SiouxSports.com Forum

"god" is now a Devil

Let'sGoHawks!

My guesses would be Paul Martin and Brian Gionta. :)

I don't know of many NHL players that would mess with Gionta :D What does that wink mean?

I think what PCM and some others are saying about the physical play ZP has received, is not that he is going to the NHL to get rid of it, but he is going to the NHL because he doesn't want to tear up his knee, shoulder etc... and miss his chance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what PCM and some others are saying about the physical play ZP has received, is not that he is going to the NHL to get rid of it, but he is going to the NHL because he doesn't want to tear up his knee, shoulder etc... and miss his chance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactomundo!

This could be considered a desperation move on the part of the debbies. Only a few games left in the regular season. Defending champs jockeying for playoff position should have their playoff roster set by now. Debbies are in trouble if they expect a young college kid to immediately make the jump and provide the offensive spark they need. It's just too much to ask of anyone.

It's too bad Zach and any others who leave early didn't sit down and talk with former Sioux and Black Hawk great, Troy Murray. Between periods of an earlier game this season Tim O'Keefe Troy about what he's doing now that he's out of the NHL. Eventually he got around to talking about his leaving the Sioux early to sign with the Black Hawks. It wasn't till later that he discovered what he was missing by leaving UND prematurely. He said the Sioux hockey "family" was something very special that he could never get back, but at that young age with a pro team waving $$ in a kids face he bit and now he wished he hadn't. For all of you who didn' see Troy play, you missed one of our special players. His years in the NHL prove that out.

DG

Marty is absolutely 100% dead on here. If I want to cheap shot a guy and take my chances with the League and if I know that I will not have to fight or that I will get the living crap kicked out of me, I'll probably take my chances with the League.

One good butt kicking goes a long way to preventing cheap shots; it is much more of a deterrent that anything the league is willing to implement.

Get rid of that idiotic instigator rule and the cheaps shots will decrease.

20 games and .5 million $ for a fight?:)

A bit extreme, wouldn't you say?

I notice that you are quick to address fighting, but mention nothing about headhunting or cheap shots. Is it because you do not know how to address it? The league should enforce it rules when it comes to cheap shots, you say>

BTW, what ARE those rules?

DaveK,

So you score a goal or 2 on a major pp. Under your scenario the cheap shotter gets to return to the ice. What happens if your player was a victim of the cheapshotter and is done for the season?

If the cheapshotter had to fight every time he cheapshotted a guy he would not do it.

DaveK,

So you score a goal or 2 on a major pp. Under your scenario the cheap shotter gets to return to the ice. What happens if your player was a victim of the cheapshotter and is done for the season?

If the cheapshotter had to fight every time he cheapshotted a guy he would not do it.

Dave close your eyes or look away if you don't like fighting in hockey. Live with it. Part of the game and always will be.

I personally had hoped that Parise would stay on, especially since he'll be carrying Saturday's loss in his gut for a long time. But I knew he was too good and would have to move on. That's what he needs to do. This is why I wore my Devils jersey to the last home game - I sit right behind the bench - and I wanted to pay tribute to Zach. He is a special player and has increased my interest in this game to an even higher level. He is a total class act and will make an immediate impact on the team. Mark my word, if he plays this year, he will adjust quickly and he will score goals and make assists. You all saw how he dominated whenever he was on the ice. Get ready for more of the same.

I'm looking forward to next year tho - Just look at what we still have???...Brady Murray has incredible wheels and hockey smarts. He has improved nearly every game. He will be a bigger star next year...and a hobey candidate. Stafford isn't going anywhere. Developmentally, he's not where ZPar was at this time last year. It would be a mistake for him. He could benefit from another year.

Maybe there is a reason guys don't have fistfights in these leagues.

To me, there is a difference between roughing in the corner after a puck and dropping your gloves in the middle of the ice 50 feet from the puck. When MEN get into a corner and start shoving and working for the puck, tempers will elevate - it's an emotional game. But for me, there is a huge disconnect and lack of professionalism when you can't get control of your emotions minutes after the close contact is over.

To Wit: If you're standing there thinking about when you are going to get your chance to slug ZPar (or whoever you want to name), you can bet you're not doing your job to keep him from scoring...You can also bet that ZPar didn't spend much time thinking about getting even for something that happened last game or even something that happened five minutes before - he concentrated on his job and what was happening at that moment - that's what makes him so much better than others - he stays focused on the here and now and stays in the game...

DaveK,

Very gutsy stance on fighting. Let me explain why I like fighting and then why I don't.

Why I do: The 1997 Red Wings playing Colorado Avalanche at home. Red Wings were embarrassed at the hands of the Avs in the 1996 playoffs and hadn't won a game against them in 1997. This was a March game and it was 5-0 Avalanche in the third period. The Wings started mucking it up and the whole thing got out of hand. After multiple player ejections and Patrick Roy and Mike Vernon duked it out at center ice, they resumed play. In 10 minutes, the Wings scored 5 goals and put the game into OT and they ended up winning 6-5. A few weeks later, they met in the playoffs and any doubt about how the Wings would play was erased. They wound up winning the 1997 Stanley Cup. The fights changed their attitudes against Colorado and losing to the Avs was no longer tolerated.

Why I don't: Marty McSorley gooning it up, thugs taking the ice specifically to injure the opposing team's superstar, starting a fight with 10 seconds left in a game where you are losing 5-1 and the outcome has long been decided. Stupid!

Fighting does serve its purpose in a 2-0 game much like switching goalies is designed to do. It does have a purpose. However, when not used for a purpose (see Todd Bertuzzi video from a while back), it makes the sport look bad, and THAT should not be tolerated either.

What if the refs MISS the spear or high stick? What if the player continues to do it and the league does nothing about it?

The NHL could do the same thing that college hockey and the NFL does: Hand out punishiment based on what the videotape shows.