SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Anything come out on Griffin?  Noticed pre-grame she seemed to be favoring knee / leg, but then jogged into locker room so I'm lost.  I'm glad Mattson has gotten a chance and played well (not great).  She's athletic and gets to a lot of balls defensively.  However hate to see a senior miss their last home games.

Lower body injury according to und sports.com

Next year, the Big Sky goes to a set host on the volleyball tournament.  Northern Colorado will be hosting.

In the Summit, the top six teams go to Denver, which won the regular season crown.  The Summit seems to play Friday to Sunday in the regular season and postseason.  No more Thursday night conference games.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Next year, the Big Sky goes to a set host on the volleyball tournament.  Northern Colorado will be hosting.

In the Summit, the top six teams go to Denver, which won the regular season crown.  The Summit seems to play Friday to Sunday in the regular season and postseason.  No more Thursday night conference games.

So next year the tournament will be in Grand Forks as they will win the SL regular season crown.:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

About a week or a week-and-a-half ago, I looked at the Summit League website to see how the conference tournament host is determined.  At that time, Denver was already announced as the host, but Oral Roberts was leading the standings, and the season wasn't even over.  So, based on that, the tournament is at a pre-determined location.

I also meant to look into the conference schedule to see how league games are organized.  If they are truly Friday to Sunday, I think UND Athletics Department would take issue with that, with hockey games on Friday and Saturday nights.  I really liked the Thursday night/Saturday mid-day schedule.  Maybe UND will get to choose it's game nights/days.  I would think Denver would prefer to not play on Friday, also being a hockey school.

I wasn't a big fan of the Saturday 11am starts when there was football the same day.  I'm a football and tailgating season pass holder, so going to volleyball in the morning wasn't really an option.  The problem is, I'm not sure what the solution is.  A Sunday match would be better, but I also know people that might be in town for football or hockey could be heading out of town before the match, depending on the time.  Tough call.  

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

About a week or a week-and-a-half ago, I looked at the Summit League website to see how the conference tournament host is determined.  At that time, Denver was already announced as the host, but Oral Roberts was leading the standings, and the season wasn't even over.  So, based on that, the tournament is at a pre-determined location.

Denver has won the regular season and tournament each of the past three season and their looking for four.  Perhaps the Summit gives the previous champion team hosting rights.  Last year Denver hosted too.

Here's a link to the hosting announcement.  Seems the Summit gives previous conference winners some benefits.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/general/2017-18/releases/20170720i0mo1k