SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

If you are a darling of the polls, which we currently are not.  Weber played JMU tough last season, that is what the pollsters know.  They beat E. Washington this year, the pollsters have heard of E Washington, big deal.

When we beat Weber, I bet Weber is still ranked ahead of us.

We weren't a "darling" of anyone in 2016 either.

10 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

If you are a darling of the polls, which we currently are not.  Weber played JMU tough last season, that is what the pollsters know.  They beat E. Washington this year, the pollsters have heard of E Washington, big deal.

Unfortunately this is likely the case.

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we finish 9-2 and don't get at least one home game, that will make the entire process a joke. Even Bison fans will say that.

Agreed.  I’d say 9-2 would be enough for a seed, but that’s just my Kelly green glasses.

31 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Agreed.

It’s the name on the jersey not what you have done.   

Also....anyone that can actually be competitive or more importantly beat the almighty UNI PANTHERS....should be immediately crowned champions. Or at least fast forwarded to the semis.  It’s an incredible feat to pull off. 

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we finish 9-2 and don't get at least one home game, that will make the entire process a joke. Even Bison fans will say that.

If we go 9-2 we should get a top 8 seed in my opinion and I think we will unless ISU craps the bed the rest of the year.  We do need some other teams we beat, Like Montana to finish strong to help.  If we only have 1 FCS loss, and that was to a team who in my opinion would probably roll most teams outside the top 15, don't get a top 8 seed that is crap.  ISU totally should have beaten Davis.  Man who would have thought a missed 27 yard FG by another team may cost us. 

We have a long ways to go yet, so I will worry about that problem if we do go 9-2.  Weber is going to be a battle, playing at NAU is also going to be a difficult game too.   I feel if we beat Weber and we lose another one to go 8-3 we are absolutely in the playoffs without a doubt and would be ridiculous if we weren't.   Beating SHSU at their place....and the fact we crushed Montana...……..that will still matter come playoff selection. 

The way I see it.  Weber is a playoff game.  8-3 may or may not get us in.  Too many variables. We lose to Weber I don't think we get in at 8-3.  Nobody cares about us.  9-2 we may get a seed.  Again too many variables to know yet.  Defense defense just shot down weber.

I'm so looking forward to this game.  I think this team makes another statement.

#bookit

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Need to beat Weber and run the table to get a seed.

10 hours ago, Dustin said:

With each week, I am feeling that this is going to happen.

Yes, we need to beat Weber. If we beat Weber,  we then need to beat the next team or we will lose more momentum in the eyes of the decision makers than we gained in the win to Weber. Because we haven't earned BS "voter respect" in the polls.

I have never understood the thought that you can beat a team that is ranked but if they are not ranked at the end of the season then it doesn't count as beating a ranked team. Isn't part of the reason they are not ranked at the end of the season because we beat them?

Yes we are independent but we are playing a Big Sky schedule - 8-3 gets us in. I think it is quite common knowledge that the 2015 committee screwed UND and it wasn't just UND fans that were pointing that out.   

I actually don't think it will matter because we are going to win out. Weber's is not what they were last year. Their best win is EW and a big part of that was because EW was without their All American quarterback.

The wild card in all of this is our special teams play, a blocked kick returned for a TD. a muffed punt or other mistakes that give the opposition great field position will kill us. As they say there are three components of every game, offense, defense and special teams - you win two of those three battles and you usually win the game. 

9 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I have lost track. Which one/s of the polls matter the most as far as seeding into the tournament? 

The Poll that starts to come out with a week or two left in the season done by the NCAA. In the mean time, they all go on favoritism, coaches temperament, what your team did in the last few years, guessing, attendance, quality losses, some of the teams wins - unless you are a favorite, marching band uniforms, road wins, student section, local teams, conference affiliation, cheer leaders, FBS wins, butt kicking, quality of mascot, and # of salty message board posters.

6 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Great point. This board is exceedingly good at downgrading our own accomplishments - and we do it week after week. It's amazing to see. 

We hand Montana one of the worst losses in the history of their program (worse than most FBS schools have beaten them) and we don't give ourselves credit. We rush for the second most yards in UND history (in history!!) and we downgrade it by talking about how bad our opponent is - even though we DOUBLED their average rush yards given up. And on and on. I'm mostly entertained by these types of comments, but there are times when I just shake my head at the overall attitude of many of the posters here. 

^^^^^^^  and then on top of that we repeat all this troll BS like somehow giving it some merit. 

7 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Great point. This board is exceedingly good at downgrading our own accomplishments - and we do it week after week. It's amazing to see. 

We hand Montana one of the worst losses in the history of their program (worse than most FBS schools have beaten them) and we don't give ourselves credit. We rush for the second most yards in UND history (in history!!) and we downgrade it by talking about how bad our opponent is - even though we DOUBLED their average rush yards given up. And on and on. I'm mostly entertained by these types of comments, but there are times when I just shake my head at the overall attitude of many of the posters here. 

There are a few wet blanket posters on here specifically that could degrade anything this team does.