SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I have seen us playing at Nicholls St. with winner going to Fargo and I have seen us hosting UNI with winner going to Brookings

So many different scenario’s possible—-could have many more cross-country matchups this year which would make for a more interesting playoff (JMO). Selection committee  will have plenty of bubble teams to look at, hopefully they decide on deserving teams over regional matchups.

This playoff bubble has a whole different feel than it did in 2015. I really thought in 2015 we had a chance to make some noise in the playoffs, this time the only thing I'm thinking is that we aren't very good. This team has been in every game they lost except FBS Washington and if you asked me to pick a win total before the season started I would have said 6 with a slight possibility of 7 but yet this season feels like a disappointment...

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

This playoff bubble has a whole different feel than it did in 2015. I really thought in 2015 we had a chance to make some noise in the playoffs, this time the only thing I'm thinking is that we aren't very good. This team has been in every game they lost except FBS Washington and if you asked me to pick a win total before the season started I would have said 6 with a slight possibility of 7 but yet this season feels like a disappointment...

If you had known SHSU and Montana weren't going to be good, you would probably have expected 8 or 9 wins right? That's why the season feels like disappointment.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

This team at times has looked and played great.... at other times not so much.   The specials have been consistently bad.  In August i did not think that coaching could be this teams biggest weakness.  I think if we win, we are in and will be a team that nobody wants to play.  

12 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

If you had known SHSU and Montana weren't going to be good, you would probably have expected 8 or 9 wins right? That's why the season feels like disappointment.

Also NAU and Idaho were thought to likely be tough games going into this year.  Starting the season I thought 7-4 would make the playoffs, but then our schedule ended up being softer than anticipated.  Like the original post said, 7-4 this year doesn't feel good and the season feels like a disappointment.  There is still a possibility we make the playoffs, and heck even win a game.  But after giving plenty of benefits of the doubt, I no longer feel we have the coaching staff to be more than a 1 playoff win team (Rudy and Kostich) no matter what happens the rest of the way. 

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I know every year has different circumstances but when UND was 7-4 with an FBS vistory and had a conference affiliation and didn’t get in, it was pretty clear UND wasn’t a highly respected team. Now 7-4 without either of those after a 3-8 season, I think they have a less than 1% chance of getting in. Even if on paper they probably should , the politics will always keep them out when they’re on the fence. 

I tend to agree with this, unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Stand4Anthem said:

My take on the playoffs——in or out there is not much to argue/complain/bitch about. A win on Saturday first along with some other teams helping out & it’s a possibility to get the invite. When you need help at this point of the season you didn’t take care of business over the entire season. This season overall (FCS) has been a clusterf___(or call it parity)outside of NDSU. If playoffs do happen what is the likely opponent & where would the winner of this game be going? My guess would be either SDSU or NDSU. Thoughts or any preferred opponent in the first round if it happens?

Reminder .0001

7 months ago Duluth MH slipped in over MN for the last NCAA spot where something like a specific 8 teams had to lose. 

At this point, I'll take your "My guess" with a little spice.

That being -  -   UND wins at home. Then loses at SDSU by 55 - 49 on a blocked punt returned for a TD with seconds left.

As painful as that may be?    Better "Having Been There Done That" verses the other option.

4 minutes ago, stonebreaker said:

Here is a link, I hope it works, with some playoff facts having to do with the MVFC and regular season records. Read, Discuss,Spin it how you want.

https://valley-football.org/news/2018/11/12/valley-football-notes-nov-12.aspx

Their own representative called last weekend a disaster.  Then they put out a big PR piece about their history in the playoffs....lol.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Their own representative called last weekend a disaster.  Then they put out a big PR piece about their history in the playoffs....lol.

And when all the MV teams are ranked too high (not NDSU and SDSU) but all the other teams(especially UNI), of course it's going to look like really tough schedules.  (self fulfilling prophecy)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

And when all the MV teams are ranked too high (not NDSU and SDSU) but all the other teams(especially UNI), of course it's going to look like really tough schedules.  (self fulfilling prophecy)

MVFC will get a 3rd team into the playoff field due to reputation. 

If UND wins and also gets in, UND fans will likely get a little MVFC preview with that MVFC team playing in the Alerus Center for the first round of the playoffs.

Bring on the Valley! Go UND

37 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Hate it all you want the the MVFC gets maybe over ranked, but UND will most certainly benefit being in the Valley moving forward from 2020 on.  If we go 7-4 in 2020, we are in the playoffs without a doubt.   Doesn't help us now, but something to look forward to I guess!!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

MVFC will get a 3rd team into the playoff field due to reputation. 

If UND wins and also gets in, UND fans will likely get a little MVFC preview with that MVFC team playing in the Alerus Center for the first round of the playoffs.

Bring on the Valley! Go UND

I don't see a scenario in which we make the playoffs.  If we did, MVFC blowhards will tell us we'll have negative yards at half, and they might not be too far off.

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hate it all you want the the MVFC gets maybe over ranked, but UND will most certainly benefit being in the Valley moving forward from 2020 on.  If we go 7-4 in 2020, we are in the playoffs without a doubt.   Doesn't help us now, but something to look forward to I guess!!

Right, in 2 years, 6-5 could get us in!!  Especially playing NDSU and SDSU, those losses don't even count.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't see a scenario in which we make the playoffs.  If we did, MVFC blowhards will tell us we'll have negative yards at half, and they might not be too far off.

A lot of scenarios have to go right for UND. First and foremost UND has to win. Also UND has to overcome independence status and prior history of being overlooked. 

I think UND’s blowout win against Montana and playoff appearance in 2016 (better name recognition now than ‘15) could be the difference though and will allow UND entry. All in all, though, after 2015 nothing will surprise me. The Idaho loss would be the difference maker.

As for the quality of play right now for UND, I absolutely agree with you. The offense and special teams are horrendous right now and it’s not all due to injuries (again the same discussion as last season folks). I’m also a bit concerned with the defensive play calling, unfortunately. Schmidt is really sticking with his base defense too much in my estimation. Would like to see some sub packages against pass happy offenses.

We’ll see how it goes down in Flagstaff and go from there I guess.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

There is nothing wrong with the 6-4 teams in the MVFC.   The worst team in the MVFC (MO St) has a higher sagarin rating than the bottom 7 teams in the Big Sky, and is higher than the bottom 3 in the CAA (very close to 2 more).

Wins are harder (top to bottom)  in the MVFC, and there are relatively easier wins at the bottom of the Big Sky.  Getting to 7 wins very hard in the MVFC, just a fact this year.   You are entitled to your opinion, but that is what sagarin indicates.   The MVFC is 8 points above the CAA as a league, 10 above the BSC.   Do I think the top 4 in the MVC should get in?  Yes

6 minutes ago, Herd said:

There is nothing wrong with the 6-4 teams in the MVFC.  

You’ve instantly lost all credibility with this first sentence.

There is plenty wrong with ALL 6-4 teams — that’s why they have 4 losses!

Dont place all MVFC teams on a pedestal just because of conference affiliation with cow college. 

The strength of schedule argument is incomplete. You can’t just get 4 to 5 teams from the MVFC every season because it’s “so hard to win games”. That is the most shortsighted and ignorant argument out there. Minus SDSU and NDSU, the MVFC is nothing special (it will be in 2020 though ... ha).  The MVFC will get a 3rd team but don’t bring a bunch of crap from bisonville over here to try justify a 4th or 5th. It just doesn’t cut it this season.  

Damn

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Many 6-4 teams must lose, maybe even some 5-5 teams in their last game.

It's a long shot, but there's a chance.

Image result for there's a chance