SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Football Strength & Conditioning

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

In addition to strength and conditioning.  UND needs to find the $$$ for a nutrition program. Many D1 schools provide protein shakes, and other food in the athletic facility year round for their players to attain and maintain weight. Also, a point to note is, UND requires and pressures kids to stay in town for most of the summer. I say let the kids go home, get some home cooking in them and set measurable strength and conditioning goals that they will be tested on in July when they return. Many kids stay in town working full-time jobs just to pay rent which doesn't give them much time to workout and develop their bodies.

NDSU basically has their entire team in town all summer long. They make it work.

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Beings this year is a lost year ....I looked who the potential starting 11 will be defensively next year. 

3 DL 

austin- 6'4" 300 sen

tank- 6'3" 300 sen

mason 6'4" 245 jun

LB

Jade 6'2" 215 jun

donnell 6'1" 235 jun

noah 6'2" 235 fresh 

haas. 6'5"  230 soph 

CB 

deion 6'3" 200 sen 

evan 5'11" 180 jun or Torrey 6'1" 185 jun 

tamas 6'0 200 sen 

Ty 6'2" 195 soph 

If half of those can remain healthy there is meat and experience. The young guys got plenty of playing time this year, which should bode well for next year  

2nd stringers 

DL

zeke 6'3" 240 fresh 

seguin 6'3" 275 fresh or greer 6'2" 290 sen 

carter 6'3" 235 jun 

LB

tanner 6'1 225 sen

cam 6'1" 225 soph

jake 6'2" 220 ( hoping) soph 

Jaxson 6'2" 215 soph 

CB

blubaugh 6'0" 190 soph 

either Torrey or Evan 

canady 6'2" 200  soph 

? Vashon ? 5'11" 190 jun 

This group gets a little lighter. 

The one thing with unds defense is when they are fairly healthy they are constantly rotating.....not able to that this year.

Completely agree with your assessment of smash mouth.  I believe if you are only going to have 3-4 base.... the DEs should be at least 250 lbs and the nose should be at least 290.  Having a cupboard full of quick small LBs does not get it done with smash mouth.  Right before Donnell got hurt in the misery st game , I happened to be watching him.....he went right off the backside of tank to fill a gap.....he was met there by a pulling OL....Donnell lit him up!!!!  Nearly put him on his ass ....instead he just knocked him back 5-6 yards and made the tackle.  That's what they are missing this year.   Nobody left has the size and or attitude to make people move 

I agree with much of this.  Our defense will have speed, experience and youth.  Not many seniors in the two deep.  ILB situation is size and experience.  The game is too fast for the experienced guys to hot the hole.  By the time they meet the RB he is at full steam and runs them over or carries them a few yards.  The won't happen with Donnell, Larson or Cam next year.  This will make much easier on the DB's because 2nd and long plays to the DB's advantage and well and multiple rushers.

I'm much more concerned with our offense decision on personal and play calling.  yesterday with Zim's passing the offense opened up for the RB's.  The OL can't open holes with 8 in the box.

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Even though our guys are young, at certain positions I question the body types we have out there. Some of our DEs look like LBs. They need to add 20lbs minimum basically across the board. Our OLBs are a bunch of converted safeties with the exception of Haas and Lawrence. Even those guys could use a good 20 lbs. Haas has the frame to carry 250 no problem. ILBs are a little better with Rodgers, Larson, and Hunt. Rastas needs to add at least 30lbs. Our safeties are smallish as well. Again, 20 lbs for most of them. At corner the size of most of our guys is ok but they either need to get stronger or tougher. OLB and DE are the two biggest size concerns for me. 

If the DL and MLB's were bigger would we be okay with smaller, faster OLB's?

6 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

If the DL and MLB's were bigger would we be okay with smaller, faster OLB's?

If we were healthy at OLB we wouldn't be small. 230-240 is about right and that's where most of our top guys are. Rastas is the one that is really undersized. Being fast on the edge is fine but being too small is not. We shouldn't have a bunch of OLBs under 210lbs. 

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If we were healthy at OLB we wouldn't be small. 230-240 is about right and that's where most of our top guys are. Rastas is the one that is really undersized. Being fast on the edge is fine but being too small is not. We shouldn't have a bunch of OLBs under 210lbs. 

Of course for all sports they have ideal sizes for certain positions. Also their are players who are exceptions to the rule when it comes to this. Do we have any guys that might be the exception to the rules when it comes to certain measurable physical characteristics.

39 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Of course for all sports they have ideal sizes for certain positions. Also their are players who are exceptions to the rule when it comes to this. Do we have any guys that might be the exception to the rules when it comes to certain measurable physical characteristics.

Lawrence does pretty well at his size but it's tough for guys his size to hold up in the run game.