SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Just realism after this weekend’s clunkers from Montana and Weber.

It would be nice to run the table, but if we go 5-1 the rest of the way we'll still be in the playoffs.  Many teams have clunkers  during the year so I won't be surprised if we drop a game somewhere.  We do need to beat both Weber and Montana though.  The NAU game is the game on the schedule that has worried me the most since the start of the season, just because it's a game we should win but NAU always seems to be so up and down.  Let's start this weekend and beat Montana and take it from there. 

With that said,

UNDs only FCS loss is to a higher ranked team than Weber States only FCS loss.... UNDs best win this season is also ranked higher than Weber States best win....and they both have 3-2 overall records.

Both played Northern Colorado a week apart. UND won at UNC by 25. Weber won at home by 17.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Cratter said:

With that said,

UNDs only FCS loss is to a higher ranked team than Weber States only FCS loss.... UNDs best win this season is also ranked higher than Weber States best win....and they both have 3-2 over all records.

Perception of your program and history obviously is still playing a factor in the polls even after 5 weeks in.  We must take care of business this weekend.  I'll take even a 1 point win...because a win is a win......but I'd really like to beat Montana 35-17 or something like that.  Idaho St. is not even ranked and they just have 1 loss which is an FBS loss.  They play at UC Davis next week, that should be interesting and will likely be a shootout.  If Idaho State beats UC Davis, will be curious to see what will happen in the polls....they will definitely be in...but how high.  Pollsters might just say.....ahhh UC Davis was over-rated and it's not that big of a win.  The whole MVFC teams beat each other up because they are all so good, but if a Big Sky team beats another one....it's because none of them are good.  

Portland State > Montana > UNI  

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

With that said,

UNDs only FCS loss is to a higher ranked team than Weber States only FCS loss.... UNDs best win this season is also ranked higher than Weber States best win....and they both have 3-2 overall records.

Both played Northern Colorado a week apart. UND won at UNC by 25. Weber won at home by 17.

facts not feelings.....

• Upvote 1

The FCS polls use another system beyond voting that isn’t public.  A team gets points for how many wins they have had in the playoffs for the past twenty years and deducts points for every year missed for twenty years, but the points deducted do not apply for Montana and UNI.  In fact, Montana and UNI got bonus points for playing each other.  UCDavis, Idaho St, Weber St, UND and Montana St should all have more votes than Montana who had a bad loss to PSU by any logical voter, but their isn’t any in FCS.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The FCS polls use another system beyond voting that isn’t public.  A team gets points for how many wins they have had in the playoffs for the past twenty years and deducts points for every year missed for twenty years, but the points deducted do not apply for Montana and UNI.  In fact, Montana and UNI got bonus points for playing each other.  UCDavis, Idaho St, Weber St, UND and Montana St should all have more votes than Montana who had a bad loss to PSU by any logical voter, but their isn’t any in FCS.

I could only guess who may be added to that list down the road?

On 10/8/2018 at 2:32 PM, Dustin said:

http://www.fcs.football/fcsfront.asp

Weber St. at #13, SHSU at #15, Montana at #22, ISU increased their votes received, and NAU is receiving votes also.

LOL to this poll.  Idaho St. is in first place in the Big Sky Conference, and they are in the "Others Receiving Votes" category.  I used to think the STATS poll meant something.  Not so much anymore..........................

Having said that, they've also got North Dakota in the Playoff Field this week.................................

44 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

LOL to this poll.  Idaho St. is in first place in the Big Sky Conference, and they are in the "Others Receiving Votes" category.  I used to think the STATS poll meant something.  Not so much anymore..........................

Having said that, they've also got North Dakota in the Playoff Field this week.................................

A win on Saturday will put us back in the respectable column in a lot of polls.   We've had way too many ups and downs the last 2 seasons but that should all change on Saturday.

I wish there was a week that everyone would agree on that he pollsters would take a deep dive into their rankings. Let's say Week 6, toss out the rankings before and truly look into them (as if they were the playoff committee) and really reset.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AJS said:

I wish there was a week that everyone would agree on that he pollsters would take a deep dive into their rankings. Let's say Week 6, toss out the rankings before and truly look into them (as if they were the playoff committee) and really reset.

That really wouldn't be fair to Montana & Northern Iowa. 

FCS Stats Poll - I picked 9 teams. Black # top 25 rank. Blue # are receiving points.

Week       1       2       3       4       5       6

Webr       10     11     7       6       6       13

NArz       18     20   `50pt  22pt           36pt

ND          28pt   9pt   22     61pt   65pt  60pt

Mtn         14    15    19     17     14      22   

MtnSt  169pt  36pt  112pt  229pt  70pt  50pt  

IdahSt                                28pt  54pt  246pt

SD         23    22   249pt  203pt  162pt  24

SamH     4      5     11      21     17      15

NIowa    21    21   25     23     22    251pt

We were ranked in week 3. If we lose, Montana stays in Top25. We need a W.