaches?  It probably won't pass the eye test if UND has to pay out a fired head coach 18 months after cutting sports to save money...