SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Utah

geaux_sioux

I get why the staff made the decisions they did but to have a realistic chance, at least 2 if not all 3 of those field goals need to be TD's to beat a team like Utah.

That being said, Taubs looked great. I don't get the criticism some give him. I think he'd be the first to admit last season he still hadn't regained all his leg strength from hip surgery he had, but he was pretty solid. Looks to be well on track this season.

Forgot to mention, my whipping boy Taubenheim was flawless yesterday. The ball was exploding off his foot. I hope he keeps it up.

I usually try and be as patient as I can be with Rudolph but I absolutely hated our offense yesterday. I didn't like the play calling and there was no rhythm. 

47 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Forgot to mention, my whipping boy Taubenheim was flawless yesterday. The ball was exploding off his foot. I hope he keeps it up.

I usually try and be as patient as I can be with Rudolph but I absolutely hated our offense yesterday. I didn't like the play calling and there was no rhythm. 

I'm glad you can be patient with him... my hair has gone from dark to gray to completely gone in four years. For UND to be considered a top level fcs program,  the play calling needs to change drastically.   I'm not taking style ( run heavy) but the predictability, the usage of personal....etc.  Missouri st DC must be licking his chops.....crowd the line on 1st and 2nd downs and back off a tad on 3rd down. It's actually that easy.    I feel a little sorry for Santiago ...he must know that there will be a wall of bigs waiting for him on those runs.   There's talent on offense....wished it was used properly.  Frustrating to say the least.   

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I'm glad you can be patient with him... my hair has gone from dark to gray to completely gone in four years. For UND to be considered a top level fcs program,  the play calling needs to change drastically.   I'm not taking style ( run heavy) but the predictability, the usage of personal....etc.  Missouri st DC must be licking his chops.....crowd the line on 1st and 2nd downs and back off a tad on 3rd down. It's actually that easy.    I feel a little sorry for Santiago ...he must know that there will be a wall of bigs waiting for him on those runs.   There's talent on offense....wished it was used properly.  Frustrating to say the least.   

still wondering what it was that bubba saw in rudy...bubba has seen a lot of oc's thru the years that he singled him out and offered him the job  or was it just that rudy fit the budget bubba was given when he took over?

11 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Last night's Utah team was far better than Iowa was last season, and comparisons to Iowa State are a joke.  LOTS of guys on that Utah team will make a living on Sundays in a couple years.

Sorry, not ready to make this comparison or take shots at the ag school in this way. At this point they have had way more success than us vs FBS schools. Not saying they would have beaten Utah, but not going to say they wouldn't based on track record. UND and our fans need to focus on UND until our program is in a spot to consistently argue otherwise.

Plenty of good and bad to take away from last night. No need to being the Bison into that conversation. At this point they have way more to back their arguments than we do. Let just focus on UND, the Big Sky, the FCS playoffs and the National Championship!

10 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what was your analyis of tobin/aplin...did bell play?

Considering fresh Tobin was lined up against an all American, potential first round draft pick and brick sh$thouse , he performed really well.  Kept Lowell in front of him most of the time.  Lowell was winning the push game, which he does every game,  but Tobin kept him away from the plays.  Tobin was also outweighed by 50 pounds.  Lowell had no sacks and 1 assisted tackle. That will be hands down Tobins toughest assignment of his career.   Glad to have him for 4 years...he is going to be a stud.  

Bell I believe played sparingly 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Considering fresh Tobin was lined up against an all American, potential first round draft pick and brick sh$thouse , he performed really well.  Kept Lowell in front of him most of the time.  Lowell was winning the push game, which he does every game,  but Tobin kept him away from the plays.  Tobin was also outweighed by 50 pounds.  Lowell had no sacks and 1 assisted tackle. That will be hands down Tobins toughest assignment of his career.   Glad to have him for 4 years...he is going to be a stud.  

Bell I believe played sparingly 

#11 for them was killing us all day. 

To answer the question posted a few pages ago if I would rather play a big time P5 (ranked) program or a G5 game.

In the long run, I would rather play the ranked FBS school, but at the moment I see that we only have 1 FBS win, and I would love to see that number get up to 5 quicker and would rather have the G5 games the next few years and get some wins.   Then schedule P5/ranked programs again as these games are really exciting to watch.

and wins against EITHER P5 or G5 will help recruiting.

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty much everyone but us has been heaping praise on Studsrud. We may have a bias against our own qb. Or maybe it's a trickle down from the anti Rudolph bias?

This, and the horrible start last season due in large part to the offensive line not meshing yet and throwing to very young, inexperienced receivers once Georges went down.

22 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I took from a couple guys their thoughts.  It was clear heading into this game a 'typical' game plan for the UND offense probably wasn't going to work.  So why did we do it?  I'm not sure.  Maybe I'm just a little less risk adverse than the staff.  We even had UofUUtes tell us we couldn't run on Utah, right to our face, we didn't listen.  I kinda disagree with UofUUtes that we couldn't throw on Utah, cause 1. we did, and 2. we pass protected damn well.  Just imagine, UND gets an interception on Utah's 1st drive of the game, which happened.  UND offense Play #1, play action pass to the speedster Izzy over the top for a TD, and schematically the rest of the game we are mentally prepared to run a little different game against Utah.  What a difference that would of made!!  

My take away is  -  UND is probably OK against the remaining regular season running a 'typical' offensive game plan.  We will not see that type of D-line again.  But say a team like Montana, or NDSU in the play-offs has our run game stopped, are we going to figure it out or just play to keep the game respectable, and that's my biggest issue with the game last night.

Man, you are spot on. If UND's OC/QB coach would let UND's senior QB play some true 50/50 run-pass football, UND could legitimately put up a few more touchdowns per game. I understand and respect the run focus philosophy of Bubba and Rudolph, but you have to also play to your players. Studsrud showed against Utah that he can handle 5 to 10 more passes per game and UND's coaches owe it to the players to take more shots and be more aggressive. UND has weapons on offense; play 50-50 ball and not this 75-25 ball that is predictable and doesn't utilize UND's 2017 players. Trust me, Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson need their touches, but so does Studsrud via the passing game. He was impressive against Utah. He's a mature, 4th year starter who could carry UND far this season if given the opportunity.

• Upvote 3

All the banter about Utah's team is interesting, but UND and Bubba should definitely not be about moral victories.

Bottom line: UND received a negative result. They lost.

UND needs to look at the tape and focus on improving what they did poorly; whether that's against Utah or Sacramento State, it doesn't matter.

UND offense needs to work on the running game (fact is it was nonexistent), TE passing game, and RB screen game. That was deficient against Utah.

UND defense needs to work on tackling, outside leverage on defense, defending read option runs, and pass coverage on third down. 

There is a lot to work on. If you get too caught up into the opponent quality, you will spiral downward fast. UND lost; that's all that matters. It sucks and it should feel !@#!$.

Move on and feel better by not justifying the loss versus Utah, but rather by crushing Missouri State. 

Plenty of work to do for September 9th. Embrace the grind and get better.

Go UND Fighting Hawks

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Man, you are spot on. If UND's OC/QB coach would let UND's senior QB play some true 50/50 run-pass football, UND could legitimately put up a few more touchdowns per game. I understand and respect the run focus philosophy of Bubba and Rudolph, but you have to also play to your players. Studsrud showed against Utah that he can handle 5 to 10 more passes per game and UND's coaches owe it to the players to take more shots and be more aggressive. UND has weapons on offense; play 50-50 ball and not this 75-25 ball that is predictable and doesn't utilize UND's 2017 players. Trust me, Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson need their touches, but so does Studsrud via the passing game. He was impressive against Utah. He's a mature, 4th year starter who could carry UND far this season if given the opportunity.

Studsrud plays his best when UNDs offense has to play catch up...that's because they need to stray away from the obvious runs that the defenses know are coming and put 9 in the box.  He gets in a comfortable "zone".  Like UND football said ...50/50.  There's a reason why his second half numbers are MUCH better.  Set up the run with passing to begin a game once.  On holms int...we all said to attack and go for 6!! Even the announcers mentioned it.  Nope!  Santiago.  Love Santiago but the D knew exactly what was coming.  Most our group that night were calling the plays before they happened.  This team has weapons!  Izzy is a weapon that was brought along to Utah to clap I guess.  The TEs are weapons but they don't practice to throw to them.....hence why studsrud doesn't necessarily look their way.....they don't practice it.  Use them!!!!  It is so frustrating!   The three headed rb crew should put up amazing numbers if utilized right. As should some TEs and WRs.  Keaton is a senior and looked extremely confident and calm against Utah. He oozes leadership to go along with great huddle presence. This is his last year and should be primed for a great year.....utilize it!! 

44 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

The OC at Utah was the QB coach at EWU for one year (2016). Beau Baldwin is at Cal as OC there. That's the guru you're speaking of.

No.  I'm thinking of Troy Taylor.  He was the co- OC at e wash...and qb coach as well.  The main play caller however.  

On 9/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, SiouxHawk17 said:

I think my biggest takeaway from the game was Studsrud. I thought he played a damn good game. He can sling the ball while rolling out of the pocket. His pocket presence was great. Sensed pressure, and adjusted accordingly. The moment did not seem too big for him.

Walking out of the stadium after the game....a couple of different Utah fan said our QB looked good.

• Upvote 3