SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

SiouxVolley

The issue I see staring us in the face is that we haven't found a suitable replacement for Moser.  Julia K must not be 100%, or at least isn't playing up to her pre-injury self, and Amelia Johnson is too green to fill the role of Moser/Julia K sufficiently.  I'm guessing Pryor is figuring they can still have a highly successful season without pulling any red shirts (or they're not any better than those that are playing).  There's a secondary development that's started recently that I am not in favor of, and that is Dooley playing one position of back row.  My only guess is that Pryor is trying to do her a favor to potentially advance her chances of post-college playing (Olympic tryout?  Beach circuit? (is that a thing?)) by making her a more well-rounded player.  Trouble is, she's not that great of a server - yeah, she doesn't error generally, but they're super easy to dig.  Then, when the opponent gets in system easily (because of the soft serve), they attack right at Dooley, who's a pretty poor back row player due to her height.  Pryor's wasting a rotation in my opinion, and it's not in the best interest of the team.

The loss last night may have end of season repercussions, as we are all aware.  Gotta root for the other good teams in the South Division (NAU, PSU) to hand SAC two losses, while we remain at one loss.

Lexi Ahrens of Virginia, MN, a Middle Hitter making some waves in the AAU circuit, has already committed, but she probably won't be the blocker that Dooley has been.  Blocking seemed to be UND's strong point last night, while Sac St had a court full of Merseli types. 

UND dropped to #50 on  Massey after last night, while  Sac St rose to only #71 as they had early season losses to bad teams.  Need two losses by Sac St to host the Big Sky tournament, but Sac only have one more challenging game and that is Portland St.  We need other Big Sky teams to vastly Improve and challenge the Hornets.  Confident that UND can beat Sac St on our home court, but doesn't look like we will get a chance.  The dream of going undefeated in the Big Sky is gone, and that might have been needed to host.

Effectively UND is now three games behind Sac St.  The games vs the Montanas should have been a chance to get reserves in, but now this team needs to be firing on all cylinders come the BSC tournament.  As Pryor said, seven points separates UND from an unbeaten conference season, but we're effectively in 4th place.  Sac St and Portland St should breeze through the rest of their seasons, as Idaho is the only team that has much of a chance to make a dent in their remaining schedules.  Portland St plays at Sac St once, but we need more losses from both of them.  Sac St became the prohibitive favorite to host the tournament after last weekend.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:26 AM, Dustin said:

There's a secondary development that's started recently that I am not in favor of, and that is Dooley playing one position of back row.  My only guess is that Pryor is trying to do her a favor to potentially advance her chances of post-college playing (Olympic tryout?  Beach circuit? (is that a thing?)) by making her a more well-rounded player.  Trouble is, she's not that great of a server - yeah, she doesn't error generally, but they're super easy to dig.  Then, when the opponent gets in system easily (because of the soft serve), they attack right at Dooley, who's a pretty poor back row player due to her height.  Pryor's wasting a rotation in my opinion, and it's not in the best interest of the team.

While the thought of Dooley playing past this year is a nice idea, I seriously doubt Prior would do anything that would be +Dooley/-UND. He has one goal, figure out how to be the best in the Big Sky in November. It's fun to talk about, but an at-large NCAA bid isn't happening, we're in an AQ conference. Last year he tried things out early, some worked and some didn't. By the end of the conference schedule he had things clicking. Now is the time to figure out what might work and what won't. Dooley out of the backrow is an interesting idea, but I haven't seen it. Did they have her hitting a red or out of the pipe? Regardless, by tournament time I'm sure they will be doing whatever works best.

On 10/6/2017 at 12:11 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Lexi Ahrens of Virginia, MN, a Middle Hitter making some waves in the AAU circuit, has already committed, but she probably won't be the blocker that Dooley has been.  Blocking seemed to be UND's strong point last night, while Sac St had a court full of Merseli types. 

I haven't seen Ahrens play, but I wouldn't worry about her blocking right now. I saw Dooley before UND. Dooley in high school wasn't the blocker that UND's Dooley has been. :-) Who knows how Ahrens will turn out once she gets here, but I wouldn't write anyone off yet. She could end up being even better than Faith (wouldn't that be nice :0).