SiouxSports.com Forum

Mark J Lindquist - Anthem Singer

Fetch

14 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Ok, not I get it.  So as long as a Vet that is also a Sioux fan thinks it is ok, than there are no issues.

:silly:

You're the one who brought seats for soldiers into the equation.  They are just saying that some of those same soldiers don't have a problem with it.

Just now, bigskyvikes said:

Wow, now I get it, your way or nothing!

Not at all I just thought it was funny the posts claiming that their Sioux Fan Father, Grand Fathers etc. says it is ok so there are no issues.  I stated my opinion.   I'm guessing if you asked Vet's from other fan bases or non sports fan's you would get a mix.  Some would say I fight for the right for Americans for be free and express themselves however they please.  You would also have some that would feel disrespected.     You have the right to your opinion and I'm not going to be able to change it.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

You missed the point........I believe it was the blanket holding thumb sucking "I'm offended by my own shadow" crowd makes up issues on every front. You in that bucket???

Anti-country, anti-police, anti-anthem is in no way comparable to yelling "Sioux". 

Just keep wearing your Kaepernick jersey the next time you approach a veteran.......don't forget to wear your "Pigs" socks too.

Huh, this doesn't even make since.  I'm pretty sure someone against yelling during the national anthem is against what Kaepernick started..

I would love to see him in a packer uniform, too bad he is suing the NFL.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Different how? 

Just because you have the right to do something does mean it is the right thing to do.  I have never paid attention to the solders in those seats to see if they yell Sioux at the end of the anthem.  Not sure it really matters.  

The examples given I don't think were from the solders that are in the seats.  

There is so much division in this country and the one thing everyone it this country should be able to agree upon is they are lucky to be living in this country and should show the flag/anthem the proper respect.  

44 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Just because you have the right to do something does mean it is the right thing to do.  I have never paid attention to the solders in those seats to see if they yell Sioux at the end of the anthem.  Not sure it really matters.  

The examples given I don't think were from the solders that are in the seats.  

There is so much division in this country and the one thing everyone it this country should be able to agree upon is they are lucky to be living in this country and should show the flag/anthem the proper respect.  

Exactly what you started here...

Remember how upset we all were when they said.."if the Sioux nickname offends one person we should change the name" pretty much the same thing you are supporting with this argument isn't it?

Goofy stuff.

Also it's soldiers not solders. Show some....

... nevermind. ;)

Mark Lindquist is the best anthem singer in college hockey and we are lucky to have him.  His style encourages the crowd to join in and the students love him.  It would be cool to be known as the school where 12,000+ sing along.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I think John Johnson is on ss.com!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4344110-letter-lets-be-respectful-have-fun-fans

This just had to get sent in to the herald didn't it!

My God!

So that's a "no" for John Johnson....wonder what Andy Anderson or Will Williamson or Steve Stevenson think of all this. ;)

37 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I think John Johnson is on ss.com!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4344110-letter-lets-be-respectful-have-fun-fans

This just had to get sent in to the herald didn't it!

My God!

The University of Illinois Illini..... were able to reach agreement with their Native American constituencies for retention.

Source?

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Like most news outlets both local and national "sources" on any published "fact" is completely optional. 

Well I can't blame the Herald for what somebody put in their letter to the editor, but my recollection is Illinois avoided the whole "Native American approval" process by saying Illini referred to all people of Illinois.  Anybody know if they got Native American approval for the name?

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Well I can't blame the Herald for what somebody put in their letter to the editor, but my recollection is Illinois avoided the whole "Native American approval" process by saying Illini referred to all people of Illinois.  Anybody know if they got Native American approval for the name?

I don't think they did.  In my recollection, they retired all Native American imagery and retained the Illini name as a person living in Illinois.

16 hours ago, Big Green said:

Not at all I just thought it was funny the posts claiming that their Sioux Fan Father, Grand Fathers etc. says it is ok so there are no issues.  I stated my opinion.   I'm guessing if you asked Vet's from other fan bases or non sports fan's you would get a mix.  Some would say I fight for the right for Americans for be free and express themselves however they please.  You would also have some that would feel disrespected.     You have the right to your opinion and I'm not going to be able to change it.

Good Luck finding someone honestly disrespected by someone standing for the anthem, facing the flag with hand on heart and yelling Sioux.  You honestly don't see a difference in intent here?  I love my country and my university.  What better way to honor both.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

Leo Welsh, was he that big blonde haired guy or dirty blood that kinda had an opera voice

He sang Oh, Canada at the MLB All-star game a couple years ago. Just like Mark though, he sings it straight, doesn't drag it out, doesn't try mess with it, just nails it 40 times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBWWwhVCQ4&feature=youtu.be

So topic starts off honoring a great performer … then Big Green decides since it’s his right to proclaim “Sioux” as disrespectful and very embarrassing…on a SIOUXSPORTS website. Then the argument ensues(which is what he wanted by the preceding comment “Prepare to rip me”)   of those that feel it is respect and tradition and the others that feel in some way it takes away from our national Anthem.

While this is just one single thread on a local message board, I feel it in itself is a microcosm of what is going on in the world today, echoed by some of the examples brought up in this topic. Feelers now-a-days are extremely too touchy with the outlet of digital and social media eveyone’s opinion is out there for everyone to see…this in itself isn’t so much a bad thing the problem is when you cross the line of presenting your opinion for feedback and forcing your opinion upon the rest of the audience.  

I yell SIOUX at the end of the anthem…if the guy next to me does not…I don’t care, why should I care I am not doing it for attention or self-promotion…everyone has a choice, your choice does not make my choice any more or less worthy than yours

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, yelo09 said:

So topic starts off honoring a great performer … then Big Green decides since it’s his right to proclaim “Sioux” as disrespectful and very embarrassing…on a SIOUXSPORTS website. Then the argument ensues(which is what he wanted by the preceding comment “Prepare to rip me”)   of those that feel it is respect and tradition and the others that feel in some way it takes away from our national Anthem.

While this is just one single thread on a local message board, I feel it in itself is a microcosm of what is going on in the world today, echoed by some of the examples brought up in this topic. Feelers now-a-days are extremely too touchy with the outlet of digital and social media eveyone’s opinion is out there for everyone to see…this in itself isn’t so much a bad thing the problem is when you cross the line of presenting your opinion for feedback and forcing your opinion upon the rest of the audience.  

I yell SIOUX at the end of the anthem…if the guy next to me does not…I don’t care, why should I care I am not doing it for attention or self-promotion…everyone has a choice, your choice does not make my choice any more or less worthy than yours

So you would have preferred a separate thread for this discussion so people could have avoided it if they so chose?  That would be fair.

18 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I served. I yell SIOUX. Forever will, sometimes by habit at non UND events.

Kneeling is an intent to disrespect, They have that right, and I have the right to think less of them and refuse to support.

If you are embarrassed by the SIOUX, kindly PM and I will provide an address for you to send me your tickets, so that you be not subjected to such embarrassing situations.   

AND HURRY! This weekend will be VERY embarrassing for you, get rid of those tickets right meow!

(In general) Kneeling is not an intent to disrespect, the large majority of them are not protesting the anthem or the flag and have repeatedly stated that. We could have a discussion about why they should or shouldn't kneel, but it is disingenuous when people project their own reasoning onto protestors actions. It is actually commandeering their protest for one's own means, which subjectively is just as disrespectful. 

Note: I don't think that you (Frozen) specifically have crossed that line but others have.

Personally, I think the linking arms or kneeling BEFORE the anthem were good compromises and attempts to get the point across without letting the "disrespect for the flag" narrative overshadow it . However, one could say that if your arms are linked then your hand is probably not over your heart. However, a good number of people didn't put their hand over their heart in the first place and it was never a problem. I do stand for the anthem when in person (I actually don't while watching TV and never really thought about that until recently) and I do yell Sioux . . . 

• Upvote 1