SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

4 hours ago, petey23 said:

52-47 which is their entire schedule. UND's opponents are 45-54 on the season.

You can only play who is on your schedule.  Majority of games are conference games and the big sky conference is a weaker conference than the Missouri Valley football conference. The degree of difference is often exaggerated by North Dakota State fans, but nevertheless the MVFC is still a superior conference. We can all find solace in that UND is moving to the better conference in 2020. Until then, win what’s on your schedule and go from there. It’s disappointing that North Dakota had a relatively weak schedule this year but yet can only max out at seven regular-season wins

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

OR the committee will look and the combined record of the teams UND beat which is 19-35. Not a lot of strength there.

That's awesome you took the time out of your day to compile that. Perhaps you wanted to put it together to send to the selection committee.  Have you checked the win/loss totals of SDSU's opponents yet.....you know....since they are your real rivals. 

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You can only play who is on your schedule.  Majority of games are conference games and the big sky conference is a weaker conference then the Missouri Valley football conference. The degree of difference is often exaggerated by North Dakota State fans, but nevertheless the MVFC is still a superior conference. We can all find solace in that UND is moving to the better conference in 2020. Until then, win what’s on your schedule and go from there. It’s disappointing that North Dakota had a relatively weak schedule this year but yet can only max out at seven regular-season wins

Realize that the season is not over yet, but the latest bracket from STATS/Craig Haley has 5 Big Sky teams (when you include UND) in versus just 2 from the Valley.  That would make the Big Sky the stronger conference and illustrates that the Valley is not as "strong" as some believe or even hope.  I don't think the disparity has been as large in recent years as some people like to think.  The fact that the MVFC has been dominated by two DII move-ups since they joined that league says volumes about the quality of the other members.

As far as "finding solace" in the fact that UND is moving to the Valley, I'll pass.  It's like leaving the Big 10 for the Big 12.  

But to get back on topic, North Dakota just needs to win this weekend, preferably convincingly, and let the chips fall where they do.  Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling we are going to get passed over for whoever wins the Brawl of the Wild game.  Too much name recognition to overcome there.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That's awesome you took the time out of your day to compile that. Perhaps you wanted to put it together to send to the selection committee.  Have you checked the win/loss totals of SDSU's opponents yet.....you know....since they are your real rivals. 

Actually I didnt compile those figures. They were brought up in conversation. I will pass on your thanks to those that did the work. :)

SDSU our real rival????? No way in hell. They were just another game when I was in school.

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Instant Classic!!

If that is in fact true then one would need to included the FCS as whole also wouldnt you think.  I myself would never say that. I was just following the vein-post that you seem to think is a classic.

11 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Realize that the season is not over yet, but the latest bracket from STATS/Craig Haley has 5 Big Sky teams (when you include UND) in versus just 2 from the Valley.  That would make the Big Sky the stronger conference and illustrates that the Valley is not as "strong" as some believe or even hope.  I don't think the disparity has been as large in recent years as some people like to think.  The fact that the MVFC has been dominated by two DII move-ups since they joined that league says volumes about the quality of the other members.

As far as "finding solace" in the fact that UND is moving to the Valley, I'll pass.  It's like leaving the Big 10 for the Big 12.  

But to get back on topic, North Dakota just needs to win this weekend, preferably convincingly, and let the chips fall where they do.  Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling we are going to get passed over for whoever wins the Brawl of the Wild game.  Too much name recognition to overcome there.

This is classic...the last 15 years disproves all this, but carry on

15 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

In 2018, the MVFC and Big Sky Conference have been much closer than they have been in years past. Looking at past 10 years, though, that is not the case.

I think we can all agree that UND’s strength of schedule would’ve been much more difficult with a MVFC schedule, and with current playoff discussions, strength of schedule is being held against UND. Biggest issue is still, and always will be, total number of wins. Need to get to 7 with a win against Northern Arizona. 

Also, let’s be careful in criticizing the DII moveup narrative. UND could be doing a hell of a better job at it themselves. 

Lastly, how is the MVFC comparable to the Big 12. That is laughable and you should be embarrassed making that comparison. Your bias for the BSC comes through on that. When was the last time a Big 12 team won a string of national championships or even a single national champion for that matter? Maybe back when the Cornhuskers were top dogs in the 90s, and then Texas won the NC in 2005, but otherwise the Big 12 has been crap the past 10+ years when comparing to national picture. When comparing the MVFC to national FCs picture, the conference has been a top player for the past 10 years. Never mind NDSU because we know you don’t want to hear about them and I agree it’s too much. But SDSU was a semi-finalist last year. A few years ago Illinois State was in the national championship. UNI has beat up on Big Sky teams in the playoffs, such as ranked Portland State (in Portland) in 2015. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

I completely endorse the move to the MVFC as a move to a superior conference. Now, that means UND needs to pick its game up and Bubba needs to get talented players and coaches to help him with that.

13 hours ago, bison73 said:

If that is in fact true then one would need to included the FCS as whole also wouldnt you think. 

For sure.  App St., Ga Southern, Liberty, Coastal Car. (a few others) and prior to that by a lot of years Marshall and Boise St. have weakened the FCS when they moved to FBS.  Are the DII teams replacing and strengthening compared to what's left or leaving??  Hard to say and only because of SU's run.

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Also, let’s be careful in criticizing the DII moveup narrative. UND could be doing a hell of a better job at it themselves. 

.......and that's what is so frustrating!!  I am more critical with the exodus of top teams.  (SU plans on waiting it out to see if the P5 split I believe)

17 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

For sure.  App St., Ga Southern, Liberty, Coastal Car. (a few others) and prior to that by a lot of years Marshall and Boise St. have weakened the FCS when they moved to FBS.  Are the DII teams replacing and strengthening compared to what's left or leaving??  Hard to say and only because of SU's run.

.......and that's what is so frustrating!!  I am more critical with the exodus of top teams.  (SU plans on waiting it out to see if the P5 split I believe)

As should we. If that happens the top tier of FCS and lower half of FBS would make for great competition. I would also push for upping scholarships to 75. Many of the lower half FBS teams are not currently funded to the max 85 schollys. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

As should we. If that happens the top tier of FCS and lower half of FBS would make for great competition. I would also push for upping scholarships to 75. Many of the lower half FBS teams are not currently funded to the max 85 schollys. 

I agree with this, can't wait a decade to follow SU.

3 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Some of you Bison fans are beyond insecure.

What have I posted but facts to SiouxVolley that also hold up against Bin's comments about the Valley that make me insecure?  They both are trying to downplay that in FACT the MVFC has been a stronger conference since 2002, this year is questionable yes

SiouxVOlley tried to say the MVFC was weak because in 2002 Western Kentucky won a Championship and the Valley did not win another till 2011, while in that exact same time frame the Big Sky only won 1 also, but he didn't want to respond to the fact that since 2002 the MVFC has put 5 different teams in the Championship game compared to 2 from the Big sky,  When 2 conference teams meet in the NC game its undeniable the strength of the conference or when one conference has been in the title game every year since 2011

Those are FACTS, the insecurity comes from the 2 downplaying their future conference, NDSU thought exactly the same thing going from the GWFC to the Valley, 2009 we were beat up bad and went 3-8, took a whole new recruiting class and philosophy in 2010 to change it around.  I'm sorry if I believe UND is going down that same route, think what you want but playing Physical Power games week after week compared to chuck the pigskin offenses is a whole different animal.

18 minutes ago, tjbison said:

What have I posted but facts to SiouxVolley that also hold up against Bin's comments about the Valley that make me insecure?  They both are trying to downplay that in FACT the MVFC has been a stronger conference since 2002, this year is questionable yes

SiouxVOlley tried to say the MVFC was weak because in 2002 Western Kentucky won a Championship and the Valley did not win another till 2011, while in that exact same time frame the Big Sky only won 1 also, but he didn't want to respond to the fact that since 2002 the MVFC has put 5 different teams in the Championship game compared to 2 from the Big sky,  When 2 conference teams meet in the NC game its undeniable the strength of the conference or when one conference has been in the title game every year since 2011

Those are FACTS, the insecurity comes from the 2 downplaying their future conference, NDSU thought exactly the same thing going from the GWFC to the Valley, 2009 we were beat up bad and went 3-8, took a whole new recruiting class and philosophy in 2010 to change it around.  I'm sorry if I believe UND is going down that same route, think what you want but playing Physical Power games week after week compared to chuck the pigskin offenses is a whole different animal.

That part of your post is utter BS.  NDSU has had a great run enjoy it, don't cheapen it by trying to sell the MVFC as something it clearly is not this season.

11 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

This site would be a lot better if it had a Cow College filter. I run into enough of them in person, now they're overflowing every football forum site known to man with their blabbering BS and arrogance. 

again what have I posted that is arrogant, insecure ect.. I'm interested in the FCS playoffs, just responding to a couple that have posted false info, I have not talked smack or insulted anyone, in fact go back and read my posts in this thread I even said all you can hope for is to win Saturday and let the committee decide on making the playoffs. 

I read many teams message boards and post on several but i seem to get grief here only.  Sorry for adding an outside opinion and yes there are several UND posters on BV to answer a question a few posts back

53 minutes ago, tjbison said:

2005 called and wants their Big Sky stereotype back. Get a clue.

• Upvote 2