SiouxSports.com Forum

One Week Later

AJS

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

How come she hasn't got us more $$$ if she wants to keep it

Yeah, isn't pork barrel spending her job as a Senator to bring in money for a bridge to nowhere. Well she should be able to bring it in for a hockey team to nowhere. And we wonder why our taxes go up!

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

Everybody keeps saying this but I read an article this week and was surprised to find out that football lost $2.9 million this year... I get it, football has a ton more potential than women's hockey but I was still surprised by that number

If you want to use that accounting method for football, then you can add some more debt to the women's hockey deficit as well...Pushing it closer to 2.1 million. Not 1.9 million.

I'm not sure you want to do that right now. It won't help the cause.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

If you want to use that accounting method for football, then you can add some more debt to the women's hockey deficit as well...Pushing it closer to 2.1 million. Not 1.9 million.

I'm not sure you want to do that right now. It won't help the cause.

They aren't my numbers. And all I said was I was surprised by football's number.

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

Everybody keeps saying this but I read an article this week and was surprised to find out that football lost $2.9 million this year... I get it, football has a ton more potential than women's hockey but I was still surprised by that number

It's not just potential. 

Its the number of student-athletes, donating alumni, and butts in the seats. 

It all far exceeds that of women's hockey. No comparison. Its amazing to me how football can even be brought up still in this context. 

• Upvote 2

Boom

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4246201-und-says-womens-hockey-swimming-cuts-are-final#.WOVghKjzAqA.twitter

"Men's golf has a long way to go to get to the $4 million mark needed by June 2018 to endow the sport," Johnson said. "Given the size and cost of the women's hockey program compared to the men's golf program—approximately 15 times greater, requiring an endowment of roughly $60 million ... It would be virtually impossible to fundraise the dollars needed with the tight timelines within which student-athlete recruits are required to commit to a team."

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Boom

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4246201-und-says-womens-hockey-swimming-cuts-are-final#.WOVghKjzAqA.twitter

"Men's golf has a long way to go to get to the $4 million mark needed by June 2018 to endow the sport," Johnson said. "Given the size and cost of the women's hockey program compared to the men's golf program—approximately 15 times greater, requiring an endowment of roughly $60 million ... It would be virtually impossible to fundraise the dollars needed with the tight timelines within which student-athlete recruits are required to commit to a team."

Is that 60 mil a year or 60 mil total to keep the program?

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

I'd bet that the football's losses have to do more with being in the Big Sky.

I was thinking the same thing. Travel isn't cheap going all over the west coast plus only having 5 home games isn't good. But football does have the second most attended games behind men's hockey, so canning it would be pretty stupid.

18 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Travel isn't cheap going all over the west coast plus only having 5 home games isn't good. But football does have the second most attended games behind men's hockey, so canning it would be pretty stupid.

...and attendance is going up in football, not down like WIH even when most tickets were free.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, cberkas said:

Looks like Brads dad has chimed in on the issue.

Funny how Brad goes silent on Twitter but a close relative suddenly picks up the cause and begins tweeting constantly about it.  

That same relative didn't tweet one time about WH the entire season.  :silly:

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Strangely glossed over was the cost of the program. Mentioned in passing but only to compare it too football, which of course ignored the revenues that football brings in.

There you go focusing on the facts again!  Interested to see how much Title IX stuff they try to stir up; especially after UND was found to be over or hyper-compliant in favor of female athletes.

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Question?

did Heidi attend women's hockey game this year? I know she went to at least one in NYC for the men. Now she would be a big hypocrite if she didn't attend a game for both teams 

No photo op with Phil Jackson. :( 

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Funny how Brad goes silent on Twitter but a close relative suddenly picks up the cause and begins tweeting constantly about it.  

That same relative didn't tweet one time about WH the entire season.  :silly:

The relative didn't have time to tweet in-season...too busy attending all the games in person.

• Upvote 3