SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

30 minutes ago, Herd said:

There is nothing wrong with the 6-4 teams in the MVFC.   The worst team in the MVFC (MO St) has a higher sagarin rating than the bottom 7 teams in the Big Sky, and is higher than the bottom 3 in the CAA (very close to 2 more).

Wins are harder (top to bottom)  in the MVFC, and there are relatively easier wins at the bottom of the Big Sky.  Getting to 7 wins very hard in the MVFC, just a fact this year.   You are entitled to your opinion, but that is what sagarin indicates.   The MVFC is 8 points above the CAA as a league, 10 above the BSC.   Do I think the top 4 in the MVC should get in?  Yes

#butsagarin

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’ve instantly lost all credibility with this first sentence.

There is plenty wrong with ALL 6-4 teams — that’s why they have 4 losses!

Dont place all MVFC teams on a pedestal just because of conference affiliation with cow college. 

The strength of schedule argument is incomplete. You can’t just get 4 to 5 teams from the MVFC every season because it’s “so hard to win games”. That is the most shortsighted and ignorant argument out there. Minus SDSU and NDSU, the MVFC is nothing special (it will be in 2020 though ... ha).  The MVFC will get a 3rd team but don’t bring a bunch of crap from bisonville over here to try justify a 4th or 5th. It just doesn’t cut it this season.  

Damn

Go ahead and put UCF in your top 4, I won't.  Your league and your schedule matters.

8 minutes ago, Herd said:

Go ahead and put UCF in your top 4, I won't.  Your league and your schedule matters.

Sure it matters, but it’s not the end all be all. Many of your beloved MVFC playoff bubble teams have only won 6 games. They need 7 wins and then they have to competitively compare to other 7 DI win teams. Don’t just skip the win total and head-to-head comparisons because the team happens to be in the MVFC, which is definitely skewed by its top team. 

26 minutes ago, Herd said:

There is a chance hat the MVFV finishes with only 3 teams over .500.  It’s a decent  chance actually.  I don’t define that as above average.  

I will say years past the conference has been good top to bottom.  Not this year.  6-5 shouldn’t get in from that conference.  Goalposts have to be moved to far.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

There is a chance hat the MVFV finishes with only 3 teams over .500.  It’s a decent  chance actually.  I don’t define that as above average.  

I will say years past the conference has been good top to bottom.  Not this year.  6-5 shouldn’t get in from that conference.  Goalposts have to be moved to far.  

I think the Big Sky has proven the last two years that when you dip down to the 4th and 5th teams in the conference for playoff spots they are not deserving, whether they are 7-4 or 8-3. They have been blown out at home by non-scholarship teams. Maybe it is time to try some 6-5 MVFC teams. NCAA basketball will take an 18 win ACC team over a 26 win Summit team. What is the difference? 

7 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I think the Big Sky has proven the last two years that when you dip down to the 4th and 5th teams in the conference for playoff spots they are not deserving, whether they are 7-4 or 8-3. They have been blown out at home by non-scholarship teams. Maybe it is time to try some 6-5 MVFC teams. NCAA basketball will take an 18 win ACC team over a 26 win Summit team. What is the difference? 

Guess that’s like the Gateway Conference always losing steam in the playoffs, especially after WKU went FBS.  A few new schools came in and it kind of changed things.  History is never an unending repeat.

22 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

We don't need your "I think"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My thought is that UNI is the best of the rest MVFC teams.  They beat SDSU and played NDSU tight for 3 Quarters.  Don''t know how they got beat so bad by Youngstown.  If UND gets to 7-4, with their very good win against Montana, who will be either 7-4 or 6-5 after Sat., and UNI is 6-5, with a loss to Montana, I would hope UND would get in ahead of UNI.  I could see 1 MVFC team in at 6-5, but not 2. 

That really doesn't make much sense, the Gateway after WKU won the title in 2002 stayed pretty level making the title game and Semis Regular.  MVFC teams took each other out in the Semis or Qtrs several times, don't get what your trying to say  ( I tried to quote Sioux Volley but it didn't work)

Gateway/MVFC teams in the playoffs

2002 - WKU, WIU;       both met in the Qtrs WKU went on to win the Championship

2003 - UNI, WIU;         WKU all 3 made it to QTRs and lost, UNI lost eventual NC Delaware

2004- SIU, WKU;         both lost first round

2005- UNI, SIU;           SIU made the QTRS, UNI the title game Losing to APP st

2006- ISU-R, SIU, YSU;      All made QTRS, YSU played ISU-R and made Semis'

2007- UNI, SIU;           Both QTRS, SIU made SEMI's

2008- UNI, SIU;           UNI made SEMI's

2009 - SDSU, SIU;      SIU made QTRS

2010 - WIU, NDSU, UNI;        WIU Rd2, NDSU Qtrs NDSU lost to EWU eventual Champ (first year of expanded playoffs)

2011 - NDSU, UNI;       UNI Qtrs, NDSU Champion

2012 - NDSU, SDSU, ISU-R;     SDSU 2nd Rnd, ISU-R Qtrs, NDSU Champ (Beat SDSU)

2013 - NDSU, SDSU;      SDSU 2nd rnd, NDSU Champ

2014  - NDSU, SDSU, UNI, ISU-R, ISU-B;         Illinois ST beat UNI, NDSU beat SDSU, Both made Title game

2015 - NDSU, SDSU, UNI, WIU, ISU-R;             Illinois, UNI, NDSU all made Qtrs, NDSU beat UNI in Semis

2016 - NDSU, SDSU, ISU-R, YSU;               NDSU, SDSU, YSU made QTRS; NDSU and YSU Semis, YSU lost to JMU NC game

2017 - NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, WIU;         NDSU SDSU Semis, NDSU Champ

I don't see the big conspiracy as both Valley and BSC teams have generally faired pretty well  in Playoffs with some unfavorable draws, lets remember playoffs went from 16 to 20 to the current 24 since 2010, better conferences naturally got more bids

28 minutes ago, HAWKS1 said:

My thought is that UNI is the best of the rest MVFC teams.  They beat SDSU and played NDSU tight for 3 Quarters.  Don''t know how they got beat so bad by Youngstown.  If UND gets to 7-4, with their very good win against Montana, who will be either 7-4 or 6-5 after Sat., and UNI is 6-5, with a loss to Montana, I would hope UND would get in ahead of UNI.  I could see 1 MVFC team in at 6-5, but not 2. 

Due to ISU-R and ISU-B scheduling non DI OOC games they hurt themselves.  I only se 3 at the most form the Valley, could even only be NDSU and SDSU at this point. Although ISU-B is on a 5 game win streak will it be enough?  If they win maybe but still lack 1 DI game.

I doubt they get left out after winning 6 straight should they win Saturday as its shown in the past the committee rewards late season winning

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Years past a 6-5 MVFC team would have had 2 non conference FCS wins with one being quality.  Not this year.  

Again, to justify one you have to move the goalpost for a lot of 7-4 teams   They will likely get one in but it’s not justified based on the season.  

2 hours ago, tjbison said:

That really doesn't make much sense, the Gateway after WKU won the title in 2002 stayed pretty level making the title game and Semis Regular.  MVFC teams took each other out in the Semis or Qtrs several times, don't get what your trying to say  ( I tried to quote Sioux Volley but it didn't work)

Gateway/MVFC teams in the playoffs

2002 - WKU, WIU;       both met in the Qtrs WKU went on to win the Championship

2003 - UNI, WIU;         WKU all 3 made it to QTRs and lost, UNI lost eventual NC Delaware

2004- SIU, WKU;         both lost first round

2005- UNI, SIU;           SIU made the QTRS, UNI the title game Losing to APP st

2006- ISU-R, SIU, YSU;      All made QTRS, YSU played ISU-R and made Semis'

2007- UNI, SIU;           Both QTRS, SIU made SEMI's

2008- UNI, SIU;           UNI made SEMI's

2009 - SDSU, SIU;      SIU made QTRS

2010 - WIU, NDSU, UNI;        WIU Rd2, NDSU Qtrs NDSU lost to EWU eventual Champ (first year of expanded playoffs)

2011 - NDSU, UNI;       UNI Qtrs, NDSU Champion

2012 - NDSU, SDSU, ISU-R;     SDSU 2nd Rnd, ISU-R Qtrs, NDSU Champ (Beat SDSU)

2013 - NDSU, SDSU;      SDSU 2nd rnd, NDSU Champ

2014  - NDSU, SDSU, UNI, ISU-R, ISU-B;         Illinois ST beat UNI, NDSU beat SDSU, Both made Title game

2015 - NDSU, SDSU, UNI, WIU, ISU-R;             Illinois, UNI, NDSU all made Qtrs, NDSU beat UNI in Semis

2016 - NDSU, SDSU, ISU-R, YSU;               NDSU, SDSU, YSU made QTRS; NDSU and YSU Semis, YSU lost to JMU NC game

2017 - NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, WIU;         NDSU SDSU Semis, NDSU Champ

I don't see the big conspiracy as both Valley and BSC teams have generally faired pretty well  in Playoffs with some unfavorable draws, lets remember playoffs went from 16 to 20 to the current 24 since 2010, better conferences naturally got more bids

So how is it possible no one from the world strongest Gateway/MVFC Conference won a championships between WKU and NDSU.

SIU and Youngstown St won before that, but SIU is down in the Pitts now and YSU is almost there.

But the histories of UNI, Ill St, and WIU are about as illustrious as NAU and below that of Idaho St.

The historical record will remember only Youngstown St and NDSU.  Between those schools, it had no national power schools, except departed for FBS WKU, that will be remembered.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Two years from now the same people on this board will be begging for a 6-5 MVFC UND team to get in the playoffs. 

I could give a crap whether 2 or 4 teams from the Valley actually get in.   Just stating the fact that its the toughest conference top to bottom, and its not close.

3 minutes ago, Herd said:

I could give a crap whether 2 or 4 teams from the Valley actually get in.   Just stating the fact that its the toughest conference top to bottom, and its not close.

CAA is the toughest conference top to bottom this year. Other years I would agree on the MVFC but not this year.

NDSU is clearly the top team again this year.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So how is it possible no one from the world strongest Gateway/MVFC Conference won a championships between WKU and NDSU.

SIU and Youngstown St won before that, but SIU is down in the Pitts now and YSU is almost there.

But the histories of UNI, Ill St, and WIU are about as illustrious as NAU and below that of Idaho St.

The historical record will remember only Youngstown St and NDSU.  Between those schools, it had no national power schools, except departed for FBS WKU, that will be remembered.

what narrative are you pushing?  

The MVFC/Gateway since 2002 the WKU years you are so interested in have had 5 different teams in the NC game, the Big Sky only 2

2002- MVFC; Western Kentucky

2003- CAA; Delaware

2004- CAA; James Madison

2005-2007 - SoCon; App St

2008- CAA; Richmond

2009- CAA; Villanova

2010- BSC; Eastern Wash

2011-2015 - MVFC - NDSU

2016 - CAA; James Madison

2017- MVFC; NDSU

59 minutes ago, tjbison said:

what narrative are you pushing?  

The MVFC/Gateway since 2002 the WKU years you are so interested in have had 5 different teams in the NC game, the Big Sky only 2

2002- MVFC; Western Kentucky

2003- CAA; Delaware

2004- CAA; James Madison

2005-2007 - SoCon; App St

2008- CAA; Richmond

2009- CAA; Villanova

2010- BSC; Eastern Wash

2011-2015 - MVFC - NDSU

2016 - CAA; James Madison

2017- MVFC; NDSU

Just rejecting the BS that comes from down south that the MVFC is somehow greater than the SEC.

5 hours ago, HAWKS1 said:

Nope,  there are no toe to toe points even for UNI.