SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Utah

geaux_sioux

54 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I took from a couple guys their thoughts.  It was clear heading into this game a 'typical' game plan for the UND offense probably wasn't going to work.  So why did we do it?  I'm not sure.  Maybe I'm just a little less risk adverse than the staff.  We even had UofUUtes tell us we couldn't run on Utah, right to our face, we didn't listen.  I kinda disagree with UofUUtes that we couldn't throw on Utah, cause 1. we did, and 2. we pass protected damn well.  Just imagine, UND gets an interception on Utah's 1st drive of the game, which happened.  UND offense Play #1, play action pass to the speedster Izzy over the top for a TD, and schematically the rest of the game we are mentally prepared to run a little different game against Utah.  What a difference that would of made!!  

My take away is  -  UND is probably OK against the remaining regular season running a 'typical' offensive game plan.  We will not see that type of D-line again.  But say a team like Montana, or NDSU in the play-offs has our run game stopped, are we going to figure it out or just play to keep the game respectable, and that's my biggest issue with the game last night.

We haven't figured it out in how many years now?  Bubba has done a wonderful job turning around a mess, but I have less respect for him after seeing the lack of adjustments - not just in this game but from last year to this year.  Play to win and when the dives up the middle get one yard it is time for someone to get a clue.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I took from a couple guys their thoughts.  It was clear heading into this game a 'typical' game plan for the UND offense probably wasn't going to work.  So why did we do it?  I'm not sure.  Maybe I'm just a little less risk adverse than the staff.  We even had UofUUtes tell us we couldn't run on Utah, right to our face, we didn't listen.  I kinda disagree with UofUUtes that we couldn't throw on Utah, cause 1. we did, and 2. we pass protected damn well.  Just imagine, UND gets an interception on Utah's 1st drive of the game, which happened.  UND offense Play #1, play action pass to the speedster Izzy over the top for a TD, and schematically the rest of the game we are mentally prepared to run a little different game against Utah.  What a difference that would of made!!  

My take away is  -  UND is probably OK against the remaining regular season running a 'typical' offensive game plan.  We will not see that type of D-line again.  But say a team like Montana, or NDSU in the play-offs has our run game stopped, are we going to figure it out or just play to keep the game respectable, and that's my biggest issue with the game last night.

To be fair... Your pass protect was OK.  If you rewatch the game, Studs spent a lot of time scrambling for his life and still made some amazing passes.  Honestly, I was incredibly impressed by his footwork and passing.  That TD series had 2 beautiful passes bought by time scrambling outside the pocket.  Even the short lob at the end for the TD Studs had dropped way back out of the pocket.  But as far as having great pass protection means no pocket collapse.

As far as the game plan, I can get a coach wanting to stick to basics first game.  The crux is most FCS team's first games are usually their hardest, though.

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Last night's Utah team was far better than Iowa was last season, and comparisons to Iowa State are a joke.  LOTS of guys on that Utah team will make a living on Sundays in a couple years.

So what? NDSU beat the 2016 Hawkeyes and dominated them statistically (239 yards rushing to Iowa's 34). UND lost to Utah by three scores and gave up 500 yards of offense.

1 minute ago, Gothmog said:

So what? NDSU beat the 2016 Hawkeyes and dominated them statistically (239 yards rushing to Iowa's 34). UND lost to Utah by three scores and gave up 500 yards of offense.

I would rather lose to an FBS and win in Frisco than beat an FBS team and not win it all. We played hard, lost to a p5 team and left with 450k. Not a season breaker by any means. 

14 minutes ago, Irish said:

We haven't figured it out in how many years now?  Bubba has done a wonderful job turning around a mess, but I have less respect for him after seeing the lack of adjustments - not just in this game but from last year to this year.  Play to win and when the dives up the middle get one yard it is time for someone to get a clue.  

UND outscored opponents 188-107 in the 2nd half last year. The only two teams (out of 13) to outscore UND after halftime were Stony Brook (6-2) and Richmond (20-7).

Seems to make they are doing something right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RavenousUte said:

To be fair... Your pass protect was OK.  If you rewatch the game, Studs spent a lot of time scrambling for his life and still made some amazing passes.  Honestly, I was incredibly impressed by his footwork and passing.  That TD series had 2 beautiful passes bought by time scrambling outside the pocket.  Even the short lob at the end for the TD Studs had dropped way back out of the pocket.  But as far as having great pass protection means no pocket collapse.

As far as the game plan, I can get a coach wanting to stick to basics first game.  The crux is most FCS team's first games are usually their hardest, though.

You could say the same thing about your QB, too, and his pass protection.

We have an experienced offense, and that's why some or most were expecting more than the basics.

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

You could say the same thing about your QB, too, and his pass protection.

We have an experienced offense, and that's why some or most were expecting more than the basics.

No arguments there... one of the reasons we continue to be worried about our inexperienced O-line.

By the way my comment was meant to be a compliment of your QB's abilities.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

UND outscored opponents 188-107 in the 2nd half last year. The only two teams (out of 13) to outscore UND after halftime were Stony Brook (6-2) and Richmond (20-7).

Seems to make they are doing something right.

I didn't say they weren't doing anything right.  I'm saying I am disappointed in the lack of adjustments made.  Look - we have enough talent that in most games we don't need a lot of adjustments and our offense pounds the rock very well - we have an All-American and All-Conference running backs to show for it.  It's the games last year and now this year where running up the middle produces 1 yard that we seem stymied.  We'll stick with second and 9 for a long long time - which puts us in a hole every possession. It's what keeps us good, but not yet great.  I have given up on the O coordinator, but had hoped Bubba would step it up.  For sure we are going to run into other games in which we need to adjust and have absolutely no will to do so.  

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I feel the only way some will be happy with Studsrud is if he throws a touchdown pass blind folded, just to prove he isn't locked on a WR.  

If it's a 20+ yard gain, I'll be impressed.  Anything under?  Meh.

12 minutes ago, Irish said:

I didn't say they weren't doing anything right.  I'm saying I am disappointed in the lack of adjustments made.  Look - we have enough talent that in most games we don't need a lot of adjustments and our offense pounds the rock very well - we have an All-American and All-Conference running backs to show for it.  It's the games last year and now this year where running up the middle produces 1 yard that we seem stymied.  We'll stick with second and 9 for a long long time - which puts us in a hole every possession. It's what keeps us good, but not yet great.  I have given up on the O coordinator, but had hoped Bubba would step it up.  For sure we are going to run into other games in which we need to adjust and have absolutely no will to do so.  

Absolutely agree. We have the talent to be a very dynamic offense; just need an offensive coordinator who can maximize the talent he is given.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, shep said:

My concern is come playoff time and EVERY team KNOWS we are a running team and they put 8-9 in a box and FORCE Studs to be the guy. That's the issue. Last night, I and about 15 others at a local bar in town, saw 9 in the box; Studs looks like he may audible as he turns to his RB's. Then takes the snap and HANDS off to one of them.  Maybe he doesn't have audible rights, but teams are going to work hard to make him beat them. I'm not positive he can...and I don't like seeing the WR/TE's continue to drop passes. We win the playoff game if they make catches but he needs to make the passes too.

I could be wrong but I saw only one drop pass to TE's....Cloyd.

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I recall last year UND fans poo-poo'ing NDSU's win over Iowa as the Hawkeyes being over-rated and not as good as advertised.  Now we're crowning Utah national champions based on one season-opening game against an FCS opponent?  That horrible Iowa team managed to defeat a pretty good Michigan squad late in the season last year.  

Yea but it feels nice to pump your own tires.....

• Upvote 1

A couple issues I noticed from last night: Our OL was catching guys instead of trying to move them. Even in the run game our guys weren't physical enough. I don't care who is lined up across from you, you've got to at least try and move them. Demon got blown up on a pull by a DB.  He probably had 100 lbs on the guy and got smacked right in his mouth and folded line a lawn chair. He needs to find some heart because he's got too much talent to play soft like that. I get that Utah has a special DL but we can do better than that.

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

A couple issues I noticed from last night: Our OL was catching guys instead of trying to move them. Even in the run game our guys weren't physical enough. I don't care who is lined up across from you, you've got to at least try and move them. Demon got blown up on a pull by a DB.  He probably had 100 lbs on the guy and got smacked right in his mouth and folded line a lawn chair. He needs to find some heart because he's got too much talent to play soft like that. I get that Utah has a special DL but we can do better than that.

what was your analyis of tobin/aplin...did bell play?

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what was your analyis of tobin/aplin...did bell play?

Our OL as a whole got tossed around in the run game. I didn't see anyone getting any push.

Also, we left a lot of points on the table in the first quarter. Had a legit opportunity to be up 14-7. Instead it was 6-7. That changed the way Utah was able to play. If they were trying to keep pace they would have been more mistake prone.