SiouxSports.com Forum

Da Bears

geaux_sioux

23 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You are the one making a huge deal of them putting up 43 points against an SEC team. So why should our team be worried about them in our building and your Bison have no worries. 

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The SEC West is far better than the SEC East and the Top of the SEC West is far far better than the bottom of the SEC East.  Its like comparing Illinois and Ohio State because they are in the BIG.  I watched the MO st - Mo game and there was very little tackling on either side.  We'll find out this week how good Mo State is, but saying MO is good because they are in SEC is ridiculous.  The top FBS teams ARE far better than the the top FCS teams, but a ton of FBS teams are along ways from the top.

Quote my post where I said they were good. You guys just love putting words in people's mouths and then arguing with those false narratives you created. 

I said I was impressed, that's it. Didn't say they were going to beat UND, didn't say they have somehow arrived as a force in FCS, my words were simply, I was impressed. That's it.

If you had been following MSU as closely as I gave for the past 8 years as a conference mate of NDSU's, you'd be impressed they put up 43 on anyone, let alone an SEC team. Give credit where credit is due, if UND would have put up 43 points against Utah I would have been damn impressed.

16 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Quote my post where I said they were good. You guys just love putting words in people's mouths and then arguing with those false narratives you created. 

I said I was impressed, that's it. Didn't say they were going to beat UND, didn't say they have somehow arrived as a force in FCS, my words were simply, I was impressed. That's it.

If you had been following MSU as closely as I gave for the past 8 years as a conference mate of NDSU's, you'd be impressed they put up 43 on anyone, let alone an SEC team. Give credit where credit is due, if UND would have put up 43 points against Utah I would have been damn impressed.

The big difference is that Utah has some semblance of a defense and an elite defensive line. I get what your saying but that was the worst SEC defense I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The big difference is that Utah has some semblance of a defense and an elite defensive line. I get what your saying but that was the worst SEC defense I've ever seen.

Based on what? I've looked up Mizzou scores, they aren't historically horrific on defense. They certainly aren't dominant, but they're not a sieve. If it makes you guys all feel better to completely dismiss your next opponent's performance against an FBS team as "anyone would have put up 43 against that defense" then you have the right to do so.

I watched the link to the game and I came away genuinely impressed with MSU's offense. As I said, I've been watching them play NDSU and following their scores since they were in the same conference as NDSU, that offense looks to be the most potent offense they've had in years. 

As I said, we'll see how it translates into wins and losses.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Based on what? I've looked up Mizzou scores, they aren't historically horrific on defense. They certainly aren't dominant, but they're not a sieve. If it makes you guys all feel better to completely dismiss your next opponent's performance against an FBS team as "anyone would have put up 43 against that defense" then you have the right to do so.

I watched the link to the game and I came away genuinely impressed with MSU's offense. As I said, I've been watching them play NDSU and following their scores since they were in the same conference as NDSU, that offense looks to be the most potent offense they've had in years. 

As I said, we'll see how it translates into wins and losses.

Exactly, time will tell. I do have a feeling this will be the worst Missou team in quite some time but let's let the season play out.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

Exactly, time will tell. I do have a feeling this will be the worst Missou team in quite some time but let's let the season play out.

They may very well be, but I feel like many on here are falling into the same trap that a lot of NDSU fans have fallen into over the years. You see some FCS teams have some success against FBS teams and you get an over-inflated view of how "close" FCS and FBS teams are. Let's not forget, this is a P5 team we are talking about in Mizzou. There is literally, not one player on MoSt's team that wouldn't have taken a scholarship offer to Mizzou if offered. They have a minimum of 22 more scholarship players. That's more than entire recruiting classes sometimes at an FCS school. 

Maybe I'm different in this thought than most, but it's exceedingly rare for an FCS team to put up a decent fight against P5 schools, look up the numbers, it nearly never happens.

As has been said, let's see how it plays out, but color me impressed with MoSt after week 1.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

They may very well be, but I feel like many on here are falling into the same trap that a lot of NDSU fans have fallen into over the years. You see some FCS teams have some success against FBS teams and you get an over-inflated view of how "close" FCS and FBS teams are. Let's not forget, this is a P5 team we are talking about in Mizzou. There is literally, not one player on MoSt's team that wouldn't have taken a scholarship offer to Mizzou if offered. They have a minimum of 22 more scholarship players. That's more than entire recruiting classes sometimes at an FCS school. 

Maybe I'm different in this thought than most, but it's exceedingly rare for an FCS team to put up a decent fight against P5 schools, look up the numbers, it nearly never happens.

As has been said, let's see how it plays out, but color me impressed with MoSt after week 1.

I completely agree with the top 25-40 FBS schools, but lets face it there are alot of BAD FBS schools.  There is no sport where coaching is more important  than it is with football.  A good coaching staff gets 2+2 to equal 5, a great coaching staff gets 2+2 to equal 6 and a bad coaching staff gets 2+2 to equal 3.   IMO Mizzou had a terrible defensive game plan, were slow to adjust, and need to work alot more on tackling and angles.  If Mizzou lined up against a top SEC West team last Saturday they lose by 55.

17 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

FYP, I really don't feel Bizon will be better this year than they were last year or few years prior.

See how you used the word feel there, like wishing and hoping and praying.

Anything can happen, but all indications are that this year's team will be better than last year. Very similar to UND's situation. QB is a year older, key players back from injury. You lost an NFL prospect corner and still feel good about the team, NDSU lost an all American end and still feels good about their team.

NDSU "should" be better this year, just as UND "should" be better.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

See how you used the word feel there, like wishing and hoping and praying.

Anything can happen, but all indications are that this year's team will be better than last year. Very similar to UND's situation. QB is a year older, key players back from injury. You lost an NFL prospect corner and still feel good about the team, MdDU lost an all American end and still feels good about their team.

NDSU "should" be better this year, just as UND "should" be better.

You can add slip and slide to that first sentence.

Not really sure what @Bison06 said that fired everyone up, this board can be weird sometimes.

Looks like outside of Frazier (backup TE), MSU will have everyone available this Saturday. I read earlier Larson could be available for USD, any chance it's this weekend? Is he back practicing. Also, outside of Norberg, any other injuries to note?

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Bison06 doesn't wear any glasses. It's just an honest disagreement after game one. It's not like I wasn't complimentary of MSUs offense. I was more surprised at how bad Mizzous defense was.

Both defenses were terrible, hope we play well this weekend. We owe them a thrashing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

There is literally, not one player on MoSt's team that wouldn't have taken a scholarship offer to Mizzou if offered. They have a minimum of 22 more scholarship players. That's more than entire recruiting classes sometimes at an FCS school. 

Agree on the first sentence but your second one is technically wrong. Most FCS teams have very close to the same amount of scholarship players as FBS teams, however the amount of the scholarship varies. The difference is a lot of FCS kids aren't on full rides, whereas every FBS kid is. 

I only mention it because I don't think people know the difference (though I'm positive you do). If an FCS program gave it's scholarships out evenly (in reality they don't), every scholarship player would have right around a 75% ride. This is obviously a difference when compared to FBS, and those players who are getting FBS looks likely get well over the 75%, but magically adding 22 new scholarship players when comparing the two is definitely a huge overstatement on the differences.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Agree on the first sentence but your second one is technically wrong. Most FCS teams have very close to the same amount of scholarship players as FBS teams, however the amount of the scholarship varies. The difference is a lot of FCS kids aren't on full rides, whereas every FBS kid is. 

I only mention it because I don't think people know the difference (though I'm positive you do). If an FCS program gave it's scholarships out evenly (in reality they don't), every scholarship player would have right around a 75% ride. This is obviously a difference when compared to FBS, and those players who are getting FBS looks likely get well over the 75%, but magically adding 22 new scholarship players when comparing the two is definitely a huge overstatement on the differences.

Bizon06 has used this reasoning many times before. He likes to make comments that let fans assume something worse. He is a troll and mostly with his comments he has the knifes edge against UND. But, some on here thinks he's feeding them valuable info.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bizon06 has used this reasoning many times before. He likes to make comments that let fans assume something worse. He is a troll and mostly with his comments he has the knifes edge against UND. But, some on here thinks he's feeding them valuable info.

Not really.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I guess I disagree. He's a level-headed poster even if I don't agree with everything he says. Might show a little bias one way or another on some posts but whatever. And if he didn't have at least a little bias against UND (real or imaginary), then I would have even less faith in what he was saying...

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I guess I disagree. He's a level-headed poster even if I don't agree with everything he says. Might show a little bias one way or another on some posts but whatever. And if he didn't have at least a little bias against UND, then I would trust him even less...

Bizon positives and or Hawks negatives, MVFC positives, and or Big Sky negatives, on and on. Not saying true facts are never mentioned. But the facts mentioned mostly fall into my first sentence.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bizon positives and or Hawks negatives, MVFC positives, and or Big Sky negatives, on and on. Not saying true facts are never mentioned. But the facts mentioned mostly fall into my first sentence.

I have been extremely complimentary of UND and their staff when appropriate. I've stated, as have many others, that given how last season ended for the Hawks it's fair to wonder if they were as good as their record showed. Outside of that I've been impressed with the UND football team and how quickly they've turned things around. As far as Bison negatives, since 2010 what is there to complain about or criticize? Truthfully, what would I say that would be negative about NDSU's football team? The off the field stuff that is years ago at this point, I was very critical of NDSU's players and thought the punishments handed out were appropriate in nearly every case. The only thing I can think of is a lack of breakaway talent at the reciever position. Other than that, they are one of the best coached, most disciplined football teams I have ever watched.

I think your hatred for all things NDSU is really clouding your judgement on what I am posting and for sure on how good NDSU's football team really is. In the past two day I've seen you post that NDSU was overrated last year, when it's a provable fact that they were at least one of the best four teams last year(I would argue top 2 and make a strong case). I've also seen you say NDSU is overrated this year with no real reason other than you want them to be rated lower to back up your statement. 

I'm not trolling, I'm giving my honest assessment of the situations,. Just because you disagree doesn't make me a troll. 

Whats the fun of a board like this if everyone agrees with everything, there would be no discussion. Boring if you ask me.

• Upvote 1