SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/node/4359552

Injuries, injuries, injuries...yet that other school can pluck a guy out of not one but two positions and have him starting at a third position this past weekend!  

Sounds similar Jaxson Turner, though he returns kick instead of being the "3rd" or "4th" string QB, there is no possible way he was the actual back-up QB, absolutely zero and NDSU's depth chart confirms that. They made sure he could take a snap and turn and hand it off if necessary. You also don't "learn" a position in two practices, they simplified his linebacker duties and schemed it so it was similar to his position at strong safety, which the coach states is not a permanent thing due to his size.

52 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Recheck the title of this thread.........and then the # of pages to it.

Yeah, this board also had multiple Fire Hak threads that were much longer than this.....I'd hardly use those stats from a message board as a barometer of reality, just like I wouldn't use an article on NDSU by Caillou about a defensive player being NDSU's top back-up at QB as reality.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Recheck the title of this thread.........and then the # of pages to it.

I’m well aware thanks.  In less than a months time as well.  

I’m not saying he should stay or go, I’m torn actually.  I answered the question that there was a season when we had our best OL in recent memory that no one complained about the OC.  And actually if not for the double reverse last year, complaints were fairly minimal.  They actually got a bit quieter as the OL improved last year.  Until the 2nd half at Richmond.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TRex said:

Not really.   He just got out played by Studsrud.    Happens sometimes.

Everyone wanted Mollberg to be a stud and he just wasn't.  He certainly played well at times and poorly at times and it's unfortunate the way things worked out for him. 

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Right, why hire a coach that could be successful for UND and move on? Look what Bohl did for NDSU - what a shame! Instead, lets hire for long-term mediocrity! Gotta love it! 

Think about it. Deboer was young and incredibly talented...but was likely destined to climb the ladder. Bubba is what he is. A safe home state hire and ready to finish his coaching years at home.

3 hours ago, SteppenHawk said:

Think about it. Deboer was young and incredibly talented...but was likely destined to climb the ladder. Bubba is what he is. A safe home state hire and ready to finish his coaching years at home.

Gene Murphy and Carl Miller up and went West to greener pastures in the 70’s and man did we ever learn our lesson!!! 

4 hours ago, SteppenHawk said:

Talking with coaches in Sioux Falls they seemed to think most of the coaching talent at USF back then was with other coaches on his staff.  No idea if that is true but it is what I was told.

22 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Personally, I think this year was an anomaly year with injuries and a few bad apples not buying in to the program culture. Reset. Hit it hard next year and see  if we don’t rebound. If after that we are still languishing, make the proper adjustments at the top. 

Here’s to that being the case. The injuries put a number of young guys into starting or significant roles that they weren’t ready for - either mentally or physically. Those guys still played - because there weren’t other options. Maturity goes a long way - so I’m hoping to see some transitions - from young men to just plain men.

As for the bad apples - I don’t know exactly who you’re referring to, but I can guess. I have heard some troubling things, though, that aren’t about bad apples but about how some players are treated. Let’s all remember that there are two sides to a story. The people in authority can’t tell all that they know, and the players don’t necessarily have the platform to be able to tell what they know. So many relevant facts don’t see the light of day. All we really know is suspensions have been handed out and players have been dismissed. Time will tell whether these were isolated incidents or indications of a team culture in need of change.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Here’s to that being the case. The injuries put a number of young guys into starting or significant roles that they weren’t ready for - either mentally or physically. Those guys still played - because there weren’t other options. Maturity goes a long way - so I’m hoping to see some transitions - from young men to just plain men.

As for the bad apples - I don’t know exactly who you’re referring to, but I can guess. I have heard some troubling things, though, that aren’t about bad apples but about how some players are treated. Let’s all remember that there are two sides to a story. The people in authority can’t tell all that they know, and the players don’t necessarily have the platform to be able to tell what they know. So many relevant facts don’t see the light of day. All we really know is suspensions have been handed out and players have been dismissed. Time will tell whether these were isolated incidents or indications of a team culture in need of change.

When a team consisting of 80? players  has multiple players arrested for dealing over the span of 6 months by a drug task force as the result of investigations and multiple raids there is a cultural problem on the team.  I am in no way saying that every player on the team deals or that every player on the team uses or but I do know that it has been far more prevalent than any of us would like or that Bubba and the university can tolerate.  When a situation gets to a certain point there is guilt by association, and as someone earlier pointed out the rules and expectations on a team are different than the legal system.

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

When a team consisting of 80? players  has multiple players arrested for dealing over the span of 6 months by a drug task force as the result of investigations and multiple raids there is a cultural problem on the team.  I am in no way saying that every player on the team deals or that every player on the team uses or but I do know that it has been far more prevalent than any of us would like or that Bubba and the university can tolerate.  When a situation gets to a certain point there is guilt by association, and as someone earlier pointed out the rules and expectations on a team are different than the legal system.

We understand your opinion on this subject. You have posted it 43,572 times (give or take). There is room for an opinion that is different or more nuanced than yours, too. I have been told things that in some ways differ from your info. I have no idea which fact is correct (or if it's a combination of the two) but your account of the situation is being accepted as fact by many posters here. I hope everyone is open to the possibility that what Midwestern Hawk posts on this subject may - or may not - be 100% true.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

We understand your opinion on this subject. You have posted it 43,572 times (give or take). There is room for an opinion that is different or more nuanced than yours, too. I have been told things that in some ways differ from your info. I have no idea which fact is correct (or if it's a combination of the two) but your account of the situation is being accepted as fact by many posters here. I hope everyone is open to the possibility that what Midwestern Hawk posts on this subject may - or may not - be 100% true.

63 players listed on the depth chart in the Spring Prospectus, 5 were not suited up due to search warrants being executed by the drug task force, and 1 was not suited up due to failing a drug test in fall of 2016.....10% of the players on that depth chart.  I hope you are not arguing about there being a culture problem on the team.  10%.

1 minute ago, ibleedgreen said:

Plain and simple. Bubba had 4 years to build depth....he did not so I say he needs to go with Rudolph. P.S. he will not build a program with the coaching staff he currently has. Sorry, if this offends some of you but it's the truth. They are all DII if you ask me.

This is a bold statement. Care to elaborate?

45 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

Plain and simple. Bubba had 4 years to build depth....he did not so I say he needs to go with Rudolph. P.S. he will not build a program with the coaching staff he currently has. Sorry, if this offends some of you but it's the truth. They are all DII if you ask me.

This is your version of the truth, plain and simple. 

Everyone's entitled to and to express it here; I did it a lot on the hockey section as I felt Hak, after 10 years, needed to go. I get it, but it's way too soon to suggest that Bubba should go.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If you have inside information you’d like to share, please do.

Have there been issues? Clearly yes.

Did some players make bad decisions? Also clearly yes.

All I’m saying is that I have heard some things that suggest that not all of these guys are getting a fair shake. Some are being swept up in situations where one may be guilty and another may not.

Arrests are not convictions. Accusations are not proof. It wasn’t that long ago that a drug task force in the Twin Cities was found to be overly zealous in their work because there was pressure to show results. Things are not always as they seem.

As an example, here what I have heard about one of the incidents you’re referring to. It’s second hand - so I don’t take it as fact - but as information that may or may not be true: 

A Grand Forks resident had a laptop go missing and was assumed to be stolen. While looking around for the laptop, this person found a “bag of drugs” and called the police. The police investigated and asked questions about who else lived in the building - and specially asked if any football players lived there. Somehow that turned into a warrant and an apartment was searched. No sign of a laptop. No sign of anything illegal. After swabbing for chemical residue and finding some trace of drug(s) - not sure what - arrests were made. All of the residents of the apartment were arrested.

Again - that’s the story I heard. The full truth is almost certainly somewhat different. But if any of that is true - there’s more than one culture that’s concerning.