SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Da Griz

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

Bubba brings energy?  I like and respect Bubba but he always looks like he's in pain when the camera pans to him on the sideline.  I know there are quiet leaders, but I want to see a coach chest bumping his kids after a good play...talking junk to a ref in defense of his players; young kids love that stuff. When you see a coach dancing the locker room or leading the cheers after a big win, that's connecting with the players.  Bubba is always buttoned down and stoic.  Let your hair down sometimes, Bubba.

You obviously haven't seen Bubba lead the team in "Stand up and cheer" in the locker room after a W. I saw him talk lots to refs yesterday and you'd look like you were in pain if you were  the coach of a team that's playing guys who SHOULD NOT YET be playing college football games!

• Upvote 3

I agree, Zimmerman is the obvious choice if Studs is out next week, but I do have to wonder, was he playing against Montana's 2 and 3's rather than the starters like Heidelbaugh?   That clearly would inflate his numbers some.   I wasn't really paying attention to who Montana was playing in the second half.

1 minute ago, TRex said:

I agree, Zimmerman is the obvious choice if Studs is out next week, but I do have to wonder, was he playing against Montana's 2 and 3's rather than the starters like Heidelbaugh?   That clearly would inflate his numbers some.   I wasn't really paying attention to who Montana was playing in the second half.

Montana did not pull their starters at halftime. Nothing to ponder here.

You know what is funny, Montana fans are posting on FB how great they played yesterday and it's like they are now improving and on the cusp of greatness like the old days.  Really??  They were playing against a QB in the first half that can't throw, stacking the box and we couldn't do jack.  Nate Little sounding off on how Santiago has never done a thing against the Griz, apparently he forgot the 80 TD he had when we played there two years ago.  I mentioned the defense only really gave up 38 yesterday, but actually more like 35 because the offense handed Montana the ball in our red zone twice for two field goals.  I'll enjoy watching Montana lose a few games this year, and/or do nothing in the playoffs if they think their team is that great and have it all figured out. 

• Upvote 1

I hope Montana does well the rest of the way.

Think of it this way- In the 2nd half,  a 3rd string QB did pretty well. They kept burning a CB who either A. will not be a starter next year, or B. will have improved a helluva lot, and our D included a guy, Nevermann who is a RB along with a guy who may not see a ton of PT next year if the team is healthy (Rastas) along with O Linemen that will probably be bigger stronger next year.

In the 2nd half this was a decent game with THOSE guys. What will it be like next year with our real players back?

9 hours ago, Irish said:

I think this is a huge insight into the coaches weaknesses - a stubborn refusal to change or deal with anything that is even a bit outside of their philosophy.  This is turning into a dumpster fire.  I hope someone in the media has the guts to ask Bubba directly wtf is going on.

Agree with most of this.  Not sure we are at the dumpster fire level yet, but do see a program that doesn't appear to be able to adapt well.  Do you think if Montana or Eastern Washington had our offensive unit they wouldn't find more ways to get Santiago in space, or find a way to keep other teams from playing 9 in the box against us.  I like the run first mentality, but sometimes that isn't going to get the win.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The fact that there is such a disparity in talent between the #2 and #3 QBs but not acknowledged by this coaching staff is a microcosm of why this program is in complete disarray right now. If the average arm chair QB can see Zimm was clearly a better talent don't think for a second the rest of the players can't. Culture and locker room leadership is all but gone when crap like yesterday happens.

I'll second Gundy for OC........and I'm leaning towards him taking over the HC job instead.

I am puzzled, too.  Why do we play to keep it close instead of having a game plan that if we failed and lost, at least we went down swinging?  Why play "our" style of ball, and ignore the stacked talent at RB?  Final examination is every Saturday in college football, and 30,000 viewers just witnessed a turtle in it's shell face a decent, but not great Montana team.  Regardless of home towns, years on the team, even GPA, performance and leadership on the field needs to decide playing time.  Each scholarship should be an annual commitment that can go up to full, down to zero, or remain the same based on productive value to the team.  You can have a program based on performance while still caring and being passionate about the well being of the players, coaching staff, and University. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

Bubba brings energy?  I like and respect Bubba but he always looks like he's in pain when the camera pans to him on the sideline.  I know there are quiet leaders, but I want to see a coach chest bumping his kids after a good play...talking junk to a ref in defense of his players; young kids love that stuff. When you see a coach dancing the locker room or leading the cheers after a big win, that's connecting with the players.  Bubba is always buttoned down and stoic.  Let your hair down sometimes, Bubba.

This post makes you seem like maybe you are not the "Old School Guy"

5 hours ago, shep said:

What will it be like next year with our real players back?

I don' care for you referencing our backups this way.  They've shown that they can't take us to the promised land but next year they'll be more experienced and I'd expect a little more physical.  As for this year,  they have busted their ass trying but they just don't have it yet.  Most weren't supposed to see the field much this year

51 minutes ago, BigGame said:

This post makes you seem like maybe you are not the "Old School Guy"

Yes, I can assure you the old school moniker fits me accurately (old school mentality and age (sadly).  But I also feel just like in business, you gotta be willing to step out of your comfort zone and try different ways to motivate. Not saying Bubba can't motivate, but nothing wrong with pushing some different buttons.

11 hours ago, shep said:

You obviously haven't seen Bubba lead the team in "Stand up and cheer" in the locker room after a W. I saw him talk lots to refs yesterday and you'd look like you were in pain if you were  the coach of a team that's playing guys who SHOULD NOT YET be playing college football games!

You are correct I've  never seen Bubba, in person, in the locker room following a W.

9 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Santa, "Rudolph won't You Guide My Sleigh Tonight?"

Rudolph, "All the other Reindeer would laugh and call me names."

I guess Santa interviewed him over the weekend but declined to hire him since he refuses to go to the air until toy delivery is way behind.  

• Upvote 3