SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

Back to point:

There's 13 pages on this over at USCHO.

I'd say about 1.5 pages of truth and facts and the remainder is emotion and general "SMH". 

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?119842-REPORT-North-Dakota-cutting-women-s-hockey 

PS - About page 13 (post 250-ish) some bucket of cold water guy shows up with mean, objective, factual realities. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Back to point:

I'd say about 1.5 pages of truth and facts and the remainder is emotion and general "SMH". 

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?119842-REPORT-North-Dakota-cutting-women-s-hockey 

PS - About page 13 (post 250-ish) some bucket of cold water guy shows up with mean, objective, factual realities. 

just checked out USCHO thread. You have a perfectly good thread full of emotion, feelings, conjecture, and outright falsehoods and then someone has to go and ruin it with facts.

I  understand the sadness, the anger, all that. But really, UND WIH was totally blindsided?  They didn't see any of this coming?   Once the second round of  $ cuts was announced, it was obvious at least 1 or 2 sports would be gone.   And when info. came out that legal experts on Title IX were consulted, a lot of us thought whoa, it could be women's hockey.  But they didn't have any idea?  How can that be.

4 hours ago, hky said:

I  understand the sadness, the anger, all that. But really, UND WIH was totally blindsided?  They didn't see any of this coming?   Once the second round of  $ cuts was announced, it was obvious at least 1 or 2 sports would be gone.   And when info. came out that legal experts on Title IX were consulted, a lot of us thought whoa, it could be women's hockey.  But they didn't have any idea?  How can that be.

Sense of Entitlement-

The definition of entitlement is: the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges). A sense of entitlement complex is linked with narcissism and borderline personality disorder.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hky said:

I'm sure this has already been stated but Idalski's contract had also yet to be renewed. Knowing the school had to cut about $2 million in annual expenses from athletics, the title 9 lawyers, and knowing his contract had yet to be renewed, he and the team had to have a good idea. I suspect their timely practice was intentionally planned to add drama.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I'm sure this has already been stated but Idalski's contract had also yet to be renewed. Knowing the school had to cut about $2 million in annual expenses from athletics, the title 9 lawyers, and knowing his contract had yet to be renewed, he and the team had to have a good idea. I suspect their timely practice was intentionally planned to add drama.

Peter's was up after season, Idalski and Fabian were next year according to the UND press release.

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

I heard the team was on the ice when this all came down.  Oh, the humanity! ;)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

I heard the team was on the ice when this all came down.  Oh, the humanity! ;)

Yah, OFF season workouts, who cares.  Try being the Baseball team and finding out during your season.

Can you imagine the outrage if they cut it during the WH season?  

• Upvote 3

I'm feeling kind this morning. 

Add up the number of conference regular season championships, plus conference post season championships, plus national championships, that UND WIH has won, and I personally will pay for that many more seasons of UND WIH play.

As a reader's aid, here's a resource to help you calculate what I'm buying with my bold and gracious offer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm feeling kind this morning. 

Add up the number of conference regular season championships, plus conference post season championships, plus national championships, that UND WIH has won, and I personally will pay for that many more seasons of UND WIH play.

As a reader's aid, here's a resource to help you calculate what I'm buying with my bold and gracious offer.

I've definitely enjoyed reading your fact filled posts over there.  

You're raining on a lot of delusional parades.  :)

45 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I've definitely enjoyed reading your fact filled posts over there.  

You're raining on a lot of delusional parades.  :)

I do it to bring a smile to an old man's face. 
(Of course I'm talking about dead Abe Vigoda. ;)

And come on. Nothing for this gem in post 257 over there:

Idalski admitted to the GF Herald he suspected this was happening but didn't prepare his team. (I'll leave that hang right there.) 

I figured you, et al, would be all over that hanging curve. 

• Upvote 1

There are still two questions that bug me out of this whole thing

1) The "list of 12" sports when the IAC was in session, who was ultimately responsible for coming up with that list?  Was it Kennedy? Faison? IAC? someone else?

2) Why was this bookkeeping concept accepted for so long within the athletic department?

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

There are still two questions that bug me out of this whole thing

1) The "list of 12" sports when the IAC was in session, who was ultimately responsible for coming up with that list?  Was it Kennedy? Faison? IAC? someone else?

2) Why was this bookkeeping concept accepted for so long within the athletic department?

The list of 12 sports? Who knows. I'd speculate Kennedy in consultation with Athletics (Faison). But < shrug >. When the entire campus is under the budget microscope (three months after the IAC pulls a classic "do-nothing") because not of Kennedy and internal decisions, but because of the Governor, the Legislature, and external factors (no State dollars coming) if you don't realize that everything is back on the table you're just whistling past the graveyard. 

Regarding "bookkeeping" in athletics (everywhere): Hey, former Enron accountants need jobs too. ;) 

More seriously, the Feds have you report numbers one way; the NCAA wants the numbers another way; I'm guessing the State has you track them another. I'm thinking up to this point Athletics had been looked at to the "department" level (bottom line only). With the State budgets what they are things are getting looked at to the line item levels within every UND (every NDUS) department. That scrubbing is a good thing (good Lord, I'm starting to channel Rob Port). If not for the review by IAC, MIH would probably still be paying the full cost of REA usage for all of UND Athletics. Let's do some real accounting, accounting that would stand up to reasonability and matching tests under standard GAAP guidelines. 

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Back to point:

How dare you bring facts in and ruin a good argument!! :D