SiouxSports.com Forum

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I've been watching this recurring debate for a while now and have been biting my tongue trying not to judge too quickly. Well, here goes: Me thinks more and more that Rudolph is turning into a bit of a scapegoat for Bubba and Schmidt as criticism of the latter two has become somewhat sacrilege because of all that they have legitimately done for the program.  I CAN'T STRESS THIS STRONGLY ENOUGH -- I AM NOT SAYING SOME OF THE CRITICISMS of the OC ARE NOT VALID but I also think nothing is as bad or good as the fan boys make them out to be as we break our ankles jumping on and off the bandwagon in game threads ( Ok, maybe the J.J. run was that good and more! )

Just spit balling here, but Rudy is the most "outsider" of the three top coaches and has the fewest good ol' boy connections in town and has absolutely no connection to UND's glory years of the 1990s and early 2000s.  So when things click, it's Bubba's doing, when things don't it's Rudy's fault...or the players' talents covered up for any ineptness. My hunch is their are hundreds of programs across the nation where this very same dynamic is playing out on fan message boards.

So my question is what is the deciding factor for coordinators on good teams?  Are they inherently good, or is it their players' talents that make them good coordinators or cover up for them if they are deemed "clueless"? Or is it an arm-chair-you-know-it when-you-see-it-gut-feel kind of thing?  

Some fans seem to focus on the good and dismiss the bad as flukes... others choose to magnify the bad and discount the good when it comes to our offensive series. For the former, it's as if they see what's going on as more of a team effort with more input and dynamics involved than just Rudy. They defer to UND's body of work over the past three years and see gradual improvement with some inevitable hiccups along the way. The latter seems to pin it on one guy -- who can't catch a break with them -- damned if he does and damned if doesn't.

There's just so much we don't know that is happening behind the scenes that lead our coaches to make the decisions they do. What may look like a no-brainer from the cheap seats...may not be so cut and dried when your down on the sideline wearing the head set or in the coaches' booth.

The team is currently 1-1 with games against legit Power 5 member Utah and MVFC cellar dweller Missouri State. UND was respectable against Utah on the road as evidenced by Utes' fans' biased assessments of the Fighting Hawks. UND demolished the lowly Bears of MSU at home.

Last year at this time we were 0-2 with the Yotes coming in. UND lost to Bowling Green last year by 1 point with a legit shot to win it, at a time when UND still was figuring out who they were as a team. The Yotes just beat Bowling Green by 8 points, going in with all the confidence of knowing how UND played against the Falcons last year.  They probably felt how we did going up against WYO in 2015.

Bottom line is that UND has acquitted itself quite well in the first two games of the year, with its full attention on the Yotes for this weekend. No matter how successful the team is this year  -- or not.... none of it should be pinned on one individual, IMHO.  Team game, team effort.

All that said... I love the passion that we fans have and that we try to hold our team accountable!  Go Hawks!

Good post.  Team game, team effort, for sure.  Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but ragging on one or two people ad nauseum when everyone is giving it their all striving for one goal--winning the National Title--gets old fast. 

Have really been impressed with Keaton thus far.  He's  playing like a senior--he's playing with poise and confidence and his passing has been on the money; night and day improvement just from last season.  I think his staying healthy will play a big part in how far we go this season.  BTW, I had the pleasure of sitting next to his (proud) grandparents at the game yesterday.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Just spit balling here, but Rudy is the most "outsider" of the three top coaches and has the fewest good ol' boy connections in town and has absolutely no connection to UND's glory years of the 1990s and early 2000s.  So when things click, it's Bubba's doing, when things don't it's Rudy's fault...or the players' talents covered up for any ineptness. My hunch is their are hundreds of programs across the nation where this very same dynamic is playing out on fan message boards.

So my question is what is the deciding factor for coordinators on good teams?  Are they inherently good, or is it their players' talents that make them good coordinators or cover up for them if they are deemed "clueless"? Or is it an arm-chair-you-know-it when-you-see-it-gut-feel kind of thing?  

Actually it's kind of the filpside here at Utah.  Whittingham has been here forever and it's Troy Taylor's first year as OC.  But fans are calling for Whitt to keep his paws off the offense and let us see what Taylor can do.  Whitt is brilliant at defense and special teams, but offense isn't his forte and he should just stay out.  And we can tell when he doesn't, because something will pop up on the offense that is uncharacteristic of Taylor and familiar, so we know its Whitt.

Good coordinators are a combination of good recruiters, good developers, good schemers and good X's and O's coaches.  Its pretty rare to find all 4 in a coordinator.  Harder to keep them (even at the highest FBS levels, because someone is going to offer them an HC position).  So generally want a head coach that is good at recruiting and hiring talented coordinators and coaches.  You want your coordinators to be good at schemes and adapting to schemes in game (X's and O's) and good at recruiting, evaluating the talent at hand and coordinating the coaches.  At the coaching level you want good teaching of fundamentals, developing players and teaching schemes (and recruiting).  Simple, neh? Add on to that you can only have  10 coaches total per NCAA. So if you can find a coordinator that doubles as a position coach like Troy Taylor who is OC and QB coach, bonus.

I guess what I am trying to say is enjoy the good, tolerate the bad, if you can, (like having a good recruiter, developer and schemer who is bad at X's and O's in game)  and focus on how you can keep the good things you do have.  

The most popular saying I see across every fan forum/blog/message board is "This is why we can't have nice things."  There is no pleasing all the fans all the time.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Good post.  Team game, team effort, for sure.  Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but ragging on one or two people ad nauseum when everyone is giving it their all striving for one goal--winning the National Title--gets old fast. 

Have really been impressed with Keaton thus far.  He's  playing like a senior--he's playing with poise and confidence and his passing has been on the money; night and day improvement just from last season.  I think his staying healthy will play a big part in how far we go this season.  BTW, I had the pleasure of sitting next to his (proud) grandparents at the game yesterday.

Been telling you guys Keaton is a stud... Some people just don't listen.  :p

• Upvote 4

Last wins for USD vs UND was in 2010 and 2005. UND has won 3 out of the last 5 games in Vermillion dating back to 2003. We are 1-1 in the DI era in Vermillion with our last win in 2008.

Bubba and the Whioux are gonna get rolled next Saturday in Vermillion.

This quote is from our Coyote buddy Yote53 over at AGS.

Gotta love it. Didn't they talk sh*t about beating us last year even thought they haven't won in GF since 1985 and guess who won the game. I guess they never learn.  UND is 25-19-3 in Vermillion. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Last wins for USD vs UND was in 2010 and 2005. UND has won 3 out of the last 5 games in Vermillion dating back to 2003. We are 1-1 in the DI era in Vermillion with our last win in 2008.

Gotta love it. Didn't they talk sh*t about beating us last year even thought they haven't won in GF since 1985 and guess who won the game. I guess they never learn.  UND is 25-19-3 in Vermillion. 

Actually pretty funny to go over there though. A lot of Bison fans that don't think USD has a change against our defense. I guess even if you beat a crappy MVFC team, you earn a little respect.

This game comes down to controlling Streveler. Limit Streveler and we will be ok. I don't want to get into a shootout kind of game. Have to imagine we will be dialing up a lot of pressure early. I definitely don't want to see UND playing from behind the whole game.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Actually pretty funny to go over there though. A lot of Bison fans that don't think USD has a change against our defense. I guess even if you beat a crappy MVFC team, you earn a little respect.

This game comes down to controlling Streveler. Limit Streveler and we will be ok. I don't want to get into a shootout kind of game. Have to imagine we will be dialing up a lot of pressure early. I definitely don't want to see UND playing from behind the whole game.

The part of his comment I find funny is not the winning its the "Gonna get rolled" part. We play tough games down there and hasn't dominated in their dome. I think its going to be a very close game. I doubt its a blowout by either team. Nice win for them against BG, we were a dropped pass in the endzone on a 2 pt conversion from beating them last year. As for their pounding of Drake, it is what it is, but we aren't Drake, and MSU foundout our defense isn't Missouri's. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This.

Sounds like Donnell is out and that hurts.  Streveler is 220 pounds of slipppery athleticism. With an entire LB crew of 200 pounds UND needs to somehow find a push.  Tall task.  They to be sound and make the tackle when's the chance arrives.  

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I also found that pretty interesting. That, and they throw in the only team to win for the Big Sky in this challenge is a team moving to the MVFC. We still represent the Big Sky (at least for this season), before we become a Big Sky Independent.

24 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I wouldn't take anything written on AGS very seriously as it is mostly a cesspool.  UND will be a tough game and I could see this one going either way.  I haven't had a chance to watch any UND action from this year so I am basing that off of last year.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, coyotecrazie5 said:

I wouldn't take anything written on AGS very seriously as it is mostly a cesspool.  UND will be a tough game and I could see this one going either way.  I haven't had a chance to watch any UND action from this year so I am basing that off of last year.

That site is a cesspool. I agree in that either way I think it will be a tight game. I am really looking forward to this one!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, coyotecrazie5 said:

I refer to it as Bisonville 2.0 I think we could have another double OT thriller.

• Like 1

I was initially worried about this game, and still am, but I think we win by 10.  I watched the first half of the USD vs. BG game last night, and USD got lucky with two BG  special teams turnovers, near the endzone, that USD capitalized on.  Bowling Green looked really bad, and their QB couldn't through the ball within 5 yards of his receivers.  Streveler is a threat though - he can extend plays and run for first down on broken plays regularly.  He will take off running any time the OL over pursues.   Guy reminds me A LOT of Huntly from Utah.  That experience should help.  In short, I think UND and USD are both better than last year, but the BG score was a little misleading IMO, and I think UND is better than Bowling Green.  Their kicker is absolutely garbage.  And UND will be winning the field position battle all day.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

With the way the Big Sky performed last weekend, it magnified the importance of this game for UND. I'm nervous as I think this is one of the true "pick-em" weekends of the year, with both teams being legitimate ranked / potential playoff teams. I do truly believe that UND has a better team than USD, but playing on the road turns the game into a coin flip.

Last weekend was brutal on the injury front, but I feel better about when they took place during the game. Both happened early enough, where UND played basically the entire game without either of them.

We'll find out a lot about both teams this weekend, can't wait.

23 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Keaton is really dialed in this year, he played really well again yesterday....on target with his throws, making good decisions and making plays and buying time with his legs.  I was actually ok running up the middle again on the first play against Missouri St.......setting it up for a big play over the middle on the first play when we are up against a better caliber team, and maybe that is this week. 

I predicted people would love Rudy this week against Missouri St, but then the haters would hate him again after SD (which I hope doesn't happen).   However my prediction this week is that Rudy has now seen how well Keaton is playing and  he uses the pass more at the beginning to set up the run against SD, and also gives Brady the start.  Brady deserves the start. 

This...so much this!  I like John a lot...but our offense is better with Brady as the feature back...find ways to get Brady and John on the field at the same time...I'm hopeful that's coming at some point this year!

• Upvote 3

Ah yes, UND Football, with the beloved North Dakota boy head coach, the stout-defense-minded defensive coordinator, and the offensive coordinator who couldn't call anything but a dive over left guard on first down and whose offense never quite satisfied or was asked to just become "ball custodians" with a lead. 

I'm thinking about Lennon, Schweigert, and Mussman. 

Who were you? 

;) 

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ah yes, UND Football, with the beloved North Dakota boy head coach, the stout-defense-minded defensive coordinator, and the offensive coordinator who couldn't call anything but a dive over left guard on first down and whose offense never quite satisfied or was asked to just become "ball custodians" with a lead. 

I'm thinking about Lennon, Schweigert, and Mussman. 

Who were you? 

;) 

I remember those days.  UND going into hostile arenas and shutting down the opponents offense and the crowd becoming quite.   Low scoring and walking out with a win.  we are getting close to having the depth to do this week in and week out. 

• Like 1