SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

Craig Haley of STATS FCS has us at #22:

1 NDSU 2 JMU 3 SDSU 4 Kennesaw 5 NC A&T 6 EWU 7 Wofford 8 Maine 9 McNeese 10 Nova 11 Elon 12 Jacksonville St 13. Weber 14 SHSU 15 Samford 16 Ill St 17 Central Ark 18 Griz 19 UC Davis 20 Rhody 21 S Dakota 22 N Dakota 23 Mercer 24 Nicholls 25 Towson

EDIT: SHSU falls to #14

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

When you beat a top 5 team on the road, and you are undefeated against FCS competition (2-0), you should be a top 25 team. Idiotic if UND doesn’t at least make #25 in polls.

All in all, though, UND needs to just keep winning and that will get them in the polls. 

Agreed! I don't like to put too much stock in polls, but the truth is, if you don't get into them early, and work your way up, you can really pay for it later in the year, especially if there is a late loss on your schedule.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Hopefully the boys don't care about it too much, but we all know they look at it and care about getting respect from the rest of the league. I honestly think that they'll crack the top 25, but would not be surprised if they just show up as "receiving votes". I actually hope they do not end up cracking the top 25, because that would definitely piss them off and the coaches would use that no-respect showing as fuel this week to kick ISU's ass even worse. I honestly think that fuel is needed, because this week scares me knowing how teams typically play after a big win like this. Reminds me of the ISU game 2 years ago at home that 100% kept UND out of the playoffs. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. A team that feels slighted is a team that kicks ass. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed! I don't like to put too much stock in polls, but the truth is, if you don't get into them early, and work your way up, you can really pay for it later in the year, especially if there is a late loss on your schedule.

The polls killed us in 2015 and keep us out of the playoffs.  If we keep winning we will be fine.  I hope Sammy wins out as well that will help.

• Upvote 1

I still really haven’t been able to watch any of the games this year but I am going to trust the confidence building on this board. What’s everyones biggest concern surrounding this team still? Seems like our o-line and secondary has built a little bit more confidence in people, correct?

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I still really haven’t been able to watch any of the games this year but I am going to trust the confidence building on this board. What’s everyones biggest concern surrounding this team still? Seems like our o-line and secondary has built a little bit more confidence in people, correct?

Special teams and O-line are my biggest concerns.  Special teams are a mess.  OL is proving itself capable, but still needs to improve.

It looks like Craig Haley has us slotted at #22, which seems like a pretty legit spot, considering where we were. Time to solidify our spot in the polls against ISU. Could be sitting in a nice spot leading up to the bye if we take care of business against ISU and UNC (who I believe just lost their QB).

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

It looks like Craig Haley has us slotted at #22, which seems like a pretty legit spot, considering where we were. Time to solidify our spot in the polls against ISU. Could be sitting in a nice spot leading up to the bye if we take care of business against ISU and UNC (who I believe just lost their QB).

Bye week?  We get one of those during the season?!! :wink:

Our record is 2 and 1..  Our loss is to #9  FBS Washington(played well against despite the score)  . We beat #4 Sam Houston at their place.  USD is 1 and 2.  They lost to an unranked FBS team and got beat handily by Weber State.  The first poll out has  USD is ranked ahead of us.  How does that work?

5 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Our record is 2 and 1..  Our loss is to #9  FBS Washington(played well against despite the score)  . We beat #4 Sam Houston at their place.  USD is 1 and 2.  They lost to an unranked FBS team and got beat handily by Weber State.  The first poll out has  USD is ranked ahead of us.  How does that work?

Because last year doesn’t just get erased from peoples minds this early. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Slot voting based on preseason polls.  Also, USD"s game with Kansas St was very competitive.  

UND also could have shown more against MVSU.  35 points against that team isn't going to impress anyone.

Jacksonville State is at about 12 in the polls.  Rushed for 366 and passed for 288 against them, and won 71 to zero.  Jacksonville only gave up 133 yards of total offense.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

And 99% of people have no idea the UND-UW game was more competitive than the blowout 45-3 score would indicate.

Very true, unfortunately.  If UND was truly a top 10 - 20 team, one would think that we would score more than 3 points, though.  I can see how people would wait to see one more win from us before placing us in their poll.  Many UND fans have the same reservations about our offense.

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

UND also could have shown more against MVSU.  35 points against that team isn't going to impress anyone.

Jacksonville State is at about 12 in the polls.  Rushed for 366 and passed for 288 against them, and won 71 to zero.  Jacksonville only gave up 133 yards of total offense.

You are absolutely right. Fortunately the team I watched Saturday night did not resemble the team that played MVSU. Nice progression so far this season. It was also nice to see the young kicker make another one. 

5 minutes ago, Dagger said:

When you think about it why is Sam Houston ranked ahead of us  We just beat them at their place.  Common sense would say that is weird.  But common sense and polls just don't always go hand in hand. 

USD beat NDSU in fargo a few years ago and didn't move to #1...everyone calm down, the polls will work themselves out with more W's.