SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, shep said:

So if he gets fired, where do you see the program? How many of Ott, Larson and others leave for other places? How many of the recruits who verballed are gone? How long before the next guy gets us to where we were last year and likely would have gotten without all the injuries?

I agree with your reasoning, a new coach and staff would likely set us back a year or two.  The problem is do we really know where we are at right now?  I am worried that some of the guys we need in the future may leave because things are such a mess internally.  Bubba needs to clean house this week, reiterate the expectations and then get back to winning football games.  i think the potential is there to rebound in a big way, but only if there is crystal clear focus.

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree with your reasoning, a new coach and staff would likely set us back a year or two.  The problem is do we really know where we are at right now?  I am worried that some of the guys we need in the future may leave because things are such a mess internally.  Bubba needs to clean house this week, reiterate the expectations and then get back to winning football games.  i think the potential is there to rebound in a big way, but only if there is crystal clear focus.

Hoping for a Notre Dame like rebound next year. That happened because Brian Kelly shook up his coaching staff quite a bit. Obviously Bubba won’t do that though 

2 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Hoping for a Notre Dame like rebound next year. That happened because Brian Kelly shook up his coaching staff quite a bit. Obviously Bubba won’t do that though 

He did. But he also changed his own ways too. Yes, a rebound IS necessary and I believe it will happen.

3 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

I would have been surprised if when asked the question today, he said yes I am going to replace coaches soon.   With all the other !@#$ going on right now, the staff needs to solidify commitments, get a few more guys they want and make sure they don't lose any of the current players  and red-shirts they want to keep around.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would have been surprised if when asked the question today, he said yes I am going to replace coaches soon.   With all the other !@#$ going on right now, the staff needs to solidify commitments, get a few more guys they want and make sure they don't lose any of the current players they want to keep around.

Yes, firing coaches definitely would hurt recruiting

14 minutes ago, shep said:

He did. But he also changed his own ways too. Yes, a rebound IS necessary and I believe it will happen.

Based on what - what has Bubba and staff shown us this year about flexibility, adjustments, and game management?  One of the worst coaching years I have seen (injuries aside)

12 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Yes, firing coaches definitely would hurt recruiting

True, but if they aren't the right coaches you are just pushing it off until the next year, and if you have an upswing not related to said coach, you could end up losing a higher caliber recruit.

5 hours ago, UND Dood said:

Bubba's press conference today, "No staff changes"

I wasn't looking for a head coach with pom poms like PJ Fleck but atleast would like to hear that adjustments will be made, even if we are not going to broadcast publicly what they are.  Was looking for a glimmer, didn't get one.  Perception is a slippery slope and the perception right now is nothing changes.  However, that simply cannot be an option or it is career suicide for many.  So, I am guessing some changes will be made with staff, a few or quite a few players, we will dip back into the juco market hard at LB, safety, and corner, and for the staff this off season, time to review our in game and in season strategies and philosophy.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I wasn't looking for a head coach with pom poms like PJ Fleck but atleast would like to hear that adjustments will be made, even if we are not going to broadcast publicly what they are.  Was looking for a glimmer, didn't get one.  Perception is a slippery slope and the perception right now is nothing changes.  However, that simply cannot be an option or it is career suicide for many.  So, I am guessing some changes will be made with staff, a few or quite a few players, we will dip back into the juco market hard at LB, safety, and corner, and for the staff this off season, time to review our in game and in season strategies and philosophy.

I'm not sure what time to review our game and in season strategies and philosophy will accomplish as Bubba and company have shown an ultra stubborn resistance to any changes as evidenced by the total lack of adjustments and game management during the season.  Does anyone think an off season of thinking will help Rudolph improve?  I sure don't.  

19 minutes ago, Irish said:

I'm not sure what time to review our game and in season strategies and philosophy will accomplish as Bubba and company have shown an ultra stubborn resistance to any changes as evidenced by the total lack of adjustments and game management during the season.  Does anyone think an off season of thinking will help Rudolph improve?  I sure don't.  

Bubba and Rudy are not the entire staff.  To me, all things are on the table to at least review.  I could be way off, too, but just my 2 cents.

Very disappointing but not unexpected.  We've witnessed 4 years of the most predictable offense in D1 football.  '15 and '16 were successful years thanks to the defense and in spite of the offensive game plan.  '17 proved that you can dominate time of possession and still get your ass kicked.  Above average is the ceiling as long as Rudolph is here.  

Here's to being content with maybe making the playoffs every once and awhile.  yay.   go team. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tnt said:

So how many people will renew their season tickets that got them for the first time this year? I know a guy and his wife from work that just got them this year isn't going to renew.  Can't blame him when you can predict the play calling.

I actually think season ticket sales will be up again next year.  

9 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

A walk on and Frosh Inside Backers, Harris out for the year, Holm out a lot.  Reyes out completely by game 4?  4 first year starters on the O line most of the year.....  True Freshmen at corner who save for injuries would be red shirted?  I don't know a lot about UND football but I do know that 4 out of 5 teams in that position at the FCS  level would not have the depth to overcome it.  And don't think for one minute the recruits you want to bring in are not READING THESE BLOGS.  They google everything.  Bubba on the hot seat, fire THEIR recruiting coordinator = maybe I will go some place closer to home, not as cold, to a coach that has been with the program longer.  Just think about it - very few comments are helping your own cause.

:lol:  Great points indeed.  We should probably heed the advice of  folks currently posting on Texas A&M, Nebraska, and Arkansas football message boards and just remain calm and not make any knee-jerk decisions based on an entire season's body of work.  

Let's not can an offensive coordinator out of fear of losing a potential third-stringer to Northern Michigan or Mayville State!

Offensive ranks under Rudolph out of 123 FCS teams

Total Offense per game    Points per game

2017: 52nd 386.1         59th 25.2    (rankings will change as season isn't done)

2016: 53rd 386.2          37th 29.6

2015: 62nd 379.5         53rd 28.1

2014: 115th 254.3        109th 15.9

Last year with Muss:

2013: 66th 365.1         75th 23.8

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Offensive ranks under Rudolph out of 123 FCS teams

Total Offense per game    Points per game

2017: 52nd 386.1         59th 25.2    (rankings will change as season isn't done)

2016: 53rd 386.2          37th 29.6

2015: 62nd 379.5         53rd 28.1

2014: 115th 254.3        109th 15.9

Last year with Muss:

2013: 66th 365.1         75th 23.8

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs

Thank you for this. Sometimes numbers do not support perceptions. I thought Muss had a high flying pass all the time O here. 

And a throwing QB next year could make 50 yards per game diff on his own. Also, our receivers have very little YAC and that could change next year too IF the QB leads the WR and the WR has more speed like McKinney Greibel .

9 minutes ago, shep said:

Thank you for this. Sometimes numbers do not support perceptions. I thought Muss had a high flying pass all the time O here. 

And a throwing QB next year could make 50 yards per game diff on his own. Also, our receivers have very little YAC and that could change next year too IF the QB leads the WR and the WR has more speed like McKinney Greibel .

2012: 23rd 430.45 (total offense per game)    18th 33.55 (scoring offense per game) on the flip side we were 115 in total defense that year

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2012&org=494

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tnt said:

So how many people will renew their season tickets that got them for the first time this year? I know a guy and his wife from work that just got them this year isn't going to renew.  Can't blame him when you can predict the play calling.

I'm in the same boat. Prior to this season, I was asked by a few couples if getting season tickets was worth it. Expecting a top 10 season as UND had the highest preseason expectations since being a DI program, I gave them my spiel and they all bought. Now I look like a chump to them. They won't renew and probably won't ever listen to me either. 

Good job UND football - 

10 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Go to any team's message board after a 3-8 season. If that team has fans, they're not happy.

The more worrisome problem would be no one voicing any concerns. 

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'm in the same boat. Prior to this season, I was asked by a few couples if getting season tickets was worth it. Expecting a top 10 season as UND had the highest preseason expectations since being a DI program, I gave them my spiel and they all bought. Now I look like a chump to them. They won't renew and probably won't ever listen to me either. 

Good job UND football - 

If you jumped off the south Cat walk of the Alerus would they jump too?  Still think when it’s almsaid and done season tickets are up next year.