SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD wish list

gfhockey

43 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Question does the new AD need to have a North Dakota connection? What if the best candidate has never even been to the state before the hiring process? Do we want a financial person, a sports person, a fundraising person...etc? 

As fans, what is the top on our wish list? What are we willing to overlook?

Michigan hired a former Ohio St assistant and he turned everything around for them and has since been the measuring stick for all Michigan coaches. Sometimes it’s a good thing to go outside the family.

6 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Lennon doesn’t haven’t any connections. Scratch him off

he burnt his bridge here

Are you drunk again?   He didn't burn any bridges.  He is a viable candidate. Josh Morton is another viable candidate.  Purpur would be, but I don't think he is interested. Rob Bollinger would be another.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Purpur is a gf native and lots mor expierence playing with the big boys 

Sadly, since he’s local he probably won’t even get any consideration. UND thinks it has to go outside the state fo any sort of senior level positions.

• Upvote 1

The parallels between Engelstad and getting a new AD with Roger Thomas before the REA are striking.  Engelstad didn't want Wanless so the UND admin obliged and got a new AD before the REA was gifted.

Not saying that Faison was anything but a natural retirement, but an AD heir apparent is at a P5 school where the prospective donor had a son as a football player at the school and maybe found a way to install his future UND AD candidate as assistant AD there with some spare change.  The timing fits nicely with the conference change coming up.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The parallels between Engelstad and getting a new AD with Roger Thomas before the REA are striking.  Engelstad didn't want Wanless so the UND admin obliged and got a new AD before the REA was gifted.

Not saying that Faison was anything but a natural retirement, but an AD heir apparent is at a P5 school where the prospective donor had a son as a football player at the school and maybe found a way to install his future UND AD candidate as assistant AD there with some spare change.  The timing fits nicely with the conference change coming up.

Huh?

2 hours ago, hky said:

Huh?

Any  talk about a new football stadium, about going FBS, about the Montanas and Idaho and EWU  in the Summit is cut off by certain posters because they don't believe that UND can and will be so blessed.  They  are joined by bison trolls in their hate and disbelief fest.

Faison did some of the work needed to get ready, like cut WIH, swimming, and basebàll.

We have a football alum that has  more financial success than Ralph, has said he was going to give eight years ago, but nothing discernable yet.  It's coming.

He'll want a young AD that he influenced and help groom, so he gets direct answers from the man with responsibiilty.  

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Are you drunk again?   He didn't burn any bridges.  He is a viable candidate. Josh Morton is another viable candidate.  Purpur would be, but I don't think he is interested. Rob Bollinger would be another.  

Yes I'm sure he is.  I like all of the names you mentioned.  I wonder if Rob would be interested or if he is semi-retired.  He would be great.

The Heraldo discusses some possible AD candidates:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4345162-national-search-underway-next-und-ad

Possible candidates include Ray Purpur, the deputy director of athletics at Stanford who grew up in Grand Forks; Josh Morton, a former UND football player and fundraiser who currently is an assistant athletic director at Michigan State; Dale Lennon, UND's winningest football coach in school history who now is the athletic director at the University of Mary; Jody Hodgson, the general manager at Ralph Engelstad Arena; and Josh Fenton, the commissioner of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference who is a former assistant athletic director at Miami of Ohio.

Another name that has surfaced is Dave St. Peter, the president of the Minnesota Twins. St. Peter, who was raised in Bismarck, is a UND graduate.

One name on this list that raises a red flag with me is Jody Hodgson. I am afraid we would go back to a hockey-only mentality with Hodgson in charge of the Athletic Department. Which is what some (special emphasis on some) people around here want.

I don't know if Dave St. Peter knows enough about intercollegiate athletics. His management experience is a plus, however.

I think the best choices on the above list are Josh Morton, Dale Lennon and Josh Fenton.

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Siouxper Kev said:

Some dude named Hakstol ??

I hope not.  He clearly didn't have the athletic department's best interest in mind when he encouraged fans to get the state legislature involved with the Fighting Sioux nickname.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Is Fenton a long shot?   I would be extremely happy with him.  He is young, smart, personable, and has done an amazing job with the NCHC after the league stumbled out of the gates.  He also has relevant experience from his time at Miami.  He has my vote.  Anyone know how much he currently makes?

Other than him, I'm not really interested in anyone that has ties to the university.  North Dakotan's don't tend to be good idea people, imo.

• Downvote 5

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Is Fenton a long shot?   I would be extremely happy with him.  He is young, smart, personable, and has done an amazing job with the NCHC after the league stumbled out of the gates.  He also has relevant experience from his time at Miami.  He has my vote.  Anyone know how much he currently makes?

Other than him, I'm not really interested in anyone that has ties to the university.  North Dakotan's don't tend to be good idea people, imo.

Don't agree at all; that would reinforce the status quo and reject much needed growth. 

• Upvote 1

Doubt we get a hockey guy.  We have maxed out what we can get from hockey, and if Kennedy wants to grow the University, he will pick someone who can lead the FB and BB programs to the next level, not necessarily FBS, but at the least solid growth in FCS

• Like 2

So Morton will be the new AD and this billionaire donor, who is going to influence UND to hiring Morton, is going to build UND a FBS sized stadium according to SiouxVolley. I’m getting my chair and popcorn ready for this plan. I’m still waiting since last season for this new stadium plan to be announced.   

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, cberkas said:

So Morton will be the new AD and this billionaire donor, who is going to influence UND to hiring Morton, is going to build UND a FBS sized stadium according to SiouxVolley. I’m getting my chair and popcorn ready for this plan. I’m still waiting since last season for this new stadium plan to be announced.   

This is one time I hope he is dead on. If so he can post as many crazy conspiracy theories as he wants.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Just pray that bison fans and trolls don't go through a round of aneurysms, convulsions, and widespread depression when all that comes down.

But it would be rather ironic for the son of a former bizon coach to lead UND athletics to the Promised Land.  We will dominate NDSU in recruiting.

But I confess that I was wrong on the timing as didn't forsee the Summit going FBS when IPFW leaves and didn't forsee the new stadium going up at Ray Richards, which is why Kennedy shut it down.  Have to wait for Idaho's President to pipe in about they will move to save it with the Montanas if we all go FBS when the Summit is in absolute turmoil with the loss of IPFW.  The FBS move will be conveniently laid at the feet of Idaho's President and their fans will rejoice rather than lynch him.

For all the newspaper talk that Faison was forced out at Kennedy's insistence, Faison isn't the least bit distraught and seems rather happy.  A man waiting until 67 to retire is out of the ordinary but that's strangely not talked about in the press.  Faison laid the Foundation with some tough tasks that shouldn't go to a new AD and that seems to be faulted to Faison in the Press,  when it was Kennedy that wanted those tasks done.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sioux95 said:

Doubt we get a hockey guy.  We have maxed out what we can get from hockey, and if Kennedy wants to grow the University, he will pick someone who can lead the FB and BB programs to the next level, not necessarily FBS, but at the least solid growth in FCS

And why can't Fenton do that?  AD is a management/fundraising position.  Period.  Fenton is a smart guy that gets !@#$ done.  And his background does include more than just hockey.

FYI, Faison had no hockey experience prior to arriving at UND, and that didn't have any affect on the trajectory of the program.

• Upvote 1