SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

A rebuttal to the Mike Jacobs piece:

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/womens-hockey-program-und-died-supporting/

If anything ever gets reinstated at UND, it should be something that actually makes a difference in life, not a sport.  Think music therapy; I have seen firsthand what that can do for a patient in the hospital.  So many people lost their jobs at UND, I'm sick and tired of women's hockey coming up over and over.

Anything reinstated needs to be academic, that has to be #1 with a bullet. Reinstating anything from the athletic side without balance from the academic side will not go over very well.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

can you update the list with the CC funds, or give me a better explanation?

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4247564-all-individual-sports-ndsu-und-lose-money-annual-financial-report-indicates

I don't have CC numbers for last year, but this article from 4/7/2017 lists $10.4 M for non-specific athletics revenue for UND.  That means it's revenue that is not tied directly to a sport (e.g. champion's club, merchandise, tv rights).  If you offset the losses per sport with that revenue, UND athletics had a buget deficit of $1.4 M for the year.  While we would all like to see this number in the black, it certainly isn't as bad as listing all the sports and their losses.  Per the article, NDSU attributes some of their donations and merchandise sales to specific sports making them look more profitable on a chart that UND's.

3 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

A rebuttal to the Mike Jacobs piece:

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/womens-hockey-program-und-died-supporting/

If anything ever gets reinstated at UND, it should be something that actually makes a difference in life, not a sport.  Think music therapy; I have seen firsthand what that can do for a patient in the hospital.  So many people lost their jobs at UND, I'm sick and tired of women's hockey coming up over and over.

You bring up a very good point. The sports cuts get the publicity way over the much larger cuts that were taken in academics at this U. Many jobs were lost at the U. There is a very high inventory of vacant apartments and large amount homes for sale in GF. 

On 2/26/2018 at 9:17 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Agree but that is just a byproduct of dropping WH. To insinuate or suggest that was a legitimate factor in the decision..............nope. 

The bigger dispute was that the REA wanted the vacated space for their own use, while UND rightfully insisted they needed to retain it to upgrade a women's sport facilities (soccer) to prevent Title IX issues.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The bigger dispute was that the REA wanted the vacated space for their own use, while UND rightfully insisted they needed to retain it to upgrade a women's sport facilities (soccer) to prevent Title IX issues.

Ok.............I guess I heard from a reliable source the cutting of WH was strictly an athletic budget issue or so it was sold as such. The vacated space dispute again is a byproduct of not having WH at the Ralph. Obviously I'm missing something.........

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Ok.............I guess I heard from a reliable source the cutting of WH was strictly an athletic budget issue or so it was sold as such. 

Paying REA $2 million per year on top of REA taking a large cut of ticket sales is an athletic budget issue.

26 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Paying REA $2 million per year on top of REA taking a large cut of ticket sales is an athletic budget issue.

We are talking just WH correct? First part.....agree. Second part.....large cut of tickets sales? There were no tickets sales for WH. If one was from the "rob Peter to pay Paul" camp to keep WH afloat then I can see your where you are going.

I don't see the REA being the villain in why WH was cut.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

We are talking just WH correct? First part.....agree. Second part.....large cut of tickets sales? There were no tickets sales for WH. The points you make in this scenario are far from mutually exclusive. If one was from the "rob Peter to pay Paul" camp to keep WH afloat then I can see your where you are going.

I'm talking all ticket sales and the overall athletics budget.  If REA can make money by having more open weekends, and thus not have to charge the university $2 million per year, that may be another reason (among a long list of reasons) to drop WIH. 

Kennedy said he met with REA and the Alerus to review the contracts and discuss ways to reduce cost and/or increase revenue to UND.  I have no proof, but I would put forward a theory that REA told him how they could make more money (and thus charge UND less).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

They aren't because everyone decided long ago that it was going to be UND/Mark Kennedy. But they didn't put up the resistance that people claimed they would. I think we're all essentially on the same page. The REA didn't come up with the idea but they didn't have much of a reason to be opposed to it and there were benefits in it happening for them. There are upsides to unfortunate decisions but numbers are what they are.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Kennedy said he met with REA and the Alerus to review the contracts and discuss ways to reduce cost and/or increase revenue to UND.  I have no proof, but I would put forward a theory that REA told him how they could make more money (and thus charge UND less).

Correct. The agreement between UND and the REA is based on ticket sales. If UND is using less resources at the REA and giving them some significant weekends availability to make more revenue, than the conversation about UND keeping a larger portion of the ticket sales becomes much more palatable for both sides.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm talking all ticket sales and the overall athletics budget.  If REA can make money by having more open weekends, and thus not have to charge the university $2 million per year, that may be another reason (among a long list of reasons) to drop WIH. 

It's a plausible theory and if true there needs to be some explaining done. Still my theory and from what I heard is that wasn't a big mitigating factor in this case. If it was a big component of cutting WH it would have been a topic on "Ellen" by now! ;) 

.........now back to the 14 page twins spread.

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

You could make this argument to get rid of most collegiate athletic programs. It was the size of the deficit that doomed WH, not that it didn't make money. Most collegiate programs lose money.

• Upvote 3