SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Attendance

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Mmk.  Not saying it's responsible for 20% of student tickets going unscanned, but I got in with my season ticket not being scanned.  With the huge line at the doors, when the scanner didn't read my ticket for 2-3 seconds the guy just told me to go in.

Interesting -

Just found out.

The 2,000 seats are GA.  The other 1,000 were in reserved.  The non-scanned tickets were over 25% and maybe some is due to this.

34 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Well then, if that's the case I can confirm attendance was at least 12,048.

I don't think they release the scanned numbers from the gate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Attendance numbers in the box score are tickets sold, including those handed out to students. 

With last Saturdays game they had the three sections 214, 213, 212 as the student section early in the week, then towards the end of the week Section 211 was blanked and then top of the corner sections 210 218  we blanked out, adding another 1,000 seats for a total of over 3,000 tickets to the students.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I don't think they release the scanned numbers from the gate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Attendance numbers in the box score are tickets sold, including those handed out to students. 

With last Saturdays game they had the three sections 214, 213, 212 as the student section early in the week, then towards the end of the week Section 211 was blanked and then top of the corner sections 210 218  we blanked out, adding another 1,000 seats for a total of over 3,000 tickets to the students.

data is conflicting - 

8 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

data is conflicting - 

definetly, LOL

Just looked at Mont St game tickets availabe, there's only 170 tickets left for sale, outside of opposing team tickets in lower section 217, on the whole student side of the field. This time all of section 210 and 218 are blanked out escept for handicapped seats, like they're going to give the stdents even more tickets than last weekend???  Maybe they're trying for that sellout, more power to them!

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

definetly, LOL

Just looked at Mont St game tickets availabe, there's only 170 tickets left for sale, outside of opposing team tickets in lower section 217, on the whole student side of the field. This time all of section 210 and 218 are blanked out escept for handicapped seats, like they're going to give the stdents even more tickets than last weekend???  Maybe they're trying for that sellout, more power to them!

Helps to be playing a team that will send a couple hundred fans instead of a couple fans.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Helps to be playing a team that will send a couple hundred fans instead of a couple fans.

definetly, not many visiting fans show up and they just get about 200 tickets is all, which some usually come back and UND tries to sell them. I've bought them a few times for friends.

2 hours ago, WiSioux said:

1. The student section is general admission

2. Announced attendance numbers are always tickets sold.

OK, I agree with this till proven wrong, Now, regarding last weekend;

Up front, we know students pay athletic fees, done so for many years.

Did UND expand the student section to over 3,000 tickets and there was no charge at the time of receiving the student ticket?

or

Did students only get the 2,000 or so original student tickets for free and then they had to pay something for the additional 1000 or so tickets which were coming out of a reserved section?

6 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I'd like to see the student section go to general admission.  Then students can sit with whom they want, it will create an urgency to get into the stadium.

Or it will create a divided student section by them just going to sit in all the empty seats near the endzones, and ruining any potential energy in the building.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

OK, I agree with this till proven wrong, Now, regarding last weekend;

Up front, we know students pay athletic fees, done so for many years.

Did UND expand the student section to over 3,000 tickets and there was no charge at the time of receiving the student ticket?

or

Did students only get the 2,000 or so original student tickets for free and then they had to pay something for the additional 1000 or so tickets which were coming out of a reserved section?

Because of the demand, they opened up extra tickets to the students. However I don't recall if they gave the extra to them for "free" or charged $5 once they went past their inital alottment, which is something have done in the past. I'm thinking it was the former with the understanding that going forward, after the first game, it would be the latter but I don't recall the details off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Or it will create a divided student section by them just going to sit in all the empty seats near the endzones, and ruining any potential energy in the building.

I think it's been established the 2,000 student tickets are GA.  UND allowed 1,000 more free tickets in reserved seating.  Back to my original issue that needs to be addressed, a large number of student tickets didn't get scanned.  For the 2,000 GA seats, should UND give out 2,100 or even 2,200 tickets for 2,000 seats factoring in a 10% "No show" rate knowing it was a lot higher than 10% game #1?

37 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I think it's been established the 2,000 student tickets are GA.  UND allowed 1,000 more free tickets in reserved seating.  Back to my original issue that needs to be addressed, a large number of student tickets didn't get scanned.  For the 2,000 GA seats, should UND give out 2,100 or even 2,200 tickets for 2,000 seats factoring in a 10% "No show" rate knowing it was a lot higher than 10% game #1?

I misread your statement. My bad. 

I read it as make the student section "General Admission" as in sell their tickets to the public and compete with them for seats.... Not as a First Come, First Serve Student Section type "General Admission."

Agree. There should almost be no limit to the amount of tickets students can pick up since they need an ID to get into the building anyways. So it's not like they can sell them to the general public. 

53 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I think it's been established the 2,000 student tickets are GA.  UND allowed 1,000 more free tickets in reserved seating.  Back to my original issue that needs to be addressed, a large number of student tickets didn't get scanned.  For the 2,000 GA seats, should UND give out 2,100 or even 2,200 tickets for 2,000 seats factoring in a 10% "No show" rate knowing it was a lot higher than 10% game #1?

Gundy, I like your question, I'll join in. Thinking this will become more of a concern once the Hawk's Nest starts selling out.

If students get tickets from the general admission student sections 214, 213, 212, then their tickets are probably marked as student section and not have a seat #?

If students get tickets from the overflow which are from sections 211 and possible corners 210, 218, then their tickers probably have a seat #? 

Now something that hasn't been mentioned and I'll throw in is Standing Room Tickets. There's been about 13,500 people at the 1st NDSU game. There are 12,283 seats without any added bleachers. How many standing room tickets can be sold? How do they fit in with the practice of people with assigned seats preferring the catwalk over their seat, and then leaving their seat vacant?

Getting back to your point I put in Bold. If students get tickets during the week of the game for free and then decide not to go Saturday,  what gives,  how does UND address that? Give out a few extras? Xtras can also serve as standing room tickets? U seems to be trying to fill the house, I like it!

Another concern is the congestion getting in and making sure everyone gets scanned so the U has a correct number to figure out no shows  (tickets sold vs tickers scanned).  

We better win in SD if we want to see how this seating plays out? And, it wouldn't hurt if SD had a maximum of 2 losses in the MVFC.

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

This isn't an airplane... You can't just oversell the seats. Student tickets are not currently standing room only tickets therefore you can only sell how many seats are available. Now if you wanted to create standing room only tickets for the catwalks then go for it, but that is a completely separate thing.

Your issue is with student tickets not being used, not not being scanned (meaning the student was at the game but their ticket wasn't scanned). You can't force anyone to go to the game instead of just tailgating. Just like you can't force them to stay past halftime or the third quarter. Just hope the team keeps doing well and the problem will solve itself.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WiSioux said:

You can't just oversell the seats. 

Sure you can.

Sell isn't the right word, but you can easily over give them away. If demand got too high. All you have to put on the student ticket is something like "this is not a guarantee to a seat at the game. And limited to the first x,xxx people in the Alerus."

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Sure you can.

Sell isn't the right word, but you can easily over give them away. If demand got too high. All you have to put on the student ticket is something like "this is not a guarantee to a seat at the game. And limited to the first x,xxx people in the Alerus."

And add,  also good for standing room only locations. During some of the sellouts, didn't they let people also stand on the floor below the catwalks?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, WiSioux said:

This isn't an airplane... You can't just oversell the seats. Student tickets are not currently standing room only tickets therefore you can only sell how many seats are available. Now if you wanted to create standing room only tickets for the catwalks then go for it, but that is a completely separate thing.

Your issue is with student tickets not being used, not not being scanned (meaning the student was at the game but their ticket wasn't scanned). You can't force anyone to go to the game instead of just tailgating. Just like you can't force them to stay past halftime or the third quarter. Just hope the team keeps doing well and the problem will solve itself.

I am not trying to force students to go to the game, just accepting the numbers.  Take the emotion out of it, this is a step in how to fill the Alerus - 

2,000 student seats and 2,000 tickets handed out.  Of those 2,000 -  100+ don't show up, 100 stand in the end zone, 50 at Happy Harry's bar, and 50 sit with other family and friends.  So, now we have 1,700 students sitting in the 2,000 student section and it's not full.  So to Wi Sioux and DB Cooper, why not factor this in knowing we have general overflow in the catwalks??  And yes, I am saying hand out around 2,300 tickets for 2,000 seats. 

13,500 I believe is the fire code rating of the Alerus.  So if we happen to be over in the future they will only say 13,500.

• Upvote 2