SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I fear we may have to win out to get in to the playoffs. I’m not kidding either. One loss to anyone and they’ll send us plummeting down the polls to exile.

Agree, we will have challenges getting into the playoffs, as an independent.

NCAA's 24 teams, 13 conference winners. That leaves 11 spots to a committe that loves to give favors, none of which would go our way. Win out baby!

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't see 8-3 as a guaranteed play-off spot anymore.  Looks like we need a computer to take out the dipsh-ts and bullsh-t!!  Without a conference......that is probably hurting us.

Although some in the Big Sky will benefit from UND higher in the polls, a team like E. Washington or UC Davis (teams we don't play) could care less.

The biggest loser in the poll......Sac State.  I don't think the team is very happy right now!!

Idaho State is getting shafted more than anyone, and that is really hurting us right now. 

The best poll has consistently been the Anygivensaturday poll, put together be the folks on the message board.  The commentary after their polls are published has some of the best FCS reading anywhere on the internet.  Many Bison fans disagree with us being unranked, by the way.

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Idaho State is getting shafted more than anyone, and that is really hurting us right now. 

The best poll has consistently been the Anygivensaturday poll, put together be the folks on the message board.  The commentary after their polls are published has some of the best FCS reading anywhere on the internet.  Many Bison fans disagree with us being unranked, by the way.

Yep.  Typically has been.  And, as you noted, the Bison fans that vote typically don't hold UND down because it's UND. They're fairly free of bias.  I think what sinks UND (and Idaho St) are the east coast voters, as some of these polls just don't make any sense to me at all.  

Anyway, here is the thread discussing this weeks polls.  A lot of defending UND and Idaho State in this one.  Definitely a good read.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?215312-AGS-Poll-Results-WEEK-7-POLL-2018-SEASON

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This is probably good for the team as voters give them no respect.  Will keep a chip on their shoulders.

Really like how the younger players seem to fill holes and make a deeper squad.  Seems like now is just the beginning.

I want you to visualize all those pollsters that have been mean to you!  They're going be be your...tackling fuel...

2 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

I’d rather beat teams still ranked at the end of the season, but that’s just me.

The Weber game will be huge, have to win that one.  If we win that one.....and lets say drop the game against NAU, we will be in at 8-3.  Would rather win out of course. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Chattanooga is 5-2, who Wofford beat.  But the combined record of the other 3 teams they beat is 2-16.

But but Wofford has a quality loss against the powerhouse of The University of Wyoming cowpokes...... they almost beat the almighty former Bison Craig Bohl! That’s pretty much a win in the eyes of the voters.

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

But but Wofford has a quality loss against the powerhouse of The University of Wyoming cowpokes...... they almost beat the almighty former Bison Craig Bohl! That’s pretty much a win in the eyes of the voters.

Unless UND beats them because that still wasn't enough to give them a playoff spot 3 years ago. 

This is where having no access to an autobid is going to hurt us this season and next.  I don't think UND would even be in the committee's discussion at 7-4, and 8-3 would put us squarely on the bubble IMO.  I think we have to be 9-2 to make the playoffs, which would normally actually be good enough to get a seed, but in UND's case would likely have us playing in the opening round this year.

Agree that Idaho St. has even more reason to be miffed by all of this than UND does.  Going into this past weekend they were still unranked as the 1st place Big Sky team.  They lose in OT, on the road, to UC Davis who STATS had ranked at #14 last week.  Davis climbs into the Top 10 with a win over ISU, but ISU still can't crack their poll.  The whole thing is a joke!

For what it is worth, North Dakota is at #12 in the Hero Sports Computer Rankings.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think not having access to the auto-bid is as important as not having an individual in the room fighting to have another one of their conference members in. If we were to finish 7-4 or even 8-3, and were still a Big Sky member that likely wouldn’t put us in position to receive the auto. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don’t think not having access to the auto-bid is as important as not having an individual in the room fighting to have another one of their conference members in. If we were to finish 7-4 or even 8-3, and were still a Big Sky member that likely wouldn’t put us in position to receive the auto. 

You mean like when UND was in the Big Sky, finished 7-4 and had no support from the Big Sky rep who was from ISU?

• Like 2