SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

On 3/5/2018 at 10:00 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

Brew needs to clean house for next year. Keep 5 to 7 current players and dismiss the rest 

I was thinking the FF would be one of the 5 to 7 to stay. Not overly surprised though because we could see something wasn't right with team chemistry for most of the season. As the team struggled the pressure mounted to perform.  FF was one of the better players and losing her will hurt. 

It was a disappointing season. I would say many of the players and coaches under-performed. I imagine there was a fair amount of behind the scenes butt chewing going on. We kind of shrug off all the turnovers as that's just the way Brew rolls but maybe he did get on the players. 

FF had an astonishing nine turnovers in a late season game.  We routinely shot poorly.  Players got playing time only because others were playing poorly - and then lost their time because of playing equally bad. I was not optimistic about next year with the current players.

I am not impressed with the coaching staff on players they have brought in. The team was out of control most of the time.

College athletics is dog eat dog. Ultimately, coaches are paid to win and players are pawns.

• Upvote 1

Comparing UND and USD in women's basketball during Brewster's tenure is pretty striking. USD is 148-60 over the past six seasons, with half of those losses occurring in the first two of those years. They have not had a sub-.500 season since the second year of the transition. Brew is 101-86, with two sub-.500 seasons. USD's last four seasons have all been better than Brew's best season record-wise.

USD has also had two head coaches hired away by bigger schools in the past seven years, with their current coach well on her way to being the third after a 29-7 season this year. Brew seems to do just well enough to stick around, but not well enough to make anybody else want to hire him away. 

The standards for women's basketball at UND are significantly higher than being a little over .500 after six seasons, particularly given what's going on with the two SD schools. Things need to improve and quickly. 

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Go look around at home many juniors-to-be-seniors transfer every year. It's in the 100's.  Granted this one was because she was unhappy but its not really much different.  It's because its our little world and that should never happen to us, etc.  

Yes, we know that there are issues.  But the level of drama with this one is a bit much.  A sit down, Katie Couric style interview - really? 

Do you think FF wanted the drama? She had enough of Brew's head games and BS, stayed a season longer than many of us expected, and tried to quietly hit the road. Wayne Nelson heard the rumor, confirmed it through UND, and broke the story in the media. The rest of the interviews and nonsense is just part of the game when a local talent that commits to a local team decides to leave. Yes - 100s of junior players transfer, that is true. And yes - it is within our own little UND world and now it's "a story". If you know anything about UND sports, you know that's how things work around here, like it or not.

As far as the previous comment about her love affair with MSU goes, I think that's ridiculous. Did you want her to tell the truth in these interviews? Did you want her to say the UND program pissed her off so bad that she felt she had no other option but to leave? No - she cited her opportunity at MSU as a reason for leaving UND, and as a focal point in her interviews in order to save face for our WBB program (even though everyone knows the truth anyway). If she wanted to thump her chest, she could've talked about the multiple programs that were racing to the phones to invite her to their programs for one year - but she didn't do that either.

Give her some credit, folks. This could've gone down waaaay worse than it did. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, airmail said:

Do you think FF wanted the drama? She had enough of Brew's head games and BS, stayed a season longer than many of us expected, and tried to quietly hit the road. Wayne Nelson heard the rumor, confirmed it through UND, and broke the story in the media. The rest of the interviews and nonsense is just part of the game when a local talent that commits to a local team decides to leave. Yes - 100s of junior players transfer, that is true. And yes - it is within our own little UND world and now it's "a story". If you know anything about UND sports, you know that's how things work around here, like it or not.

As far as the previous comment about her love affair with MSU goes, I think that's ridiculous. Did you want her to tell the truth in these interviews? Did you want her to say the UND program pissed her off so bad that she felt she had no other option but to leave? No - she cited her opportunity at MSU as a reason for leaving UND, and as a focal point in her interviews in order to save face for our WBB program (even though everyone knows the truth anyway). If she wanted to thump her chest, she could've talked about the multiple programs that were racing to the phones to invite her to their programs for one year - but she didn't do that either.

Give her some credit, folks. This could've gone down waaaay worse than it did. 

Listen, we all know she wasn't happy.  But, was the sit down interview with our local Katie Couric really needed if she just wanted to "quietly hit the road"?   A simple statement to the Herald may have done it.

You guys are acting like we lost a perennial All-American or something.  She shot 40% and led the team in turnovers by a huge margin, despite being injured and missing games.  Lets all take a step back and realize it for what it is.  The team was 12-18.  

If there is that big of a problem with Brew, Chaves will take care of it in short order.  He has no allegiances.  

• Upvote 1

Your comments are fair - I only disagree on the media stuff.

I believe the WDAZ interview was not her idea and perhaps she felt obligated to do it. I personally don't know the background on the tv interview so I can't comment further. And I continue to believe - to her credit - she held UND in a good light through all of this, when it may have been personally very difficult to do so.

I'm giving the young lady a lot of credit for that - in this day and age you don't see that anymore.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, airmail said:

Your comments are fair - I only disagree on the media stuff.

I believe the WDAZ interview was not her idea and perhaps she felt obligated to do it. I personally don't know the background on the tv interview so I can't comment further. And I continue to believe - to her credit - she held UND in a good light through all of this, when it may have been personally very difficult to do so.

I'm giving the young lady a lot of credit for that - in this day and age you don't see that anymore.

I gotcha.  No doubt it was a painful process for her but glad she is doing something that will make her happy.  You only get one chance at college basketball and the "college experience".

The big question is Klabo going to stay or she going to announce her leaving too to another program. The players recruited so far are not going to be immediate help to this team next year. The girl transferring in next year won't be able to play unless the transfer rule changes from NCAA. The other freshman recruited may help some next year but not till later in the season. I look at from Klabo position she came here to get a chance to play in NCAA tournament and if you look at this team now I just don't see it being able to win the Summit conference. The talent recruited now will be of little benefit for her to accomplish her goal. You have lost FF for the coming year so your going to help bring the ball up if they are pressured and your going to also draw better of front line players defensively and then pick up more of the offense for the coming year. Look at starting 5 next year Klabo, Dooley, Jill Morton, Dailey, and probably Reinke for the team unless we see one of the freshman stepping forth but outcome of Freshman starting for team the record of teams starting freshman is not good. I look at this years coming team they will be hard pressed to have better season than this year. Like I say Brewster better be praying that Klabo stays or were going to be looking at team that will be fighting stay out the bottom of the Summit conference. The reason will be his recruiting last two years where he has no outstanding juniors or sophomores to be stepping up for the coming year. Its like he has taken two years off and my guess is he thought he would be able to move on and this didn't happen. I think Brewster told FF she was have reduced roll and he wanted to start rebuilding with this recruiting class which didn't fit at all her goals of playing in NCAA tournament and then you add in all the mind games she had to put up I think she basically told him to take a flying leap. Just guessing he told her she have hard time finding team and she should accept this roll but when she found a program that wanted her and got it done in just a few days was like slam dunk in Brewster face. The question will be how loyal Klabo will be to UND and her family for this last year of basketball because she is playing here in front of family and Friends. FF has same thing to look at to because I know her being able to play in front of family and friends were important to her so this decision was not made lightly but you can only push a person so far.

3 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

The big question is Klabo going to stay or she going to announce her leaving too to another program. The players recruited so far are not going to be immediate help to this team next year. The girl transferring in next year won't be able to play unless the transfer rule changes from NCAA. The other freshman recruited may help some next year but not till later in the season. I look at from Klabo position she came here to get a chance to play in NCAA tournament and if you look at this team now I just don't see it being able to win the Summit conference. The talent recruited now will be of little benefit for her to accomplish her goal. You have lost FF for the coming year so your going to help bring the ball up if they are pressured and your going to also draw better of front line players defensively and then pick up more of the offense for the coming year. Look at starting 5 next year Klabo, Dooley, Jill Morton, Dailey, and probably Reinke for the team unless we see one of the freshman stepping forth but outcome of Freshman starting for team the record of teams starting freshman is not good. I look at this years coming team they will be hard pressed to have better season than this year. Like I say Brewster better be praying that Klabo stays or were going to be looking at team that will be fighting stay out the bottom of the Summit conference. The reason will be his recruiting last two years where he has no outstanding juniors or sophomores to be stepping up for the coming year. Its like he has taken two years off and my guess is he thought he would be able to move on and this didn't happen. I think Brewster told FF she was have reduced roll and he wanted to start rebuilding with this recruiting class which didn't fit at all her goals of playing in NCAA tournament and then you add in all the mind games she had to put up I think she basically told him to take a flying leap. Just guessing he told her she have hard time finding team and she should accept this roll but when she found a program that wanted her and got it done in just a few days was like slam dunk in Brewster face. The question will be how loyal Klabo will be to UND and her family for this last year of basketball because she is playing here in front of family and Friends. FF has same thing to look at to because I know her being able to play in front of family and friends were important to her so this decision was not made lightly but you can only push a person so far.

I just about had a seizure trying to read that. Anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOXsi682OgA

29 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Would love to hear which mid major program would be able to join the Summit and compete with the two SDs immediately?  All ears.

A lot of "guessing" up above in that post.  Really specific and to the point "guessing".  :silly:

Honestly, if you asked me last year I would have said us.  I thought we could contended in year 1.

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Honestly, if you asked me last year I would have said us.  I thought we could contended in year 1.

You serious Clark?   We don't got the horses in either BB program right now.  Maybe one game.  Not over a full slate.

On March 28, 2018 at 9:43 PM, shep said:

I think the players coming in for next year could be special from what I've read. I think is why FF is not on the team. Great person, but decided that others coming in were likely ahead of her.

I believe we have a good recruiting class coming in but I doubt they are or would be "ahead of her".  She had showed she can play and play well at this level. I heard her younger sister may be better than she.  If so we may not have a great chance of signing her.  

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I believe we have a good recruiting class coming in but I doubt they are or would be "ahead of her".  She had showed she can play and play well at this level. I heard her younger sister may be better than she.  If so we may not have a great chance of signing her.  

I don't entirely disagree, but I do think it's a really athletic looking group,( the little bits of video I've seen) and that was not FF's strength. I've heard good things about little sis, but lots can happen in 5 years.

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If Klabo (the best player on the team) leaves, then so should Brewster.

This is a bad take.

The coach's job is to get results and that is what they will be judged on (obviously assuming they follow ethical standards). Employments decisions are not and should not be directly tied to the whims of young adults. If there is enough issue with recruits/players, the results will tell the story and that's what the decision should be made off of. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...