SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

8 hours ago, natstar1 said:

Really sad if true. 

Is this an actual thing though...is UND looking at McKeever?  If you told me she committed to MSUM I would tell you she is in way over her head.  I'd take DGF's Natalie Steichen over McKeever.

One guy mentioned her name.  On a message board.  

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Did you get the sense that the juniors were a little unsure about the seemingly bigger challenge that the Summit might bring with the South Dakota schools and all.  Maybe they sensed the road to a title would be a little easier in the familiar territory of the Big Sky. I don’t know. Interesting. 

I didn’t ask that question but it didn’t seem that was the reason. It was more of finishing their career in the same conference they started. He did make it sound like it was more than just Fallyn who was disappointed but rather the juniors as a whole. Now whether that translates into others transferring, time will tell I guess. 

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

One guy mentioned her name.  On a message board.  

Correct......in no way was I implying that McKeever was being recruited by UND. I have seen lots of GBB in the FM area and western MN. I just stated my opinion based on what I've seen locally over the past couple years and who UND has recruited. natstar1 and I obviously don't agree on the same girls we have both seen play. That's why recruiting, for those that know much more than me like Brew, is still a crap shoot.

• Like 1

In a phone interview with the Chronicle on Monday evening Freije declined to give specifics as to why she’s leaving the Fighting Hawks but said MSU gives her the best chance to accomplish her goals.

“I just felt it was in the best interests for what I dream to fulfill in my college career (to join the Bobcats),” said Freije, who was granted her release on March 19. “I just see that ... it was not going to happen at UND because of some of the circumstances that I was going through.”

Freije was a four-time All-State selection and North Dakota Miss Basketball finalist for Lakota-Edmore High. She played club basketball for Northern Lites and was a teammate with former MSU star Riley Nordgaard.

Freije said she developed good relationships with Binford and associate head coach Nate Harris through the recruitment process. That made games against MSU difficult.

“After games I would say, ‘Good game.’ And that was tough,” said Freije, who visited MSU this past weekend. “After we played them I wanted to just hug (Binford) and say, ‘How have you been?’ and ‘How’s your family?’ But you can’t do that. When she first called me after I got released she said, ‘It feels good to be talking to you again, girl.’

"That was cool because I felt the same way. I had a lot of coaches that wanted to reach out to me but I’m at the point where I didn’t want to make a new relationship with a coach.”

From Bozeman Daily Chronicle article

2 hours ago, Nodak61 said:

With the transfer, all I will say is that the you need to look at the coach and treatment of his players.  

16 minutes ago, lawkota said:

I didn't sleep at a HIE last night but I'd say in this scenario it is pretty easy to connect the dots.

Good for Freije.

• Upvote 2

Freije's comments in this article and her interview shows real class by this player but you can see in her face how and how she expressed herself that there was real parting of ways with Brewster. The real proof in the putting is there has been no statement other than canned reply by UND. The big thing I also see here is that Montana State coach Binford knew what was happening to Freije because she called her right away. What's the deal here why hasn't media here reported reason for parting of ways here at UND when people all way out in Bozeman know what's happening. This is big deal to people of North Dakota when one of home grown talent is being basically thrown away and we have not any explanation why this is happening. Our new Athletic director better start getting handle on what's happening here because if this team goes backward with loss of players and we have another poor year next year his job will get whole lot more difficult by this time next year.

I listened to the interview and I can’t exactly say she opened up about the transfer. I guess my biggest question would be if she is so high on Montana State why didn’t she just go there in the first place. If anything this puts Brew on notice that things aren’t hunky dory. Losing a native NoDak is not a good sign. Perhaps it is the beginning of the end of Brew at UND.

http://www.wdaz.com/sports/basketball/4423747-edmores-fallyn-freije-opens-about-transferring-montana-state-und

• Upvote 1

Where's the get to the facts/hard reporting of Tom Miller when you need it? Or does an interview with Brew on this topic have to get clearance from those in the WH program...............

9 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Freije's comments in this article and her interview shows real class by this player but you can see in her face how and how she expressed herself that there was real parting of ways with Brewster. The real proof in the putting is there has been no statement other than canned reply by UND. The big thing I also see here is that Montana State coach Binford knew what was happening to Freije because she called her right away. What's the deal here why hasn't media here reported reason for parting of ways here at UND when people all way out in Bozeman know what's happening. This is big deal to people of North Dakota when one of home grown talent is being basically thrown away and we have not any explanation why this is happening. Our new Athletic director better start getting handle on what's happening here because if this team goes backward with loss of players and we have another poor year next year his job will get whole lot more difficult by this time next year.

Two things:

-She probably should have just gone there out of high school if she had such a love affair with MSU.  Nothing wrong with that but sounds like she had a half-foot out the door the entire time.  

-This whole deal was really dramatic.  Seriously, way too dramatic.  There are close to 1,000 transfers every year now in college basketball and we are acting like armageddon is coming cause one good player leaves.  The others leaving are not unusual.

52 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

-This whole deal was really dramatic.  Seriously, way too dramatic.  There are close to 1,000 transfers every year now in college basketball and we are acting like armageddon is coming cause one good player leaves. The others leaving are not unusual.

This wasn't a freshman transferring. This wasn't a player transferring because she didn't get playing time. This was a Junior, soon-to-be Senior transferring and who was an important player for the team. That is a huge red flag. The fact she is willing to sit out a year to play one season with Montana State tells you how unhappy she must have been.

And I hope Brewster is paying attention.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Two things:

-She probably should have just gone there out of high school if she had such a love affair with MSU.  Nothing wrong with that but sounds like she had a half-foot out the door the entire time.  

-This whole deal was really dramatic.  Seriously, way too dramatic.  There are close to 1,000 transfers every year now in college basketball and we are acting like armageddon is coming cause one good player leaves.  The others leaving are not unusual.

With the results on the court and fields this year there are plenty of coaches and players that need to re-evaluate their commitment to their respective teams.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This wasn't a freshman transferring. This wasn't a player transferring because she didn't get playing time. This was a Junior, soon-to-be Senior transferring and who was an important player for the team. That is a huge red flag. The fact she is willing to sit out a year to play one season with Montana State tells you how unhappy she must have been.

And I hope Brewster is paying attention.

Go look around at home many juniors-to-be-seniors transfer every year. It's in the 100's.  Granted this one was because she was unhappy but its not really much different.  It's because its our little world and that should never happen to us, etc.  

Yes, we know that there are issues.  But the level of drama with this one is a bit much.  A sit down, Katie Couric style interview - really? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Go look around at home many juniors-to-be-seniors transfer every year. It's in the 100's.  Granted this one was because she was unhappy but its not really much different.  It's because its our little world and that should never happen to us, etc.  

Yes, we know that there are issues.  But the level of drama with this one is a bit much.  A sit down, Katie Couric style interview - really? 

So, losing a local ND kid with talent, who has significantly contributed to the program, was a great role model for other ND kids, isn't a problem?  It is our own little world, but shouldn't be losing good local talent.  Drama starts at the top....

• Upvote 4

Maybe I'm throwing in the towel for next year already, but I don't see them being a very good team next year.  With the number of Juniors to be Seniors on this team I wouldn't mind a few more transferring.  i would like to see some younger players getting more playing time next year, make them better in future years.  

54 minutes ago, Nodak61 said:

So, losing a local ND kid with talent, who has significantly contributed to the program, was a great role model for other ND kids, isn't a problem?  It is our own little world, but shouldn't be losing good local talent.  Drama starts at the top....

Where did I say it wasn't a problem?  I said the level of drama related to it is a bit much.  This isn't unusual at all, frankly, and I am sure Chaves is well aware of her situation and how it relates to the WBB program.

6 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Well Chaves should seriously look at the WBB and MBB coaches. Maybe Brew gets a pass since he is a few years removed from a conference championship but Jones needs to go.

I agree all coaches should constantly be evaluated but Jones is only one year removed for qualifying for the dance.  

This is Women's site and I have been critical of Brewster coaching especially again this year because from what I have watched of this year coaching and what I  have heard through the grapevine on him. But I don't get it with Jones coaching from what I saw this year his team improved from beginning of the year to the end and he had competitive team on the floor at the end of the season. I could fault him on his recruiting not having more players available and that may mean he has a problem. He lost several players last year and I haven't heard the reasons for loosing them and again my mind could change if there are problems in the program. The big problem I saw last year you had coach that won the conference and the conference tourney which is about as good outcome as could expect for UND. Und couldn't provide him contract until way into the summer not good situation when you got kids that have come here to play for him and his style of basketball. Also he has been hampered by not being able to pay assistant coaches enough to keep them here so we had constant turn over of coaches. To me this has effected his ability to recruit players without contract and turn over of coaches is very big handicap to building quality program. But his teams have always gotten better as the season gone along and they have always played good basketball in conference tournament. Now Brewster track record is not nearly as good he won the conference tournament when it was played here but when he's played on the road he hasn't even reached semifinals of the tournament and there have been several one and dones. These were  highly ranked teams where we should have at least reached finals of the conference tournament. Also the difference I have seen between mens and womens programs is that men's program teams have gotten better through the seasons and I haven't seen this women's program and second the men's team never seem to have more of fight in them going down the stretch. These are my observations of the programs and I don't know all in and outs of the programs.

• Upvote 1