SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Vikings 2017 2018

Fetch

On 1/22/2018 at 3:05 PM, Oxbow6 said:

With no QB currently under contract would MINN make a run at Kurt Cousins?

I have seen people suggest the following names for us to sign or trade for: Brees, Cousins, Smith, Manning, Garoppolo and of course, Kaepernick.

While most of these are good QBs, why would we sign any of them when we currently have 3 QBs who have already played well for us? Of those three, Keenum played beyond anyone's prediction and he should be a priority to sign this off season at QB. Bridgewater and Bradford can stay on if they want to back-up Case, but best guess, they both will want to start elsewhere.

If Keenum wants too much money or doesn't want to stay, then I'd go for Bridgewater. Bradford did great for us but he is older and his is more injury prone. In the unlikely scenario that we don't sign any of our three QBs, I would love to see Brees on the team (assuming he doesn't resign with the Saints or retire, which he probably will do one or the other).

Regardless as to who the starter is, I think it's worth mentioning that we also have Kyle Slotter who managed to stay on as a 4th string QB. The team clearly values him enough to keep and I think they plan to use him as the backup next year. 

I hope the Vikings brass forgets Bradford exists, I don't want him anywhere near this team.  I'd be good with keep Bridgewater, but only if he his competing for a starting job or is ok coming as the backup.  He hasn't really played in two years, so I'd be hesitant to give him the keys.  While it would be nice to keep Case to compete with Teddy, I'd be ok if he left too.  I don't think he can sustain the level of play he showed this season. 

No way Brees leaves NO.  I'd stay far away from Kaep and Manning.  I don't trust Cousins.  Very intrigued by Alex Smith, he'd be my guy if he's willing to come.  Garoppolo would be interesting, but I have no feelings about him whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Keep Keenum as a starter, use Bradford as a backup and let Teddy sign on somewhere else.  Teddy is a great guy, but we have no idea what he is physically capable of.  He suited up, then sat the rest of the games.  Not a good sign.  Bradford is a great QB when he's healthy . . . hence I think he could be a good backup.

I'll give Case the benefit of the doubt.  He did a great job this season.  And what if he is capable of sustaining that level of play? 

I would think Case would want to stick with the receivers and tight ends that the Vikings have.  That team could be solid for quite a few years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Keep Keenum as a starter, use Bradford as a backup and let Teddy sign on somewhere else.  Teddy is a great guy, but we have no idea what he is physically capable of.  He suited up, then sat the rest of the games.  Not a good sign.  Bradford is a great QB when he's healthy . . . hence I think he could be a good backup.

I'll give Case the benefit of the doubt.  He did a great job this season.  And what if he is capable of sustaining that level of play? 

I would think Case would want to stick with the receivers and tight ends that the Vikings have.  That team could be solid for quite a few years.

I think this is the most probable outcome. Is he a franchise QB.......no. Can he function effectively in a system where the D only gives up 15+ points/game......yes. What you saw on Sunday is what will happen more often than not if he is asked to win a ball game from behind.  But boy is that defense really good.

...........and please don't bring up the "Minnesota Miracle".  Great play but lots of parts went into that for that outcome to occur.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

...........and please don't bring up the "Minnesota Miracle".  Great play but lots of parts went into that for that outcome to occur.

Yes, that is literally why it was called a miracle.

Case is going to want too much money and I don't think he's worth it. Historical Case (the one that wasn't really even average his first 4 years in the league) started to show towards the end of the year and the playoffs. He's definitely serviceable but not worth $20+ million/year. If he's willing to sign for less than that, go for it, but there is probably someone out there willing to pay way more. Unless Bradford is some sort of magician, he's not getting paid a significant salary unless its a contract full of incentives and minimal guaranteed money. However I think he'll be fine considering his career earnings are $114 million, so maybe he's fine with that. If you can get Teddy to sign a team-friendly contract, which would be some decent up-front money guaranteed for 1-2 years and then some "prove-it" on the back-end that are team options for 2-3 years with a bit of a raise, I think that's the ticket. Will be interesting to see what direction they go, I just hope it isn't a huge contract with a large guarantee because I'm not sure any of the three are worth that quite yet. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 77iceman said:

The bolded part is why I doubt he will settle for a backup job.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

OK, seriously, who'll be the Vikings 2018 Game 1 starter? 

Right about now the list could be a dozen or more long. 

Bradford - to many injuries

Teddy - Who knows how good he is after his injury (was he that great before it?)

Keenum - Filled in nicely, but is he able to win a game when you need him to?

I would like to see the Vikings go after Cousins.  sure he is probably going to want a 4 year deal worth 20M+, but if you ditch at least 2 of those QB's, that opens up cap space in a year where we already have a lot of cap space.  sure there are some guys after next year we need to make room to sign, but the window is small and out time to win is right now.  Vikings have one of the best defenses in the league and an explosive running back coming back next year.  Having a proven QB like Cousins come in here is only going to make guys like Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph only better.  

I say go get Cousins.  he will be worth it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Teddy - Who knows how good he is after his injury (was he that great before it?)

I would like to see the Vikings go after Cousins.  sure he is probably going to want a 4 year deal worth 20M+, but if you ditch at least 2 of those QB's, that opens up cap space in a year where we already have a lot of cap space.  sure there are some guys after next year we need to make room to sign, but the window is small and out time to win is right now.  Vikings have one of the best defenses in the league and an explosive running back coming back next year.  Having a proven QB like Cousins come in here is only going to make guys like Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph only better.  

Its going to be a lot more that 20 M, its going to be at least 30 M.  If the Redskins franchise tag him?  Then its money and picks. Of course if I am Cousins I say yes to tag and get paid $35 million and tell the Redskins to kick rocks on any trade. 

The contract will at least be 5 years/150 million.  Do the Vikings have the stomach for it?  

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Or we can go after Foles. Everyone knows he has no future in Philadelphia, but he could fill an important position with a team that is very close to winning a title.