SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In reality, only 3 years since he was hired a little over a month before his first signing day and you aren't exactly getting the pick of the litter when you get into the game that late. So "his" guys are RS-Sophs and younger right now with a few being juniors. While it's true, that is where your depth comes from, relying on a few of them to provide it is different than having over half of your starting roster being occupied by "depth" guys.

Also, don't forget how many players we lost during the transition! We had 15+ guys leave before Bubba was hired, and then a handful more after. It's their right to do so, but it has made our recent senior and junior classes super small. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

Also, don't forget how many players we lost during the transition! We had 15+ guys leave before Bubba was hired, and then a handful more after. It's their right to do so, but it has made our recent senior and junior classes super small. 

And we have a Bingo! 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Um ... pesky facts:

Sr: 22
Jr: 18
So: 21
RFr: 15
Fr: 24  

We've had a few transfers - so you're right. But the players who stayed are still not recruited by the current staff, and many times don't fit the system. The good players found other homes prior to the transition. You get a free pass to bail if the staff is let go. 

When I did my "by class" counts I looked at names. Normally, I'd recognize most of the seniors and juniors and about half the sophomores. The redshirt freshmen? Maybe a couple names and the rest would be remembering back to signing day two years ago. 

This time through I swear most of the sophomores and redshirt freshmen names I recognized and could mentally hear Jack Michaels say their name in a game (or lineup). And there are a lot of true freshmen that fall into that same category. 

6 hours ago, shep said:

This is your version of the truth, plain and simple. 

Everyone's entitled to and to express it here; I did it a lot on the hockey section as I felt Hak, after 10 years, needed to go. I get it, but it's way too soon to suggest that Bubba should go.

24-22 after four seasons. Mediocrity for 10 seasons before UND football is maybe deemed deserving of more? What was Hak's winning percentage after his first four seasons? Presumably much better than 0.52.

ALERT: People need to raise their expectations for UND football.

I'm sorry for those who get tired of me saying that, but I'm going to repeat it because you folks who expect average football out of UND are an ongoing problem source. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

Right!  Due to player attrition, all football coaches should have 10 years after being hired before their initial evaluation.  Send that out to A.D.'s across the country; they'd love to hear it. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct. Biggest reason I would like Rudolph replaced.  I also think the QB situation and how it was handled is Bubba's biggest mistake as a head coach.  There was absolutely no reason for them to pull Studsrud's redshirt at the end of a year we weren't going to make the playoffs. Hanson could have finished the season handing the ball off and Studsrud would be a senior next year.  We all gave Keaton a pass for 3 years and much of this year because of the O line and receivers dropping passes.  We never gave either Mollberg  or Bartles a pass for the same problems.  Their  1st 2 yrs our o line was as bad or worse and we had no running game.  Their 1st yr they had talent at WR but those guys including Hardin had too many drops and the Fr Golladay and Jackson weren't always running the correct nor disciplined routes. Look at some of the old film and see what kind of protection those guys had.  Mollberg was developing his Soph year before he got hurt and both years you should have been able to see the potential.  Our staff did nothing to develop any of these three QB's.  What progress Studsrud made was more the result of his own initiative and hard work than coaching.  I know Mollberg and Bartles turned the ball over too much their Fr year but they also had no pass protection.  Keaton had more Int than TD's his senior year.  He also turned it over on a couple of fumbles.  Whose is to say how Mollberg would have played but he should have been given a chance. They didn't let him play even when Keaton was injured.  He got hurt when he was starting to play better and was told at the end of the season he was no longer in their plans.   Rudolph treated him like crap and he didn't deserve that. You don't do that to a kid who gets hurt playing for you.  The following August he was healthy and could have played.  For those who think it was because he wasn't healthy you don't know what you are talking about.  At the end of his Junior season one of the RB's told Mollberg Rudolph had commented he would never see the field Again as long as he was coaching here.  Mollberg said he would play any position they thought would help the team so he was moved to TE. They also hinted they would cut his scholarship.  I know some think my opinion is only because he was from DL.  Maybe you are right.  I also told UND Adam Thielen had the best hands of any HS receiver I had seen and I guess that must have been my DL bias too because UND didn't recruit him.  Incidentally, Mollberg set a DL BBB career scoring record his senior year breaking Adam Thielen's record.  He was Bohl and Vigen's top QB recruit his Sr year and they seem to know something about QB's. (Brock Johnson, Wentz and now Josh Allen).  How the hell Rudolph and Bubba didn't want to at least give him a fair shot at coming back from his injury will never make sense to me.  He was an excellent student, great athlete and great kid.  He had as good of an arm as I have seen at UND in the almost 50 yrs I have been involved with UND FB.   Had Mollberg been QB his last 2 years, he would have pissed off Rudolph because he would have changed some of the dumb ass play calling but I think we would have been better both years and made the playoffs 2 yrs ago and gone further in the playoff last year.  No way to know what would but if anyone doesn't think we need a QB  coach I disagree and I would bet all three of those QB's would agree.   I think Bubba did what he thought would be best for the team and what he was trying to establish offensively.  I disagreed with his decision but he is at practice and he is coaching.  He is the one held responsible for the decisions.  In that I supported him. They way Rudolph treated Mollberg was not acceptable and I will support his dismissal.

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Mollberg have Spondiolitis?  If so, not fun, very painful, and robs one of energy.  I read the article about him. Felt so bad for him and the way he was treated.

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct. Biggest reason I would like Rudolph replaced.  I also think the QB situation and how it was handled is Bubba's biggest mistake as a head coach.  There was absolutely no reason for them to pull Studsrud's redshirt at the end of a year we weren't going to make the playoffs. Hanson could have finished the season handing the ball off and Studsrud would be a senior next year.  We all gave Keaton a pass for 3 years and much of this year because of the O line and receivers dropping passes.  We never gave either Mollberg  or Bartles a pass for the same problems.  Their  1st 2 yrs our o line was as bad or worse and we had no running game.  Their 1st yr they had talent at WR but those guys including Hardin had too many drops and the Fr Golladay and Jackson weren't always running the correct nor disciplined routes. Look at some of the old film and see what kind of protection those guys had.  Mollberg was developing his Soph year before he got hurt and both years you should have been able to see the potential.  Our staff did nothing to develop any of these three QB's.  What progress Studsrud made was more the result of his own initiative and hard work than coaching.  I know Mollberg and Bartles turned the ball over too much their Fr year but they also had no pass protection.  Keaton had more Int than TD's his senior year.  He also turned it over on a couple of fumbles.  Whose is to say how Mollberg would have played but he should have been given a chance. They didn't let him play even when Keaton was injured.  He got hurt when he was starting to play better and was told at the end of the season he was no longer in their plans.   Rudolph treated him like crap and he didn't deserve that. You don't do that to a kid who gets hurt playing for you.  The following August he was healthy and could have played.  For those who think it was because he wasn't healthy you don't know what you are talking about.  At the end of his Junior season one of the RB's told Mollberg Rudolph had commented he would never see the field Again as long as he was coaching here.  Mollberg said he would play any position they thought would help the team so he was moved to TE. They also hinted they would cut his scholarship.  I know some think my opinion is only because he was from DL.  Maybe you are right.  I also told UND Adam Thielen had the best hands of any HS receiver I had seen and I guess that must have been my DL bias too because UND didn't recruit him.  Incidentally, Mollberg set a DL BBB career scoring record his senior year breaking Adam Thielen's record.  He was Bohl and Vigen's top QB recruit his Sr year and they seem to know something about QB's. (Brock Johnson, Wentz and now Josh Allen).  How the hell Rudolph and Bubba didn't want to at least give him a fair shot at coming back from his injury will never make sense to me.  He was an excellent student, great athlete and great kid.  He had as good of an arm as I have seen at UND in the almost 50 yrs I have been involved with UND FB.   Had Mollberg been QB his last 2 years, he would have pissed off Rudolph because he would have changed some of the dumb ass play calling but I think we would have been better both years and made the playoffs 2 yrs ago and gone further in the playoff last year.  No way to know what would but if anyone doesn't think we need a QB  coach I disagree and I would bet all three of those QB's would agree.   I think Bubba did what he thought would be best for the team and what he was trying to establish offensively.  I disagreed with his decision but he is at practice and he is coaching.  He is the one held responsible for the decisions.  In that I supported him. They way Rudolph treated Mollberg was not acceptable and I will support his dismissal.

Yup. 

applause.gif

48 minutes ago, shep said:

He means if you have a bad season caused by incredible injuries you MUST ignore the injuries and you MUST fire the coach and if you disagree you have LOW EXPECTATIONS for the team.

I can't wait to hear what the excuse is for next season. Too hard of schedule? Not enough time? Mussman? Who knows ...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Outside of one season, UND has done !@#$ at the Division I level. For all you blow hards, UND football has a long way to go. 

I'm calling a spade a spade while the rest of you represent ignorance is bliss. 

Where were you a couple years ago?  Winning percentage was the same?  

On 11/15/2017 at 10:42 AM, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

Just a thought - have any of you actually met with ANY of the coaches and shared your concerns? Or is this just a place to come and complain, and feel like you could do better? As a fan, that considers themselves a true fan, I have taken the time to meet with several of the coaches. They have always been more than willing to talk ball with me, and help me understand their rationale. 

Well, I posted Bubba's e-mail address and was blasted for being "inappropriate". So I guess the answer to your question for most people on here is no.

3 minutes ago, homer said:

Where were you a couple years ago?  Winning percentage was the same?  

I've supported UND football for over 20 years. I'll be in my seats next year irregardless. But, I don't have to be all jolly about it if I don't agree with the direction. 

I obviously hope for the best (and unfortunately expect not the best after this bull$%!# season).

Go UND

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Outside of one season, UND has done !@#$ at the Division I level. For all you blow hards, UND football has a long way to go. 

I'm calling a spade a spade while the rest of you represent ignorance is bliss. 

After reading others comments and posting my own, I wouldn't exactly call us being in a state of bliss after the way this season unfolded. But, I think its fair to say coaches and players share the blame equally. Players made bone headed mistakes on and off the field. Coaches made bone headed moves also. But, this season is done. Time to climb back down from the ledge and realize, even if we won the championship, its time to reset, evaluate, and get better in preparation for next year.

It happens at the pro level; teams win Super Bowl or go to the big game and don't even make the playoffs or get bounced early the following year. Its hard to stay focused and locked in after you've had success sometimes.  Why? I don't know but it happens. That doesn't mean you fire all of the coaches and get rid of the players, cheerleaders and mascot. You regroup, reset and get back to work.

2018 will be a mandate, especially with a new AD involved.  Also, that whole "cutting sports" thing will be rearing its ugly head if UND continues to struggle on and off the grid-iron (If you don't believe that, check out social media). 

I want to see how the roster changes from now until spring.  

If they aren't going to chance the OC, can they get a QB coach?

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I like Bubba but have completely disagreed with his decision to not give Mollberg a shot after he was injured and came back.   I'm guessing he didn't want to mess with his starter (Studsrud) but when Studsrud was hurt he went with Bartels and never even gave Joe a look.  Joe's upside was much higher than Bartels.