SiouxSports.com Forum

Game day: F'n Hawks vs Bears

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

My bad.  I incorrectly assumed the OC would be credited for calling great plays as much as he is derided for being so predictable. 

The reason Rudolph gets so much crap is that the playcalling is more often than not predictable. Yes, he has some great moments and there are times where everything he calls seems to work, but there are many, many times that the calls are run, run, pass with a 3 and out, rinse and repeat. 

6 minutes ago, Feff said:

Holy crap, you just can't give up on this. We get you want to marry the OC. I'm done with it. 

Outside of trying to establish the run against Utah, what has been wrong with the calls this season?  I agree they should have passed more against Utah but we have seen fantastic playcalling today. 

I just think putting up 24 points should deserve kudos from more than two people. It's obvious against FCS teams, UND has a much better balance and uses the wide amount of talent. 

Edit: Studruds didn't have the time last week that he does today. It's tough to pass consistently if your QB is always under pressure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

Outside of trying to establish the run against Utah, what has been wrong with the calls this season?  I agree they should have passed more against Utah but we have seen fantastic playcalling today. 

I just think putting up 24 points should deserve kudos from more than two people. It's obvious against FCS teams, UND has a much better balance and uses the wide amount of talent. 

He did try and establish the run early, can't blame Rudy for trying that out of the gate....as that is our identity.  But then he opened it up when the running wasn't working that well, nice job of adjusting.  The passing opened up the run.  I like that they put Brady in on the second drive and started establishing him.  I hope we start games with Brady in there right away as Santiago then is a great change of pace.  

Sitting here in the Alerus, little hazy from the fireworks. I love the Hawkerchiefs. Lights are nice, and the sound system is good. Loved the intro!! As for the game, too bad for the holding call towards the end it ended maybe a long field goal chance. Defense is playing great especially that turnover. And this team scored over 40 on an FBS team? Here's hoping for 30 more minutes of shutting down their offense.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Feff said:

The reason Rudolph gets so much crap is that the playcalling is more often than not predictable. Yes, he has some great moments and there are times where everything he calls seems to work, but there are many, many times that the calls are run, run, pass with a 3 and out, rinse and repeat. 

That series where they run, run, pass helps set up future series where they pass on first down, or play action pass on second down, or run a jet sweep, etc. UND wants to play conservative football on offense and depend on the defense to win. That is Bubba's design. Conservative football means running a lot. And it especially works well when you have quality running backs like UND has.