SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I agree with you saying next year will be the make or break year for this UND staff, but if you are going to compare this situation to the NDSU 2009 situation, I think some very important differences should be pointed out between the two situations.

1st, Bohl had already built a TON of equity with the fanbase and the boosters by having two back to back 10-1 seasons, the historic 2003 win at Montana and the program shifting win in 2007 over Minnesota. One could argue Bubba has equity with the fanbase as well, but as a coordinator moreso than the head coach.

2nd, I’m not one for moral victories, a loss is a loss, but being blown out in multiple games is a much different scenario to me than losing 4 games by less than 7 points. I’ll post the links below, if anyone cares to peruse each season to compare.

Again, I agree that the prudent thing for the UND fanbase is to give it one more year before calling for Bubba to be removed, but using NDSUs ‘09 season as analogous to UND’s 2017 season is being unfair to the portion of your fanbase that is genuinely disgusted with the manner in which UND played this year in those losses.

http://www.gobison.com/mobile/schedule.aspx?schedule=46

http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=6399&SPSID=58644

Bubba won the fans over in 2015 with the school’s FBS win over Bohl’s Wyoming team and winning 7 DI games the most ever to that point, the following year they win 9 DI games the most ever, go undefeated in the conference and win a share of the BSC title, plus a home playoff game. Attendance this year is the highest ever in UND history and that includes no game with NDSU (which usually bumps attendance numbers). Fans will return next year only to see how this team has improved over the previous season and if a change is needed at the end of the year.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

How did UNI do against the big sky this year?

...1 win and 1 loss

That loss was a three point loss on the road to your conference’s likely champion.

Odd choice for an example when trying to show the Big Sky is equal to the MVFC.

7 hours ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

How is no one holding the defense accountable for giving up 40+ points a game? You all complain that Bubba is "too loyal" to his offensive coaches, but mention nothing about the defensive coaches! Bunch of one-sided talk.

shhhh... don't point out the real problems from this season.

7 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Defensive issues would of been resolved with 2-3 players.  Needed Rodgers in the middle, or anyone over 230 lbs that is decent (Bakker or O'Brien last year).  Needed Reyes or Tamas to stay healthy and with either Harris or Holm and we would of been fine.  Except for one thing.......we had a couple games when the offense had about just as many 3 and outs as 1st downs.  Very few defenses will stand up to that.  And on defense, we didn't have the equivalent to a long snapper playing free safety against Montana in the 1st half.

I disagree, 3 players would not have fixed the d and they were terrible when Reyes was in early in the year as well.  

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

...1 win and 1 loss

That loss was a three point loss on the road to your conference’s likely champion.

Odd choice for an example when trying to show the Big Sky is equal to the MVFC.

The 1 win was in overtime against cal poly, who has only won 1 game all year.  UNI could easily be tied for 1st or second place in the valley Saturday night.  Seems like a reasonable comparison to me.  

5 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Yet, in spite of the injuries, sit at #1 in the nation.  Down in the most recent game, their offense picked up the slack and won the football game with the last 14 points.  Amazing how that works.

So after making the playoff one time in FCS we have turned into Bison fans and think we have Alabama depth all over the field. 

5 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I disagree, 3 players would not have fixed the d and they were terrible when Reyes was in early in the year as well.  

Says the guy in goalie pads vrs a 4 year starter in the 3-4 defense.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

The 1 win was in overtime against cal poly, who has only won 1 game all year.  UNI could easily be tied for 1st or second place in the valley Saturday night.  Seems like a reasonable comparison to me.  

But as I said, they lost by three, on the road to your likely champion. 

If anything all it shows is how up and down UNI has been this year, not how comparable the two conferences are. This same UNI team got beaten handily by NDSU and essentially dominates SDSU. They are very inconsistent.

Good enough to beat anyone when they are on, bad enough to lose to anyone when they aren’t.

2 minutes ago, BigGame said:

So after making the playoff one time in FCS we have turned into Bison fans and think we have Alabama depth all over the field. 

I didn't start the comparison, just pointing out a program is 10-0 in spite of numerous injuries vrs 3-8 with several blow out losses in their respective divisions.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Says the guy in goalie pads vrs a 4 year starter in the 3-4 defense.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Yeah, that's my daughter.  Nice of you to notice.  Do you want to break out coaching credentials now?  That might be fun but way off topic. 

9 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I didn't start the comparison, just pointing out a program is 10-0 in spite of numerous injuries vrs 3-8 with several blow out losses in their respective divisions.

I get you, but Alabama dumps most of the roster into the NFL every year and have enough depth and recruiting to be a top five team every year.  Alabama is outside the norm for any college team.  

8 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Yeah, that's my daughter.  Nice of you to notice.  Do you want to break out coaching credentials now?  That might be fun but way off topic. 

4th year termite hockey, 1st year 8U girls, but I am not posting as an expert on the UND Hockey forum.

8 hours ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

How is no one holding the defense accountable for giving up 40+ points a game? You all complain that Bubba is "too loyal" to his offensive coaches, but mention nothing about the defensive coaches! Bunch of one-sided talk.

History is the difference.  

To me the difference is we had a good to excellent defense the past two years.  The defense was ravaged with injuries this year, and the result is a poor year.  I am much more confident on that side of the ball that things can get fixed with a healthy two deep.

The offense on the other hand has never excelled, is the most predictable in the conference or dare I say all of D1, and does not properly utilize the talent on the roster.   So injuries or not, I have no confidence in a Rudolph led offense taking us any further than the natural talent of those players will take us.  

• Upvote 4

I just wanted to throw this out there. In 2014, Mollberg gets hurt and Bartles also goes down. With 4 games left win what seemed like a lost season we bring in Studsrud. Could’ve had Hanson bring us into the end of the season but played for the future and turned to Studsrud.

They opt not to bring Mollberg in to start in 2015. They stick with Studsrud baffling most of us. The season goes ok with Wyoming win and the emergence of Santiago. Not great QB play but not terrible. That winter we bring in 0 Scholarship QB’s.

2016 we have SR QB’s as backups and one project QB with throwing motion similar to discus throwers. D plays great, Offense plays ok. Season ends in the third quarter of a playoff game after a dum ass reverse play. Sr. QB’s are gone, with one of them ending his career as a TE. We finally recruit a QB.

This !@#!$ year happens and here we are. 

We either have one of our two transfers start at QB next year or our RS FR. Of course we could force Heidlebaugh out there but I think even he would ridicule the coaching staff for that. Does anybody find it odd that Heidlebaugh was given way more of a chance at QB than our programs most highly touted Recruit ever. 

What I’m really trying to point out here is WTF was the plan with our QB’s? We haven’t had injuries or bad luck. The QB’s this staff has recruited have turned out to be exactly what they were when they came here. Heidlebaugh great athlete not a QB, Studsrud game manager not a deep ball threat or playmaker. What’s wrong with a QB that can throw deep and stretch the field? Zimmerman might be something but heaven forbid we put in a game. If Boltman turns out to be a Studsrud and we don’t put a Oline in front of him. We’re screwed. 

• Upvote 4

I posted this on 2017 Season thread but most of injury discussion is here so posting here as well.

Goon with a good analogy.  Some have done a similar comparison with hockey and used the % of total football roster.  I think Goon is closer to reality since so many football players come to school not ready for DI football and and aren't expected to play much if at all in a given season.    As a % of those counted on to play a large role on the team this is pretty close.

image.png.2e4d2cfb6bee5055a307f3cc173f0f55.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bang said:

I just wanted to throw this out there. In 2014, Mollberg gets hurt and Bartles also goes down. With 4 games left win what seemed like a lost season we bring in Studsrud. Could’ve had Hanson bring us into the end of the season but played for the future and turned to Studsrud.

They opt not to bring Mollberg in to start in 2015. They stick with Studsrud baffling most of us. The season goes ok with Wyoming win and the emergence of Santiago. Not great QB play but not terrible. That winter we bring in 0 Scholarship QB’s.

2016 we have SR QB’s as backups and one project QB with throwing motion similar to discus throwers. D plays great, Offense plays ok. Season ends in the third quarter of a playoff game after a dum ass reverse play. Sr. QB’s are gone, with one of them ending his career as a TE. We finally recruit a QB.

This !@#!$ year happens and here we are. 

We either have one of our two transfers start at QB next year or our RS FR. Of course we could force Heidlebaugh out there but I think even he would ridicule the coaching staff for that. Does anybody find it odd that Heidlebaugh was given way more of a chance at QB than our programs most highly touted Recruit ever. 

What I’m really trying to point out here is WTF was the plan with our QB’s? We haven’t had injuries or bad luck. The QB’s this staff has recruited have turned out to be exactly what they were when they came here. Heidlebaugh great athlete not a QB, Studsrud game manager not a deep ball threat or playmaker. What’s wrong with a QB that can throw deep and stretch the field? Zimmerman might be something but heaven forbid we put in a game. If Boltman turns out to be a Studsrud and we don’t put a Oline in front of him. We’re screwed. 

Mollberg got shafted. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Why they didn't give him a shot in the second half of the Montana game his junior year is beyond me, unless he wasn't healthy enough to play. 

At the time I thought he must of been. Ira was up and arms about the situation. I figured the staff knew something. As it turns out our staff was in love with mediocre QB play. Studsrud is not a bad QB but I think if Mollberg was given the same opportunity and put into a system he could flourish under, the sky was the limit with him. Opportunity squandered by our staff.

I think the Montana game this year proves the theory of our staffs inability to evaluate our QB’s. I’ve always been one of the guys that say I’m not in practice everyday watching the players and evaluating. In this case I think there’s been enough game time evidence to prove our QB evaluations have been off. 

Its not just the evaluations of the QB’s we have in camp but the ones we recruit and how we do it. Look at the predicament we’re in for next year. Obviously, after a three and a half year starter graduates you’re on uneasy ground, but you should be able to have at least an apparent QB in waiting. This is not the case.  I will say that one of our transfers may step up and totally redeem the staff. I’m not sold to this point that will happen.

It will be interesting in spring camp this year what the depth chart looks like. All the QBs have been in the program thru fall. They should have a handle on who’s number 1. I think given past info that they start Boltman and attempt to make him a four year starter. If Heidlebaugh is even at QB I’m going to lose my mind. Anybody else want to take a stab at that one? 

8 hours ago, BigGame said:

I think a gundy is largely correct.  If Rodgers, Harris and Larson don’t go down with injuries D would be much different.  CB and ILB incredibly important in an attacking style D.  If you can’t stop the run, everything else goes to !@#$.

7 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I posted this on 2017 Season thread but most of injury discussion is here so posting here as well.

Goon with a good analogy.  Some have done a similar comparison with hockey and used the % of total football roster.  I think Goon is closer to reality since so many football players come to school not ready for DI football and and aren't expected to play much if at all in a given season.    As a % of those counted on to play a large role on the team this is pretty close.

image.png.2e4d2cfb6bee5055a307f3cc173f0f55.png

Don't know if this analogy is that pertinent.  They had all their skill players on offense,  which typically make up your first two lines in hockey.  Sure they lost a few offensive lineman and the rest were young, but look at how the young players are doing for UND in hockey.   Bottom line is it is apples to oranges, so why try draw that type of analogy.  There was a time when UND couldn't even dress a full lineup in hockey, yet made a run at getting to another Frozen Four.  

54 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think a gundy is largely correct.  If Rodgers, Harris and Larson don’t go down with injuries D would be much different.  CB and ILB incredibly important in an attacking style D.  If you can’t stop the run, everything else goes to !@#$.

And if you have a piss poor talent evaluator and play-caller on offense, your offense always goes to !@#$.

Both sides of the ball weren't working this year; thus the mere 3 wins. Folks, you don't go from 9 wins to 3 wins without major catastrophe. UND lost to arguably inferior teams this year (Sac State, UC Davis, Montana State); 6 wins was definitely doable this season despite the injuries. Things absolutely fell apart and people need to be held accountable. 

• Upvote 2