SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think anyone is saying the defense shouldn't be accountable, but that was where the bulk of the injuries seemed to be. Safety, Corner, LB. Hard to stop anyone when you are that thin.

That being said, I do think there needs to be more accountability in our recruiting at LB. Too many undersized converted safeties.

This thread is full of people calling for the head of an OC and OL coach, but on the line we had two redshirt freshman and two redshirt sophomores playing most of the year. That's a tough position to have young players, when your offense is designed to run the ball. Young players filling in for injured experienced players was happening on all sides of the ball, not just defense. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think this fan base needs to be prepared that seasons like this last one might be the norm starting in 2020 and moving forward for a couple years after that.  UND will need a huge upgrade in talent and coaching ability to be ready to win in the MVC come 2020.

Especially for the kind of football they want to play.  When it is predicated on having a great offensive line and yours would be bottom of the pile in that league, you have work to do. 

6 minutes ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

How is no one holding the defense accountable for giving up 40+ points a game? You all complain that Bubba is "too loyal" to his offensive coaches, but mention nothing about the defensive coaches! Bunch of one-sided talk.

Both sides of the ball were bad; thus, only three wins. I'm completely endorsing that. 

4 minutes ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

How is no one holding the defense accountable for giving up 40+ points a game? You all complain that Bubba is "too loyal" to his offensive coaches, but mention nothing about the defensive coaches! Bunch of one-sided talk.

I would be glad to talk about the defense - they had it a little worse for injuries though, but have a stubborn love of the 3-4 which was put in to stop the option.  Defense giving up 40+ points a game and Rudolph calling the plays = train wreck.  It is beyond mystifying why we have seen no changes.  Bubba needs to wake up and smell the toast.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think anyone is saying the defense shouldn't be accountable, but that was where the bulk of the injuries seemed to be. Safety, Corner, LB. Hard to stop anyone when you are that thin.

That being said, I do think there needs to be more accountability in our recruiting at LB. Too many undersized converted safeties.

This is a two-sided issue. While one can scream injuries, another can conveniently counter-argue with poor recruiting. I think the injuries were certainly unfortunate and bad luck to a degree, but it also showed that this coaching staff has dropped the ball on recruiting. Recruiting has to be much better. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

This thread is full of people calling for the head of an OC and OL coach, but on the line we had two redshirt freshman and two redshirt sophomores playing most of the year. That's a tough position to have young players, when your offense is designed to run the ball. Young players filling in for injured experienced players was happening on all sides of the ball, not just defense. 

You're correct, but where are your biggest losses, with lack of depth. Reyes, Harris, O'Brien, Rodgers, etc.

Not letting the defense off of the hook by any means. They looked awful this season. Plenty of blame to go around, but my issues with Rudolph at OC go beyond just this 1 bad season. Even in a playoff year, he still wasn't impressive.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Perhaps Bubba has been holding Rudy back. It’s possible. If so, I’d like for Bubba to unleash him next year. I’ll eat a full plate of crow if that happens. Heck I’d have seconds. We'll see.

Won't happen. He's running an offense from 1980. 

Only way around it is with great players that are purely better than the competition.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

Defensive issues would of been resolved with 2-3 players.  Needed Rodgers in the middle, or anyone over 230 lbs that is decent (Bakker or O'Brien last year).  Needed Reyes or Tamas to stay healthy and with either Harris or Holm and we would of been fine.  Except for one thing.......we had a couple games when the offense had about just as many 3 and outs as 1st downs.  Very few defenses will stand up to that.  And on defense, we didn't have the equivalent to a long snapper playing free safety against Montana in the 1st half.

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Won't happen. He's running an offense from 1980. 

Only way around it is with great players that are purely better than the competition.  

We'll see. I’ll give them this next year to prove what they’ve got. That’s assuming Bubba has been holding back the offense.

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Our five best offensive weapons are 5, 11, 22, 31, and 33.
No fewer than three of them should be on the offensive field at any one time. 

Thinking more about this, I could argue at least two of them should be on the field for any given special teams play (assuming all five available and healthy). 

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Perhaps Bubba has been holding Rudy back. It’s possible. If so, I’d like for Bubba to unleash him next year. I’ll eat a full plate of crow if that happens. Heck I’d have seconds. We'll see.

I remember Lennon with Muss as OC --> Predictable hyper-conservative offense. 

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is a two-sided issue. While one can scream injuries, another can conveniently counter-argue with poor recruiting. I think the injuries were certainly unfortunate and bad luck to a degree, but it also showed that this coaching staff has dropped the ball on recruiting. Recruiting has to be much better. 

You typically don't/can't expect an incoming player to play as a true freshman. It takes years in many positions to get down the plays and be strong enough to compete. There are situations where true freshman and redshirt freshman can be ready early, but that's few and far between. You see very little of this even at big DI schools. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

UND hockey fans after a season-opening loss:  "HAKSTOL'S HEAD SHOULD ROLL!  BREAK UP THE TOP LINE!  DO SOMETHING - ANYTHING!"  

UND football fans after a 3-8 season:  "Keep everything the same - no changes needed.  Don't hit the panic button.  Let's not make any snap decisions."  

Expectations by fans have a tangible affect on outcomes. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I remember Lennon with Muss as OC --> Predictable hyper-conservative offense. 

UND's offense really hasn't changed much in the past 25 years.  The ebbs and flows are with the defense and how many high-octane offenses they have to face these days.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

UND hockey fans after a season-opening loss:  "HAKSTOL'S HEAD SHOULD ROLL!  BREAK UP THE TOP LINE!  DO SOMETHING - ANYTHING!"  

UND football fans after a 3-8 season:  "Keep everything the same - no changes needed.  Don't hit the panic button.  Let's not make any snap decisions."  

And how many of those changes happen? 

Easier to try different combinations when you play 3 times as many games with an exhibition.  

1 hour ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

You typically don't/can't expect an incoming player to play as a true freshman. It takes years in many positions to get down the plays and be strong enough to compete. There are situations where true freshman and redshirt freshman can be ready early, but that's few and far between. You see very little of this even at big DI schools. 

There are true freshman and redshirt freshman across the country that make big plays every Saturday, but typically they shouldn't play, correct. Remember Santiago as a freshman or Reyes as a redshirt freshman. Just look at Toivonen and Wanzek last season. Remember Grady on the OL? List goes on and on. It can happen. Also, and possibly most importantly, teams with depth don't have the backup be a freshman - sophomore or junior is more ideal. 

• Upvote 3

Bubba has a 24-22 record after 4 seasons. Pretty average. Losing season next season and he should get the boot. Having a losing record after five seasons is more than enough to qualify a dismissal. I hope it goes the other way, obviously, and we have a winning season. I'll be in the stands irregardless. Time to look at the record and not just whether the guy will buy you a cup of coffee. Being nice will only get you so far.