SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Falls Regional -- Yes!

cowboys5xsbs

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Even if it's at the X?  I've heard over and over that fans will come out in droves if it moves to St. Paul.

Might be a little bump if it goes back to the X, I just assume the NCHC is going to stick with the Target Center bc of all the updates they're doing and cheaper rent.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

College hockey is a regional sport, seems to me the writing is on the wall for campus regionals again. I just hope the stubborn coaches see this too.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

College hockey is a regional sport, seems to me the writing is on the wall for campus regionals again. I just hope the stubborn coaches see this too.

Yes, like Wuster Mass. is not like a home game for BC, BU or UMassLowell.

Maybe have top 4 teams host, but hosts have to have available facilities, (on campus or near) that have a minimum seating of say 6K.  If a top four team doesn't have a rink available, host moves down the list.   I'm sure there are numerous issues that would arise...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

How about und hosts the west regional every year with Fargo and sioux falls and minny or another in state school can host at the x every year for the mid west and then just have the 2 east regionals. That'd be perfect. Well I can hope. :D

That might be what eventually happens anyway!!

35 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Maybe have top 4 teams host, but hosts have to have available facilities, (on campus or near) that have a minimum seating of say 6K.  If a top four team doesn't have a rink available, host moves down the list.   I'm sure there are numerous issues that would arise...

I was with you until this part.  If you are a #1 then you should get the right to host.  Either at your home rink or a rink of your choice.  Almost always assured of a great atmosphere and the lost revenue of drop in attendance would probably be made up in saving of travel cost of the host team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

I was with you until this part.  If you are a #1 then you should get the right to host.  Either at your home rink or a rink of your choice.  Almost always assured of a great atmosphere and the lost revenue of drop in attendance would probably be made up in saving of travel cost of the host team.

My thoughts were that a #1 hosting at a rink with 2400 seats would not be ideal.

• Upvote 1

At start of season every DI team declares where, if they are a #1 seed, they will host. Criteria is that facility must hold no less than 6000 fans. Home rinks allowed. 

This would allow say Brown and Providence and ... < list here > ... all to combined book the Dunc and if one of them gets a #1 they play there.

If multiple teams that have reserved a common rink get #1s, well, ... < provision here >. 

Some are gimmes: UND, DU, UMn, UW ... 

Some would "combo up" like Brown and Providence call Dunc, or Yale/UConn/Qpac/SacHeart/Army all join and declare Bridgeport, or UMass/AmInt/HC all call Worcester. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

At start of season every DI team declares where, if they are a #1 seed, they will host. Criteria is that facility must hold no less than 6000 fans. Home rinks allowed. 

This would allow say Brown and Providence and ... < list here > ... all to combined book the Dunc and if one of them gets a #1 they play there.

If multiple teams that have reserved a common rink get #1s, well, ... < provision here >. 

Some would "combo up" like Brown and Providence call Dunc, or Yale/UConn/Qpac/SacHeart/Army all join and declare Bridgeport, or UMass/AmInt/HC all call Worcester. 

Not a bad idea, but...... If I am an arena manager I will want some money and a firm reservation for the arena with a guarantee.  If the team(s) doing the arrangement don't get a #1 seed, I still get paid because I am not able to schedule something else at the arena on short notice.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would be great if something like this could/would work.  I've long felt that the #1 seeds should be able to host the regionals, but realize there are only 5 days between finding out if you're a #1 seed and needing to play a game at your arena.  That probably works fine for certain arenas, but not so great for others.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Would be great if something like this could/would work.  I've long felt that the #1 seeds should be able to host the regionals, but realize there are only 5 days between finding out if you're a #1 seed and needing to play a game at your arena.  That probably works fine for certain arenas, but not so great for others.

THIS.

They said it took 14 months to prep for Fargo V.2.  It went off Fantastic.  Perhaps throwing together regionals last minute isn't the best way to go about it either. 

I like SIcs idea of declaring at the beginning of each season teams declare an arena.  They would have to work out the financials with said facility to block out the dates but at least you can make hotel arrangements and other prep ahead of time to try and do it right. 

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

IMO that # is too high, cutting out viable regional sites like National Hockey Ctr, Verizon, RPI(brand new), Alfond, Compton.

Scheels in Fargo held about 5k and we're saying that's not big enough? (Btw no I don't think it was a bad thing it was sold out and tickets were somewhat hard to get. If you really wanted to go you could find them for a decent price)

What if conferences could only put in the bids? And then have say as to which of its teams are placed in the  regionals it hosts.

Four regionals and six conferences. Two sit out the rotation each year. 

For example

West Regional 1 Fargo, ND (NCHC host)  West Regional 2 (Cincinnati, OH (Big 10 host)

East Regional 1 (Albany NY) (ECAC host) and East Regional 2  Manchester, NH (Hockey East host)

The following year

West Regional 1  St. Paul, MN (NCHC host) West Regional 2  Grand Rapids, MI (WCHA host)

East Regional 1  Providence, RI (ECAC host) East Regional 2  Worcester, MA (Atlantic Hockey host)

The 3rd year

West Regional 1 Green Bay, WI (WCHA host) West Regional 2 St. Paul, MN (Big 10 host)

East Regional 1 Manchester, NH (Hockey East Host) East Regional 2 Buffalo, NY  (Atlantic Hockey Host)

And then back again

Conferences can determine which NCAA-tournament team in their conference gets placed in their regional.

Could be based on proximity of conference member to the host site. Could be based  ahead of time on the regular season conf. champion; or conference tournament champion.

Obviously, there are challenges and pitfalls to this idea, and if I'm missing some glaring ones, please chime in.

Just killing time this afternoon!

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

IMO that # is too high,

Don't get lost in trivial details that can be negotiated later. "6000" is a number; so is "5000" or "5500". 

Does the concept make sense. If so, ... the NCAA will never go for it. ;)