SiouxSports.com Forum

Utah Predictions

UND Fan

39 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

My cup is half full as well but I'm not about to say Utah is ripe for the picking like Wyoming was. That's all I'm saying.

A QB making his first college start in a new offense with a inexperienced OL.  That is about as ripe as we will find for a highly regarded program.  

What converns me is our OL.  Still a question mark even with some experience.   If we can physically play with this DL, we will be ok the rest of the year.  

Utes- 27

Hawks- 24

12 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I fear that the attitude of most on this board mirrors the attitude of the UND coaches and players:

Utah 31

UND 3

If UND actually believes they are a top 10 FCS team, and plays accordingly, it will be a lot closer.

Bubba will have the boys focused and ready.  If anything that I know will happen.  

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND plays with Utah till middle of the third quarter, then Utah's depth shows it's advantage. UND losses 37 - 20. No serious injuries for either team.

This is the way I'm leaning, except maybe a little more low scoring (such as 31-17 or so).  However, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a game that UND can win, but they really need to play with limited mistakes and make the big plays (while limiting big plays by Utah).  I know, dynamite analysis Hambone......

My main concerns going into the game would be our inexperience at the ILB position and how our OL will line up against their stout DL.......

1 hour ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Bubba will have the boys focused and ready.  If anything that I know will happen.  

They are focused and they are ready.  No questions there 

My biggest question and always has been...OC.  If Rudolph can call a GREAT game, that will help immensely. Huge task but possible. Trying to get push on Utah's front will be extremely tough, if not nearly impossible. When Utah goes to a 5 man front they will go 265,300,325,330 and 265 pound animals.  UND needs to counter act that size....screen  passes, two step three step dumps to the TEs. ....etc.    They're not just big,  but they're as talented as a group in college football that you'll see. Und NEEDS the offense to sustain drives to keep the D fresh.   Utahs offense doesnt huddle so the d line wont be able to rotate as they would like.  Unds offense is key. 

On paper this matchup looks very overwhelming.  UND will need quite a few things to go their way but UND brings in a very experienced ball club that knows how to win and a senior class loaded with leadership.    Momentum swings are a weird phenomena in sports....anything can happen. 

-Give 100%

-no injuries 

- make Huntleys mom uncomfotable ;) 

-shock the college football world!! 

TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

They are focused and they are ready.  No questions there 

My biggest question and always has been...OC.  If Rudolph can call a GREAT game, that will help immensely. Huge task but possible. Trying to get push on Utah's front will be extremely tough, if not nearly impossible. When Utah goes to a 5 man front they will go 265,300,325,330 and 265 pound animals.  UND needs to counter act that size....screen  passes, two step three step dumps to the TEs. ....etc.    They're not just big,  but they're as talented as a group in college football that you'll see. Und NEEDS the offense to sustain drives to keep the D fresh.   Utahs offense doesnt huddle so the d line wont be able to rotate as they would like.  Unds offense is key. 

On paper this matchup looks very overwhelming.  UND will need quite a few things to go their way but UND brings in a very experienced ball club that knows how to win and a senior class loaded with leadership.    Momentum swings are a weird phenomena in sports....anything can happen. 

-Give 100%

-no injuries 

- make Huntleys mom uncomfotable ;) 

-shock the college football world!! 

TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!!

Agreed.  Bubba and Rudolph need to call the game to win.  Like Richmond minus the double reverse.  Don't be conservative. Last few FBS games have been pretty vanilla.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hambone said:

If we loose by this 35, so be it, we take the $450G to bank, and look forward to winning a bunch of games and to a great season.

If we loose by 20, the same.

If the game is close for the most part, the same, and we have a little more confidence.

But it will still be one day at a time!

25 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Wow, some daunting things in that preview.  BUT, those numbers are great and everything...but they mean ZERO when it comes to this match-up with these players and these coaches on this year's version of both teams.  Let's see what UND can do!

21 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Hansen going to play? 

My gut says, I don't think he will.  Whit said anyone who is not 100% won't play, and Hansen was 80% last week.  And by Whit, I mean coach Whittingham.  I just assume everyone knows who our coach is:blush:

31 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Wow, some daunting things in that preview.  BUT, those numbers are great and everything...but they mean ZERO when it comes to this match-up with these players and these coaches on this year's version of both teams.  Let's see what UND can do!

You said the key phrase.....match-up. It's how teams match-up against each other, being assignment sound, and focused. 

41 minutes ago, RavenousUte said:

Whittingham won't say.... he never says on injuries...

29 minutes ago, DantheUte said:

My gut says, I don't think he will.  Whit said anyone who is not 100% won't play, and Hansen was 80% last week.  And by Whit, I mean coach Whittingham.  I just assume everyone knows who our coach is:blush:

When a coach can only muster up a 'decent' for describing his opponent, I don't think Hansen plays.  I hope Utah continues to plan to play a lot of players in this game.

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

When a coach can only muster up a 'decent' for describing his opponent, I don't think Hansen plays.  I hope Utah continues to plan to play a lot of players in this game.

To be fair he praised UND as much more than decent...

"Tough football team. They are physical. They won a bunch of games last season. They have just about everybody back. They are very well coached. They are a quality football team and by all means all of our focus is on them and nobody else. That has been the case all of fall camp. As soon as we started to dial in on our opponents instead of just working against each other, it has been all about North Dakota."

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Experience with Whittingham tells me not to read too much into that.  He is a stickler when it comes to being focused on the opponent at hand-as evidenced that Utah has lost one OOC game since joining the Pac.  My take on Whit not playing anyone who isn't 100% is that at the time there were only 2 projected starters who were known to be injured and he was most likely referring to them, and also that Whit isn't going to risk a long term injury to a key player that would hurt us in conference play.  I don't think there's much of a chance that Utah overlooks ND, but we are dealing with 18-21 year old kids who are tough to keep on task.