SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Wow, your marketing mind is quite unique. Get a grip. 

Think they go up because what is coming two years down the road.  You don’t get season tickets now, you’ll have !@#!$ seats in 2020.  People around me are adding seats to their grouping if available.  Good seats in groupings will get purchased.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, homer said:

Which back up players are talking about specifically?  

Well, on offense, the backup quarterback situation was a disaster with Brad Heidlebaugh. He can't play DI. That has been well discussed on this forum. 

I feel the backup linebacker situation was not good, with Rastas and Nevermann being incapable at this level this year. Also having Disterhaupt play inside was not ideal at all - he's an outside player and his playing inside was bad. Murray and Grier were ghosts.

Tyus Carter and Blubaugh were not DI caliber at corner this year. They were lost and panicked on deep balls consistently. 

Ty Shannon wasn't horrible at safety, but he was out there too early. The other players I've mentioned, though, weren't showing skill in addition to being uncomfortable. 

All in all, the QB, LB, and Secondary depth issues were significant. The QB issue is largely where the Paul Rudolph dismissal topic caught momentum. I am of the opinion that he shouldn't be QB coach; his offense is not QB friendly at all. In fact, it's horrible. Ask any former college or pro QB who was worth a damn: the worst coaching is run, run, and now pass on 3rd and 8. Defense always knows what's coming and will make you look horrible. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, homer said:

Think they go up because what is coming two years down the road.  You don’t get season tickets now, you’ll have !@#!$ seats in 2020.  People around me are adding seats to their grouping if available.  Good seats in groupings will get purchased.  

After a year like this I don't think the thought of tougher competition in a couple years is going to get on the fence people or first time season ticket holders excited. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Sure that notion makes sense, but most people who sat around me still didn't even know UND is going to the MVFC. That news hasn't caught on yet for some reasons, probably because the propaganda from Fargo that UND and NDSU are on different levels of classification/competitiveness still resonates within the average fan. 

With all that said, this 3-8 season won't help attendance next season at all. Even with the improved gameday experience, most folks focused on the loses.   

Am I upset about this season? Hell yeah I am.  Am I giving up on this team? Hell no I'm not.  Even with the Youth/Injuries I still felt our offense had the talent to score 30 PPG against the typically mediocre defenses we play.  We didn't seem to make any adjustments when things weren't going right, bottom line, you gotta get your best players the ball in positions they can succeed.  If the OL isn't opening holes, Santiago isn't going to hammer out any, but maybe JJ or Brady could at least plunge forward to get 3 yards to keep 3rd downs manageable.  I think that's why people are all aboard the Fire Rudolph train, we still expected more out of the offense.  I'm hoping this was just the perfect storm where everything that can go wrong went wrong, and is just an anomaly when we are looking back 5-10 years from now.  I hold this team to FCS championship expectations, I did going into this year, I still do going into next year.  Let's get everybody healed and bulked up, look into adjustments we can make, and go fill out the rest of our recruiting class while not forgetting about those already committed.  Hoping for some good gets yet, hopefully a scholly QB.

Also, with all the injuries it seemed like our defense went ultra conservative, but when we still chose to be aggressive wasn't our defense playing better?? e.g, Northern Colorado, Portland St, 2nd half EWU...  Is this just something in my head or anyone else notice this??

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sure that notion makes sense, but most people around me still don't know UND is even going to the MVFC. That news hasn't caught on yet for some reasons, probably because the propaganda from Fargo that UND and NDSU are on different levels of classification/competitiveness still resonates within the average fan. 

With all that said, this 3-8 season won't help attendance next season at all. Even with the improved gameday experience, most folks focused on the loses.   

I think this fan base needs to be prepared that seasons like this last one might be the norm starting in 2020 and moving forward for a couple years after that.  UND will need a huge upgrade in talent and coaching ability to be ready to win in the MVC come 2020.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

I think this fan base needs to be prepared that seasons like this last one might be the norm starting in 2020 and moving forward for a couple years after that.  UND will need a huge leap in talent and coaching ability to be ready to win in the MVC come 2020.

I disagree.  The Fargo propaganda has gotten to you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

2017: 18 sacks 17 QB Hurries

2016: 24 sacks 36 QB Hurries (excludes Playoff game)

Losing Harris and the ILB situation caused that.  With a better tandem at ILB throughout the season we could have stopped the run, forced the other team to pass and blitzes when the did pass with guys who could get home.  Holds the key for next season, Inproved ILB play and CB play.

27 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

After a year like this I don't think the thought of tougher competition in a couple years is going to get on the fence people or first time season ticket holders excited. 

Maybe not but the names of the opponents will help.  

32 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, on offense, the backup quarterback situation was a disaster with Brad Heidlebaugh. He can't play DI. That has been well discussed on this forum. 

I feel the backup linebacker situation was not good, with Rastas and Nevermann being incapable at this level this year. Also having Disterhaupt play inside was not ideal at all - he's an outside player and his playing inside was bad. Murray and Grier were ghosts.

Tyus Carter and Blubaugh were not DI caliber at corner this year. They were lost and panicked on deep balls consistently. 

Ty Shannon wasn't horrible at safety, but he was out there too early. The other players I've mentioned, though, weren't showing skill in addition to being uncomfortable. 

All in all, the QB, LB, and Secondary depth issues were significant. The QB issue is largely where the Paul Rudolph dismissal topic caught momentum. I am of the opinion that he shouldn't be QB coach; his offense is not QB friendly at all. In fact, it's horrible. Ask any former college or pro QB who was worth a damn: the worst coaching is run, run, and now pass on 3rd and 8. Defense always knows what's coming and will make you look horrible. 

You named two walk ons, a couple true freshman (that shouldn’t have played) and a kid that has lacked confidence since he’s been here.  

The Zimmerman situation I don’t get.  It was clear last year that Brad wasn’t a QB.  I don’t even think our starter was truely D1 caliber   Think we are better at that position next season   

You posted earlier about things being screwed up before he season started.  On defense, I’d agree.  That happened when O’Brien was forced to hang it up and guys had to get shuffled around.  #21 (a walk on) is a better safety than OLB and #48 is a better OLB than ILB.  Preseason injuries fucked our defense.  Blame injuries, blame recruiting but no team could withstand playing 9 games in a season with #4 & #5 on their depth chart at the second most important position on D.   That defense with those same guys though did play pretty well against EWU   

Recruiting a true freshman won’t help depth this year either.  Can’t afford a swing and miss on a JUCO at MLB or CB this year if that’s the route they go.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I ran the Pistol Wing-T to a great degree of success with the Air Force Academy on NCAA Football 2014.  Due to the Ed O'Bannon case, my schedule has increased flexibility, and I would like to explore a consulting opportunity to employ this philosophy with Brady, JJ, and Santiago in the same backfield.  PM me for further inquiry.  ;)

1 hour ago, homer said:

You named two walk ons, a couple true freshman (that shouldn’t have played) and a kid that has lacked confidence since he’s been here.  

The Zimmerman situation I don’t get.  It was clear last year that Brad wasn’t a QB.  I don’t even think our starter was truely D1 caliber   Think we are better at that position next season   

You posted earlier about things being screwed up before he season started.  On defense, I’d agree.  That happened when O’Brien was forced to hang it up and guys had to get shuffled around.  #21 (a walk on) is a better safety than OLB and #48 is a better OLB than ILB.  Preseason injuries fucked our defense.  Blame injuries, blame recruiting but no team could withstand playing 9 games in a season with #4 & #5 on their depth chart at the second most important position on D.   That defense with those same guys though did play pretty well against EWU   

Recruiting a true freshman won’t help depth this year either.  Can’t afford a swing and miss on a JUCO at MLB or CB this year if that’s the route they go.  

What hurts is losing John Chenal to a walk on with the Badgers.  Even though he'd only be a true freshman next year, based on what I've seen of him he could have made a difference next year at MLB - similar to the difference that I think Noah Larson could have made this year. 

You're absolutely correct that we can't really afford to swing and miss from the JUCO ranks like with Dijon Murray.  There was one that I thought would be a great fit, but he's starting to get offers from some of the bigger boys now, so not sure if he's a possibility or not.  

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

I ran the Pistol Wing-T to a great degree of success with the Air Force Academy on NCAA Football 2014.  Due to the Ed O'Bannon case, my schedule has increased flexibility, and I would like to explore a consulting opportunity to employ this philosophy with Brady, JJ, and Santiago in the same backfield.  PM me for further inquiry.  

Our five best offensive weapons are 5, 11, 22, 31, and 33.
No fewer than three of them should be on the offensive field at any one time. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Our five best offensive weapons are 5, 11, 22, 31, and 33.
No fewer than three of them should be on the offensive field at any one time. 

Thank you! How frickin difficult is it for an "actual" coach to recognize this should be the case every offensive snap? Obviously not Bubba and/or Rudolph........

I've made my position clear on Rudolph over the past season or two. Not a fan. Everyone in the stadium and on Twitter knows what play is coming next. There is a lack of creativity and a lack of utilizing his best weapons.

I think calling for Bubba to be fired after one bad, injury riddled season, is ridiculous. Though my thoughts on Rudy, have more to do with the type of game he calls. He kept plenty of talented players to be more efficient than he was.

At this point, if Bubba wants to keep Rudy, he better be prepared to take the hit if Rudy cannot take a big step forward next fall. This was Bubba's chance to take the offense in a different direction. From here on out, if Rudolph goes, I think Bubba needs to be held accountable as well. Same with Kostich.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Irish said:

I don't think anyone was praising Rudolph.  His total lack of creativity and feel for the game is unbelievable.  He keeps no defense off balance ever.  Many here are totally frustrated that Bubba won't make any changes in this area.  I've said this before, but it is a joke in my section that everyone can call his next play with about 80% accuracy (sometimes more) - people even had bets on it.  Bubba has shown that he stubbornly refuses to change anything.  That's the frustration.

How is no one holding the defense accountable for giving up 40+ points a game? You all complain that Bubba is "too loyal" to his offensive coaches, but mention nothing about the defensive coaches! Bunch of one-sided talk.

2 minutes ago, Sioux_Alum1998 said:

How is no one holding the defense accountable for giving up 40+ points a game? You all complain that Bubba is "too loyal" to his offensive coaches, but mention nothing about the defensive coaches! Bunch of one-sided talk.

I don't think anyone is saying the defense shouldn't be accountable, but that was where the bulk of the injuries seemed to be. Safety, Corner, LB. Hard to stop anyone when you are that thin.

That being said, I do think there needs to be more accountability in our recruiting at LB. Too many undersized converted safeties.