SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He needs to add 20lbs. All DEs should be around 270. NT should be over 300.

Amen to this.  S&C needs to step up and get things figured out this offseason.  Also need ilb to be 230 plus and OLB to be 220 plus.  Need to stop the run as in the past and then we can dictate the rest through blitzes.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sacramento State averaged 3.3 yards per carry on the ground; they averaged 20 yards per catch!! 

The UND defense gave up big pass plays that were deflating and eliminated their chance to win, especially when you have a handicapped offense. The big pass plays allowed by the defense killed UND today. 

All those numbers aside, the most important stat tells the story: UND was -3 in turnovers. 

4th string qb and they ran for 175 yards. While our pass defense was bad if we had held them under 100 yards rushing we would have been in a lot better spot knowing they had to pass to move the ball.  

Thank you geaux!  This thread has been needed for three years  

The offensive talent on this team is being completely wasted.  

Rudy has no business being an OC. His kindergarten play calling and lack of in game control is an embarrassment to UND and college football.  

Bubba needs to rid of loyalty tomorrow......Rudy needs to walk.  I will begin to question bubba if he keeps Rudy.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Thank you geaux!  This thread has been needed for three years  

The offensive talent on this team is being completely wasted.  

Rudy has no business being an OC. His kindergarten play calling and lack of in game control is an embarrassment to UND and college football.  

Bubba needs to rid of loyalty tomorrow......Rudy needs to walk.  I will begin to question bubba if he keeps Rudy.  

Wasn't one to completely blame the OC. But after these last few games it has become apparent that there needs to be some changes. Agree that the use of the offensive talent is being wasted. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, O Town said:

Wasn't one to completely blame the OC. But after these last few games it has become apparent that there needs to be some changes. Agree that the use of the offensive talent is being wasted. 

I gave him a chance and then some. It’s just not gonna happen. He’s not the guy. We need someone creative and e aggresive we can use the players we have to be successful and then some. Someone to take our best guys and make matchup issues for the opposition. 

3 hours ago, shep said:

IF you are in favor of firing Rudy, then you MUST question Bubba about play calling.

Correct,  But Rudy's job as the implementation guy is where the change needs to start.  We must have one of the worst 3rd down conversion rates in FCS

And I hope bubba recognizes that if your game plan isn't working, you adjust BEFORE the game gets out of hand.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

For starters how about an offense that is relatively easy to learn. Then one that is plastic each week and can exploit the opponent’s weaknesses. Too much to ask?

No.  That's what everyone else does. Although... everyone else is beating us... maybe that would work.  But your talking about a pretty big move for a coach who doesn't seem to embrace change.

7 hours ago, zonadub said:

Still contend that Rudy is running the offense Bubba wants. Otherwise Rudy would already be gone.

no in-game adjustments until it's too late... Is that on the OC or the Head Coach when it goes on this long?

It's on both of them. Bubba may be a rah rah hype them up kind of guy but the entire coaching staff's inability to adapt and make adjustments throughout the game (at least prior to be down two plus scores and back against the wall) is what is killing this team. There is just no flexibility from the game plan that was made during the week. I still think we run the ball WAY too much, especially for how little it seems to work. I understand wanting to establish the ground game to open up the passing game but that is not what we appear to be doing.

Something needs to change quickly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, siouxfb said:

4th string qb and they ran for 175 yards. While our pass defense was bad if we had held them under 100 yards rushing we would have been in a lot better spot knowing they had to pass to move the ball.  

4th string QB?  Is that true?  

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

For starters how about an offense that is relatively easy to learn. Then one that is plastic each week and can exploit the opponent’s weaknesses. Too much to ask?

Disclaimer!  Never played football.  What is complicated for QB to hand off to RB running into the line?

1 hour ago, Old Fella said:

Disclaimer!  Never played football.  What is complicated for QB to hand off to RB running into the line?

I'm curious about this too as more than one post has indicated it's a complex system. I see handoffs as being somewhat easy, and the pass routes are pretty basic. Toss in a STUPID QB draw and that's the O. And the occasional jet sweep. 

I understand the QB can audible to the extent he can change a running play to another running play. I don't get that, because if a dumb guy like me sees 9-10 in the box and I don't think my line can handle another running play, why shouldn't a passing play be an option?

Thus, I don't get the complexity issue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FightingHawkSioux said:

Alright - I am as loyal to the football program as you can be. I absolute bleed green and it’s probably a little embarrassing how engulfed with this program I am. I have always read the message boards but have never taken the time to create an account or else just have decided to bite my tongue. 

I’ve finally had enough....

Rudy has to go plain and simple. It is embarrassing how predictable we are with not even a hint of creativity. Clearly he is unable to tailor his offense to the personnel he has or adjust mid game. Here are my top thoughts: 

The fact that he continues to try and develop Brad Heidlebaugh tells me all I need to know on his gauge of talent. Nothing against Brad - but he’s not a division 1 quarterback. I don’t even know if he’s a division III qb. Clearly Rudy didn’t adjust his talent measuring stick after leaving Minot. (Side note - we need to bring in a scholarship quarterback every single year. The sole reason we missed the playoffs 2 years ago was the fact we didn’t have even a pulse as a backup qb and the coaching staff didn’t address the issue. If Ketteringham didn’t fall in our lap - do you guys realize what we would be dealing with next year? QB is the most important position on the team. Start acting like it. We are getting beat by teams with their backups and even 4th string. Our backups can hardly even take a snap). 

The fact that he hasn’t made Grand Forks his home tells me all I need to know about commitment to the community. 

We have the best runningback/offensive threat in the conference and legitimately a top 10 offensive player in the ENTIRE COUNTY and he sits on the sideline for at least half of our offensive snaps. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? John Santiago is that special of a talent and we are completely wasting it. The kid should NEVER leave the field. If you want to run Olivera and Johannason that is fine - but stick John out wide or have him run the jet motion. TEAMS WILL HAVE TO HONOR HIM. If he needs a rest - split him out wide and tell him to just stand there. TEAMS WILL HAVE TO HONOR HIM. I can’t even begin to fathom the stupidity of having our best player and one of the COUNTRY’S best player standing on the sideline. You can’t even make that up. How can we not have a package at this point with both John and Brady out there at the same time? Are you kidding me? Literally the 2 best running backs in the league and they both are on the sideline every other series, and now even more with JJ starting to get some reps.  Do people remember when McCaffery was at Stanford? The kid touched the ball every way possible. The only way Rudy can figure out how to give him the ball is pitch left and pitch right. Embarrassing. 

Can we please mix in a play action on first down and/or throw it deep early????? Not too many bad things happen when you throw it deep. Incomplete? Whoop-dee-doo. Very rarely does it get picked off. We shout it from the mountain tops that we are going to run first - which is fine - but when the opposing team has 9 in the box and both corners are standing on their tip toes coming down hill at the snap - even if we had a good offensive line - that’s nearly an impossible task. You have to be able to show it to at least put a SMALL thought in the defense’s mind. 

This is getting longer then it needs to and I could go on for days. I didn’t even scratch the surface but said enough to at least make me feel a little better. My last thought is that a healthy Keaton is still twice the QB then Zimmerman guys. It was great to see a backup come in and look like he’s held a football before - don’t get me wrong - but Keaton is twice the athlete and QB. We have to realize how bad the play calling is for Keaton and how much it sets him up to fail. He’s asked to hand it off 2 straight times into a brick wall and then on 3rd and long try to throw it (that is if we don’t decide to run draw). It is tough to get any qb in rhythm with those cards dealt. 

Alright - I think my heart rate has come down a little. Thanks for listening to my venting session.....

Amen.

You get it. 

The offense has been bad despite above average talent. That falls on the coaches. Rudolph is not impressive in my opinion and should be replaced.

Unfortunately, the defense has also been poor and made minimal adjustments. The lack of nickel packages and secondary depth should be emphasized more than it has been. Schmidt should be criticized more often but, because he's a UND guy and great person, it's considered taboo. 

The other issue that nobody wants to mention is that Bubba has simply got to do better as a football team manager aka a head coach. Bubba is a class act guy and a great person for UND athletics, but his ability as a head coach to maintain his team under high expectations should be put into question. He's a great guy and I understand the taboo also associated with criticizing his coaching, but his inability to change things that aren't working (offensive passing game and personnel packages and evaluation, defensive coverage ineptitude, etc.) is concerning. 

The injuries this season are horribly unfortunate, but there are good coaching staffs around the country that would make the necessary adjustments to at least maintain competitiveness. One would have to be completely college football ignorant to not at least realize that. Right now, I hate to say it but Bubba and his staff have made minimal to no adjustments to make the best out of a bad situation. True grit is best observed when tough, unexpected situations arise. Bubba and his staff have handled this season's curveball horribly and embarrassingly. It's not always peachy and injury-free as we have now experienced; thus, you need to be able to improvise as a staff. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Rudolph can take Knauf, Baukol, and Kostich with him. 

I agree, major changes need to be made in the coaching staff, the strength and conditioning program, and the expectations of and the way the team carries itself during the season and in the offseason.  The coaching staff needs to identify players that are not willing to do what it takes to be a part of something bigger than themselves.  I would notify the team there will be random drug tests and anyone failing is done.

• Like 1