SiouxSports.com Forum

October 2017 Announcement

lawkota

37 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Heard about the retirement yesterday, age being the main factor here. Leaving under a lot of challenges taken care of or put to sleep.

Also in the talk, Faison was not in favor of us with the B1Ghockey after Notre Dame joined, maybe because he was so instrumental in the developing the NCHC. What would of happened then if there were talks and Kennedy was part of the equation? Now, if no other teams in the B1G want to start hockey, this could be energised by the MNs and Wisconsins, and then the B1G contacts UND? Kennedy might like it, without having Faison along side of him saying no way?

MN craves the rivalry games with UND, & vise versa. The 2 games in MN last year were a home run for MN. The 2 games this weekend will be the same for UND. $100 $200 tickets, who would of taught that a couple years ago? Biggest games in Cawledge Hawkey!

See U @ D Ralph Fri & Sat vs goofs.

With the Midco deal UND would get no BTN money. 

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Maybe, Notre Dame doesn't get any BTN money. They televise their own home games. But a BTN share could work for UND and the B1Ghockey teams.

John Hopkins doesn't get any BTN money either.

Main reason Notre Dame and John Hopkins have TV deals already. UND have nothing to leverage joining the B1G for hockey. 

I know we're starting to derail this thread, so I'll make it short. The 7 teams that play B1G hockey now might like to see the games on the BTN when their team would play at The Ralph. That would be a sizable viewing audience adding in other teams and UND fans, allowing for some concessions to UND.

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I know we're starting to derail this thread, so I'll make it short. The 7 teams that play B1G hockey now might like to see the games on the BTN when their team would play at The Ralph. That would be a sizable viewing audience adding in other team and UND fans, allowing for some concessions.

The B1G didn't even announce game at Notre Dame as part of their conference broadcasts that are on NBCSN, and Notre Dame home games are not on BTN either. The B1G has two arenas that are bigger then the Ralph and can't fill them when football rivals play each other.

19 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Maybe,  and we know that Notre Dame doesn't get any BTN money. They have their own home games televised. But a BTN share could work for UND and the B1Ghockey teams.

You have to be a full member in all sports to get a share of BTN money. Obviously the new AD would negotiate this for UND if they were even thinking about joining the B10. 

16 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The B1G didn't even announce game at Notre Dame as part of their conference broadcasts that are on NBCSN, and Notre Dame home games are not on BTN either. The B1G has two arenas that are bigger then the Ralph and can't fill them when football rivals play each other.

Your 1st. sentence, with Notre Dame home team televises the games. With us the BTN could televise at The Ralph also. I don't consider the attendance at their U's an issue at this point for us (certainly for them), what would be important is how many fans are willing to to watch the UND games if on BTN? This could work, we would even have a lot of our own fans contribute to the viewing numbers by watching the home games at the B1G6 teams. We have a lot of faithful fans in MN, Wis, Iowa. 

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

None whatsoever.  It was a done deal before Faison got here and it was a done deal before Kelly got here.  We wasted a lot of Kelly's time kicking the proverbial dead horse.

Kelley was marginally above worthless and incompetent for the position he was hired for at UND. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

never thought of that...

kennedy wants big10 hockey

faison started nchc

faison will bring in someone that is pro big10 hockey affilation...

Probably should have left it that way. 

We are in a whole lot of trouble if that is somehow something that is considered as a qualification let alone requirement. 

I talked to him at a UND pregame alumni party several years ago during the height of the naming transition.  I think he handled it about as well as he could, considering there were 10 guys standing around him asking pointed questions.  I kind of partially blamed him for the loss of the name at the time, but looking back at it, there would have had to be a higher power than him to get anything done with either the Tribe or the NCAA.  Kelley had no desire to get involved in that fray and didn't have the skills to do anything about it anyway.  Faison has accomplished alot during a very troubled time and I wish him nothing but the best in retirement.  If the next guy does as well as him, we will be in good shape.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I would respectfully disagree.  Maybe a handful of people claimed they wouldn't  support UND because of these guys.  Blaming stuff on Mussman has gotten a bit old.   I'm not defending him as a coach, but he wasn't given the resources to transition to the FCS level.  He has been the whipping boy on this board for way too long.  The guy is long gone. Faison's job wasn't to raise funds.  He had a number of issues to deal with including a financial mess.  The athletic department was also in a transition to FCS and was not given the resources to make that happen as quickly as we might have.  Faison was not charismatic and certainly people who felt they were important to UND athletics never seemed to get the schmoozing they wanted from him.  I was disappointed in his lack of interaction with fans and boosters.  He did some good things in difficult times.  I liked him better than Bunning.  He had nothing to do with the Fighting Sioux issue. 

None whatsoever.  It was a done deal before Faison got here and it was a done deal before Kelly got here.  We wasted a lot of Kelly's time kicking the proverbial dead horse.

Your statement "Faison was not charismatic and certainly people who felt they were important to UND athletics never seemed to get the schmoozing they wanted from him.  I was disappointed in his lack of interaction with fans and boosters." is exactly in-line with my thoughts as well as others I have spoke to.

This lack of interaction is exactly why I stated earlier there's untapped potential. The Grand Forks region and UND alumni base has not been entirely tapped into, and given UND's financial demands due to modern DI standards, this is important for UND athletics.  

47 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I know a couple of head coaches that were under BF's leadership.......neither was a big fan of his.

Obviously not nearly as bad as it was under Bunning and Wanless.  I have a feeling just like in any business, the subordinates all have some issues with their boss, whether they express them or not.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Obviously not nearly as bad as it was under Bunning and Wanless.  I have a feeling just like in any business, the subordinates all have some issues with their boss, whether they express them or not.  

I would not put a head coach of a D1 athletic program in terms of your typical "subordinate".  I think that lumping these 2 into the same bucket as the greeters and stockers at Wal-Mart is a pretty big generalization.