SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Utah

geaux_sioux

54 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Utah>Iowa>Iowa State.  None of the 5 Buffalo championship teams could beat this Utah squad.  Very proud of our guys for keeping their fans in their seats to the very end.

Last night's Utah team was far better than Iowa was last season, and comparisons to Iowa State are a joke.  LOTS of guys on that Utah team will make a living on Sundays in a couple years.

39 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I didn't follow the game thread during the game -- never do -- too many cliff divers for my liking. I do like going back and reading them after a big come from behind win. Entertaining.

Things I saw on TV that I liked:

Holm's INT

Sacks against a Power 5 ranked team ... can't wait to add Greely to the mix against FCS foes

Tank and Cieslak eating up blocks and getting through to the QB and RBs

Disterhaupt is a beast and will be even better once Larson and Rastas and few others enter the mix.

Tamas Stewart's de-helmeter -- clean and violent.

Taubs Taubs Taubs.... touch backs and field goals all day

Studs connections when the play book was opened up in the second half.

Wanzek and Toivonnen.  Add Stanley and Adeoti to the mix and look out!

A couple times when Santiago lined up outside and caught passes in space.

Decision to go over the top to Feidler for a TD instead of continuing to pound into the Great Wall of Utah during goal-to -go

Punting and punt coverage was decent.

Punt receiving was less nerve wracking last night

Sustained drives in the first quarter kept the defense fresh.

Olivera's relentless push after contact.

Pass protection by the OL

Things I didn't like:

Key drops by receivers and TEs

Norberg's injury

Studs missing a wide open Feidler over the middle that would have gone for a TD.

Settling to two FGs when we got deep in the red zone

Punting with 8 minutes to go... need to have something in our arsenal in those situations (No, not a double reverse)

Mis-timed jet sweeps looked brutal 

Wish our WRs could and would block like Utah's, minus the holding that the Utes got nailed for.

Missed tackles... were the Utes wearing Teflon unis or was I having flashbacks to 2013?

I found Taubs' performance encouraging. His consistency will be huge if he can maintain. 

Kind of reiterating things I already touched on, but what was really exciting is the things UND did well last night (Secondary, Special Teams), were question marks some had going into the year. Where UND struggled (Line play), were areas I really have no concerns when playing FCS level competition. UND will be able to run against anyone remaining on their schedule, will also be able to stop the run against anyone on their schedule.

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Kind of reiterating things I already touched on, but what was really exciting is the things UND did well last night (Secondary, Special Teams), were question marks some had going into the year. Where UND struggled (Line play), were areas I really have no concerns when playing FCS level competition. UND will be able to run against anyone remaining on their schedule, will also be able to stop the run against anyone on their schedule.

I agree.   Starting next week.  2 100 yd rushers

8 minutes ago, UND15 said:

Anyone know why Izzy didn't play? Thought his speed could have been helpful on our jet sweeps instead of using Johanneson.

Because Johanneson looks so fast running the jet sweep?  JK, the jet sweep with he and mercer looked slow and poor timing.  I don't think any of the Freshman played.

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

IMG_2875.GIF

The Buffalo squad might of had a slim to non chance IFFFFF: 

The sophmore Q Huntley didn't replace the senior Q,

If Carrington would of had to serve a game or two suspension for driving crooked,

And the Hawks with Harris would of had a game that went to the last play.

But, that game is over.

The Buffalos have a cupcake home stad except for SD. A few though road games. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I didn't follow the game thread during the game -- never do -- too many cliff divers for my liking. I do like going back and reading them after a big come from behind win. Entertaining.

Disterhaupt is a beast and will be even better once Larson and Rastas and few others enter the mix.

Norberg's injury

Any idea on why Rastas did not play?  Did not see Geier either.  How about Norbergs injury?  Will Larson be back?

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The Buffalo squad might of had a slim to non chance IFFFFF: 

The sophmore Q Huntley didn't replace the senior Q,

If Carrington would of had to serve a game or two suspension for driving crooked,

And the Hawks with Harris would of had a game that went to the last play.

But, that game is over.

The Buffalos have a cupcake home stad except for SD. A few though road games. Time will tell.

I'm not even debating if it's true or not, but there is absolutely no way to know right now how good that Utah team you guys played last night is or will end up. Without letting the season play out any comments like the one I quoted above are strictly self serving and only made to make the OP feel better about a loss. Maybe Utah is a top 10 team, maybe they don't win another game this year. Beating an FCS team by 3 scores isn't proof of anything, can we agree on that? Let the season play out at least a little before saying that Utah team is the best FBS team either NDSU or UND has ever played and would beat the best FCS team of all time(arguably). Fair?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Iowa ended 2016 ranked 41st by Sagarin. Time will tell where Utah finishes and not that it means anything at this point, but they are starting the season at 24.

I couldn't agree more, I'm just saying it's way too early to be making any statements like the OP did. For the record I believe that Iowa team was in the top 15 heading into that game if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

I'm not even debating if it's true or not, but there is absolutely no way to know right now how good that Utah team you guys played last night is or will end up. Without letting the season play out any comments like the one I quoted above are strictly self serving and only made to make the OP feel better about a loss. Maybe Utah is a top 10 team, maybe they don't win another game this year. Beating an FCS team by 3 scores isn't proof of anything, can we agree on that? Let the season play out at least a little before saying that Utah team is the best FBS team either NDSU or UND has ever played and would beat the best FCS team of all time(arguably). Fair?

The 1930 Army team is the best team we played. They went 9-1-1 and lost to national champion Notre Dame 7-6.

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Iowa was overrated just like the Bizon were.

Iowa wasn't a top 15 team, agreed. Bison overrated? Agree to disagree. Lost to the champion in the national semifinals and beat the other team who made it to the championship, I pretty easy argument to make for NDSU being the #2 team in the country last year.

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

Utah>Iowa>Iowa State.  None of the 5 Buffalo championship teams could beat this Utah squad.  Very proud of our guys for keeping their fans in their seats to the very end.

I recall last year UND fans poo-poo'ing NDSU's win over Iowa as the Hawkeyes being over-rated and not as good as advertised.  Now we're crowning Utah national champions based on one season-opening game against an FCS opponent?  That horrible Iowa team managed to defeat a pretty good Michigan squad late in the season last year.  

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Yet when NDSU has beat an FBS team early on in a season they constantly use that FBS team's accomplishments from the previous season to gloat about and compare to. They completely ignore the fact that it's an entirely different team from the year before. Worse yet, they then continue to tack on anyone else the said team beats later on in the season as someone they're better than as well. Any legitimate football follower knows certain teams match up much differently to different opponents. And it's mind boggling how much one team can evolve throughout the season. Sometimes it can be a completely different team by the end of the year. Comparing scores is NDSU's forte. #BringOnBama

7 minutes ago, LeaveNoDoubt said:

Who said anything about crowning them natty champs?? In the quote you highlated "Utah>Iowa>Iowa state" that's the conversation. Typical bizen guy making up words and stories to make your opinion sound better. Hold up some more "bring on bama" signs 

You're kidding, right?  

• Upvote 1